- July 17: Ford Lawsuit Claims Steering Defects in Ford Fusion and Focus Cars
- July 12: Investigation Looks at Steering Problems in 500,000 Ford Cars
- July 9: Ford Recalls Cars and SUVs for Flying Roof Glass and Roll Away Danger
- June 29: Ford Dealers Told How to Fix Rough Idle and Rattle Noise
- June 25: Ford Recalls F-150 Over Steering Problems, Tells Owners to Park Trucks
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems748NHTSA complaints: 389
- transmission problems528NHTSA complaints: 331
- interior accessories problems315NHTSA complaints: 15
- engine problems123NHTSA complaints: 144
- AC / heater problems88NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems87NHTSA complaints: 81
- drivetrain problems79NHTSA complaints: 111
- wheels / hubs problems74NHTSA complaints: 45
- suspension problems14NHTSA complaints: 34
- electrical problems9NHTSA complaints: 40
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 46
- seat belts / air bags problems7NHTSA complaints: 21
- cooling system problems6NHTSA complaints: 3
- steering problems5NHTSA complaints: 32
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 29
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 43
- exhaust system problems1
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 17
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.