- June 19: Ford Wins Lincoln Town Car Airbag Lawsuit news | 7 days ago
- June 3: Ford PowerShift Transmission Lawsuit Includes Fiesta and Focus news | 23 days ago
- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 29 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 32 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls Trucks With Aftermarket Door Handle Covers recalls | 32 days ago
Transfer Case/4 Wheel Drive Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 86,250 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 8 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (6 reports)
- replace module, change transfer case fluid, buy 4 new tires (2 reports)