- May 4: Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Brake Hose Failures Investigated
- May 1: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Problems Turn Into Huge Recall
- April 29: Ford Recalls 593,000 Vehicles in 4 Recalls
- April 24: Ford Recalls 390,000 Cars After 658 Door Latch Complaints
- April 13: Ford Ordered to Pay $3 Million in Crash of 2001 Ford Ranger
O/D Light Flashes
2003 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 12)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 104,082 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 235 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (94 reports)
- replace with rebuilt transmission (50 reports)
- replace the transmission (37 reports)
- complete overhaul recommended (17 reports)
- rebuild transmission (15 reports)
- rebuilt transmission installed (8 reports)