- December 2: Ford Recalls 680,000 Fusion, Mondeo and Lincoln MKZ Cars recalls | 6 days ago
- November 28: Ford Panoramic Sunroof Lawsuit Dropped by Plaintiffs news | 10 days ago
- November 25: 2016 Ford Explorer Throttle Body Lawsuit Investigation Opened news | 13 days ago
- November 8: Ford Focus Purge Valve Focus of Lawsuit news | 30 days ago
- November 5: Ford Door Latch Recall Closes Ford Focus Investigation investigations | 33 days ago
2003 Ford Explorer
fuel system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2003 Explorer fuel system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- low fuel warning light stopped working1
- pigtail on inertia switch melted1
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline4
- NHTSA: Fuel/Propulsion System3
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Delivery2
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Delivery: Fuel Pump1
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Fuel Injection System1
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Gasoline: Storage: Tank Assembly1
- NHTSA: Fuel System, Other1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.