- September 29: Ford Recalls Focus and Transit Connect Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 1 days ago
- September 26: Jury Rules Ford Escape Airbag Caused Man to Kill Himself news | 4 days ago
- September 22: Ford Shattering Sunroofs Cause Class-Action Lawsuit news | 8 days ago
- September 8: Ford Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles Over Door Latches recalls | 22 days ago
- August 28: Ford Explorer Exhaust Lawsuit Settled by Parties news | 33 days ago
2003 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2003 Explorer suspension Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- broken coil springs9
- clicking noise from rear of vehicle2
- clunk from front end while driving2
- rear struts are shot2
- bumpy feeling when driving1
- coil springs rusted1
- upper control arm rotted away1
- upper front balljoints require lubrication1
- NHTSA: Suspension26
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear16
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Wheel Bearing 11
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front7
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear: Springs: Coil Springs3
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Upper Ball Joint1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Springs: Coil Springs1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear: Axle: Spindle1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear: Springs1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.