- September 15: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Underway
- September 12: Ford Recalls Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid After Engines Stall
- August 22: Ford Recalls Vehicles With Leaking Gas Tanks and Flying Roof Glass
- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
- August 14: Ford Recalls 83,000 Vehicles Because of One Small C-Clip
Front Wheel Bearing Failure
2003 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 4)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 80,492 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 69 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace wheel bearing (41 reports)
- replace complete hub assembly (19 reports)
- not sure (7 reports)
- Ford should recall (2 reports)
wheels / hubs problem