CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

6.8

2. replace rear axle bearings (6 reports)
  3. ford replaced rear end (3 reports)
  4. relaced seal (2 reports)
  5. replace ring and pinion (2 reports)
  6. Ford agreed to pick up the tab except for $200 (1 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer drivetrain problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012011

Explorer XS 4.0L V6

it started from the noise when speed up to 60 mph. and then a smell came out. Mechanic said the rear axle was melted. I have to pay because the car was out of 5 years warranty.

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Mar 102003

Explorer Limited 4.6L

Howling rear ends in the 21st century? I hope the manufacturers read these sites to see how they are thought of by the consumers.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jan 032011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Sounds like im driving a Sherman Tank! Road noise is horrible even with the windows up. If I put the windows down, It really sounds like im driving in the middle of a tornado.

- , Harlingen, TX, USA

Jan 012005

Explorer V6

Ring and Pinion needed replacing as the rear end whine has been getting progressively worse over last 40K miles. Turns out wheel bearings also needed replacement as well as ring and pinion. Total cost was $1700 and considering other reports of same problem with return of problem, I am hopeful this will not become recurring, otherwise, good-bye Ford next car purchase!

- , Inyokern, CA, USA

Aug 132010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I have only owned FORDS my whole life, as well as my family. I have 5 sitting in my driveway. NEVER had a problem with any of them except my 2003 Ford Explorer. It has horrible binding and grinding noise when turning left or right. Have fixed a few things and still hasn't fixed the problem. I always thought FORD stood behind their vehicles and thought they would make it right. Thinking about selling(if I can) and going to Imports. Disappointed with Ford.

- , New Castle, PA, USA

Dec 202010

Explorer Limited V8

I bought this vehicle for my daughter on 09/29/2010 from Discount Auto Inc. of Greenville, NC. I test drove the vehicle & there were several things wrong. The dealer SUPPOSEDLY fixed the problems. I then took it to my own mechanic to be checked out ... it checked out okay. In less than a month, the entire "cluster" went out. I had to pay almost $1000 to purchase a new one and have it installed & we were never able to retrieve the actual mileage from the computer b/c this information was lost. Then, I took it to a Ford dealership to have the light assembly over the licensed plate fixed (b/c it was broken when I bought it and DAI would not pay to have it fixed .. my BAD) and just as we were driving it in the parking lot to leave it, this horrible noise came from underneath, sounded as though something serious was about to fall off. According to the Ford place, it was b/c the tread was not w/in 1/4" on all 4 tires and as a safety feature, the truck was trying to lock up!!! Unbelievable. So I went out & purchased 4 brand new tires to the tune of $600 plus dollars and had them put on. While putting on the tires, the mechanic informed me that the right rear wheel bearing needed replaced ASAP. The cost, he said, would be around $400 @ the Ford place. I called my mechanic and took the vehicle by his place of business. The truck is still there & he is telling me that the right rear wheel was barely holding on and that chances are the rear differential will need to be replaced as well!!! R U kidding me???? i haven't had this vehicle even 90 days and I already have put well over $1000 in repairs and am facing yet another $1500 or so dollars in repairs w/no guarantee that this will do the trick !!! I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT NOR WILL I EVER SHOP W/DISCOUNT AUTO INC. OF GREENVILLE, NC again !!!

- , Stokes, NC, USA

Jul 012009

Explorer XLT V6

seems replacing the seals didnt help just got worse so now i have to replace the rear axle thanks alot ford you didnt take a bailout you just made stuff cheaper and not worth a crap.

- , Ruckersville, VA, USA

Oct 202010

Explorer Sport 4.0

I purchased this THING 10/2008 and IT had 89.000 miles on it, and 11/2008 I had a growling noise from the drivers front and I had to replace the hub assembly $475.00 parts and labor with life time warranty on the hub. In 4/2010 116000 miles the o/d light was flashing, I had to replace the transmission,I purchased a JASPER TRANSMISSION with 5years/100000 miles warranty,parts and labor $2750.00. On 10/2010 124000 miles the GROWLING started again but.from the rear and $1500.00 later pinion bearings and axle bearings in the rear with a life time warranty. With all of the problems with the bearings on many years of the FORD EXPLORER should FFFOOORRRDDD be responsible for some or all charges.REIMBURSED and a SAFETY RECALL. This could cause a major accident if the front wheel[s] did lock up because of a BEARING.

