- January 26: Ford Recalls Ranger Trucks After Driver Killed by Airbag recalls | 16 days ago
- January 22: Ford Ranger Driver Killed by Takata Airbag in South Carolina news | 20 days ago
- January 19: Ford Focus Door Latch Problems Earn Investigation investigations | 23 days ago
- January 10: Investigation Closed Into Ford Edge 22-Inch Alloy Wheels investigations | 32 days ago
- December 29: Ford Recalls 10,000 Vehicles For Engine Problems and Fire Risk recalls | 44 days ago
O/D Light Flashes
2003 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 12)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 104,790 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 240 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (94 reports)
- replace with rebuilt transmission (51 reports)
- replace the transmission (39 reports)
- complete overhaul recommended (18 reports)
- rebuild transmission (16 reports)
- rebuilt transmission installed (8 reports)