CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

5.3

2. tensionator (1 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer seat belts / air bags problems

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 052012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Air Bag Light On and Off during cold temperature. It's disabled due to bad connections.

- , Saint Paul, MN, USA

Oct 202014

Explorer XLT

Should be a recall issue. Makes the light come on. Its under the seat and it breaks because of the movement of the seat back and forth.

- , VA Beach, VA, USA

Sep 172014

Explorer NBX 4.0L, V6

The airbag warning light came on. I did not count the blinks, but I think it blinked 3 times, then 4, then the light stayed on. My first thought was "what the hell is wrong with this car now" as I just had the transmission rebuilt at 114,500 miles by AAMCO who was significantly less expensive than the dealer, but that is a separate complaint. Anyway, as my wife had moved the seat when she drove it the day before, I moved it all the way back to where I normally have it. The light went off. When I got home, I looked up the problem in this forum. Some folks suggested disconnecting and reconnecting both sets of wires under the front seats, but that is a pain in the rear as they are hard to see and reach. I just jiggled the wires and made sure the connections were tight by squeezing them. I drove it around again, but no light this time.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA