- July 23: Ford Transit Driveshaft Flexible Coupling Lawsuit Filed news | 2 days ago
- July 20: Ford Expands Chrome Door Handle Cover Recall recalls | 5 days ago
- July 16: Ford Recalls Edge, Fusion and Lincoln MKZ Over Torque Converters recalls | 9 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls Escape and Police Interceptors recalls | 26 days ago
- June 28: Ford Recalls 402,000 Transit Vans For Driveshaft Problems recalls | 27 days ago
Rear Window Hinge Fractured, Window Fell
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2003 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 91,475 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 11 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- need to replace rear hinges myself (5 reports)
- Ford refused warranty coverage, had to pay to repair (3 reports)
- not sure (2 reports)
- replaced replacement hinges (1 reports)
windows / windshield problem