- , Laporte, IN, USA

Oct 152006

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I don't drive my wife's car that much so when I drove it the other day I seen the ABS light was on and heard a whining noise coming from the rear end. I asked my wife how long has the whining in the rear end. She said for a while, so I took it to the shop to see what code came up on the computer. Would you guess the rear end ABS code came up.The mechanic and I took a ride in the Explorer. He informed me, "hear it all the time in these vehicles". I just drained fluid out of my wife's 2003 Explorer rear end, because can't afford a rebuilt rear end, and noticed the fill plug not the drain plug was magnetized. It had a lot of sludge on it also. I come from old school and all I have seen is the drain plug magnetized, so the sludge stayed in the bottom. Can somebody tell me why the fill plug would be magnetized? Hopefully draining and replacing the oil in the rear end does the trick for a while until things get better.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jan 012004

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Right in line with the other folks having this issue. Sounds like worn tires and gets louder with increasing speed. Nice that's it's my wife's vehicle and I've got a 2 year old and a 6 year old in it with her. I first noticed it around 9-10k miles and the Ford dealer mentioned something about bearings but let it break in more. Now as it is pretty loud, the local repair shop tells me it's the ring and pinion and a few $k to fix! It only has 47k miles and even if I had the extended warranty, it would have expired by now. Come on Ford, where is the recall? Or a suitable replacement that will last for the life of the vehicle.

- , Londonderry, NH, USA

Jun 042008

Explorer XL 4.0L

Already gone through the replacement of both the front and rear wheel bearing packs. Then starts the loud growl from the rear end? anytime I coast at higher speeds. Sounds like a loud tire noise but instantly disappears when I apply the throttle. Coasting down a hill at 65MPH there is a constant loud growl, that I assume is from the rear end. I checked with some local repair shops and they said run it until it falls apart - it may last for another 3,000 or 30,000 miles. Arrrrrgh!

- , Rootstown, OH, USA

Mar 012007

Explorer Sport 4.0L V6

At 51,000 miles had to replace the rear bearings and seals.

Now at 70,000 I must replace the ring and pinion.

Garage kept, babied vehicle, looks new, what's the deal?

- , Toms Brook, VA, USA

Sep 012008

Explorer XLT V6

We have had problem after problem with this car. The current problem is the grinding noise in the rear axle which they have told us is the ring & pinion. Estimated cost is $1600. We still have not had it fixed - it's sitting in the driveway until we figure out whether to invest the money in a car that just keeps breaking. By the way, we just paid it off and the warranty just ran out.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Sep 252008

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

Piece of crap vehicle, don't buy one there not worth it.

- , Elkhart, Indiana, USA

Mar 012008

Explorer

Loud rear noise and I understand that this is a common problem with 2003 Explorers. Shouldn't Ford pay for all of the repair or at least part of the repair.

- , Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

May 312007

Explorer V6

rear axle noise when driving

- , Muskegon, MI, USA

Jul 032007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

ABS sensor light comes on occasionally, never knowing when ABS will kick in when stopping, take it to dealer and have ABS sensor and axle seal leaking in rear differential replaced under extended warranty(past the 3 YEAR) BUT THEY DIDN'T CHANGE THE DIFFERENTIAL LUBE!! pulled the top check plug on the diff and all kinds of metal fragments (assuming from broken ABS sensor)stuck to magnet on check plug, drained and refilled on my own. Might want to check magnet on your fill plug if you have had the same repairs.

- , Keswick, Ontario, Canada

Apr 012008

Explorer XLS V6

well i would complain and believe me i would because i own 3 Fords all fairly new .

but i wouldn't know how to contact you assholes since you moved to freaking Mexico. thanks. you people @ ford need to take care of the problems you dumped on us.

- , Riverside, RI, USA

Feb 262008

Explorer

i have the same problem, unfortunately i purchased the vehicle at 56,000 miles and my warranty was for 2000 miles or 2 months. I immediately heard the noise when I drove the car home and complained to the dealer. The dealer suggested to drive for 1000 miles and then if noise persist bring it in to service, end result they will replace the ring and pinion for free no deductible at 57,000 miles and ring & pinion has a warranty for 1yr 12,000 miles. Now i wish I bought a different vehicle.

- , Duluth, GA, USA

Mar 032008

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

For approx. 1 year now the rear end of my car has been making a grinding noise. Most noticeable when I go from a stopped position. Also, the noise happens when I turn left or right after being in stopped. The grinding noise was occasionally happening but now it seems to be every time I go. Now I have heard a whining noise when I accelerate to about 60mph. When I let off the gas and coast I do not hear the whining anymore. This vehicle has been a problem ever since I bought it. I would like to trade it in but probably won't get much for it. Looking back I wish I never bought it. Trying to help out local plant and buy a ford since my husband also works for ford. Next time I will think twice before purchasing a ford. Maybe if ford would step up and take care of their mistakes they wouldn't have such a bad rep.

- , Louisville, KY, USA