- April 5: Ford Door Sensor Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 18 days ago
- April 1: Ford Recalls F-250 Trucks Over Rollaway Dangers recalls | 22 days ago
- March 30: Ford Recalls Escape, Fiesta ST, Fusion and Transit Connect After 29 Fires recalls | 24 days ago
- March 30: Ford Door Latch Recall For Fiesta, Fusion and Lincoln MKZ recalls | 24 days ago
- March 29: Ford Recalls F-450 and F-550 Trucks to Replace Driveshafts recalls | 25 days ago
Loud Humming Noise From Front Wheel
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 91,746 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 12 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (8 reports)
- dealer replaced wheel bearing (3 reports)
- replaced wheel hub (1 reports)
wheels / hubs problem