- March 25: Ford Recalls 221,000 Vehicles in Three Recalls
- March 23: Ford Focus and Fusion Power Steering Lawsuit Dismissed
- March 18: Ford Unintended Acceleration Lawsuit Filed in Louisiana
- March 12: Massive Car Hacking Lawsuit Filed Against Ford, GM and Toyota
- March 3: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Expanded
2003 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2003 Explorer transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- o/d light flashes235
- transmission failure76
- transmission slips, upshifts hard occasionally41
- clunking into gear23
- RPMs too high shifting from 1st to 2nd gear21
- transmission slipping16
- delay when shifting15
- transmission grinding with acceleration5
- band broke and messed up housing3
- rattling noise from transmission3
- not able to service properly and fast2
- o/d light is on2
- shifting roughly2
- difficult to shift into "park"1
- downshifts too easily, poor gas mileage1
- failure to shift out of park1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission67
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter8
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Park/Neutral ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2003 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.