Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2. replace with rebuilt transmission (51 reports)
  3. replace the transmission (39 reports)
  4. complete overhaul recommended (18 reports)
  5. rebuild transmission (16 reports)
  6. rebuilt transmission installed (8 reports)
2003 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2003 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 13 of 13)

May 012007

Explorer Eddie Bauer` 4.6L V8

First of all lets just say that I love my Explorer. Its my Second one. My first was a 96 xlt and it worked great. I just bought a 2003 eddie bauer explorer and baby it. I always do the maintenance required use synthetic oil, etc. then with no warning at 29,002 miles, my O/D light begins to flash rapidly and my message console says check transmission. I turn my car off, then back on and the light goes away. Then next day the light returns and I immediately take it to a automatic transmission specialist. They say the problem has to do with the clutch slipping at high speeds and I must replace the Valve body and possible the Torque converter. The valve body is 700 bucks installed and the torgue converter is 23000 bucks. The car is over 3 years old so I'm off Ford's warranty and I'm pretty frustrated with major repairs at only 29K miles. Also, when the light went off, I though it was just a sensor because the thing drove PERFECTLY. But they say work must be done and I trust the place that I brought the car to for repairs. After reading all of theses posts it seems like there are a TON of problem with 2002 and later explorer transmissions. I'd like to fix the car and keep driving for a long time but I'm not willing to pay a ton of money again when it hits 60,000 miles. I only hope that the parts that are going into my vehicle now are better than the original ones that came with it. I'm not saying I hate Ford just yet but I'm pretty upset at this problem so far.

- , Anchorage, AK, USA