- April 27: Ford Recalls 285,000 Cars and SUVs in 5 Recalls recalls | 5 days ago
- April 12: Ford F-150 SuperCab Takes Top Crash Test Award news | 20 days ago
- March 31: Ford Recalls 48,000 Vehicles in 3 Recalls recalls | 32 days ago
- March 20: Ford Trucks Won't Be Recalled For Stalling Problems investigations | 43 days ago
- March 6: Judge Denies Ford's Motion to Dismiss Power Steering Lawsuit news | 57 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems849NHTSA complaints: 420
- transmission problems581NHTSA complaints: 331
- interior accessories problems317NHTSA complaints: 16
- engine problems138NHTSA complaints: 167
- AC / heater problems104NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems102NHTSA complaints: 88
- wheels / hubs problems89NHTSA complaints: 57
- drivetrain problems85NHTSA complaints: 128
- brakes problems32NHTSA complaints: 51
- suspension problems18NHTSA complaints: 38
- electrical problems14NHTSA complaints: 49
- seat belts / air bags problems9NHTSA complaints: 35
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems6NHTSA complaints: 32
- steering problems5NHTSA complaints: 36
- exterior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 49
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 31
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.