- March 3: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Expanded
- February 24: Ford Recalls F-250 and F-350 Trucks With Replacement Steering Gears
- February 8: Ford Explorer Leaking Brake Hose Investigation Closed
- February 3: Ford Lawsuit Alleges Engine Problems in 2004-2008 Models
- February 1: Ford Recalls 221,000 Vehicles To Repair Door Handles and Seat Belts
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems819NHTSA complaints: 139
- transmission problems559NHTSA complaints: 226
- interior accessories problems333NHTSA complaints: 14
- engine problems133NHTSA complaints: 67
- AC / heater problems98NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems96NHTSA complaints: 26
- wheels / hubs problems85NHTSA complaints: 19
- drivetrain problems81NHTSA complaints: 37
- suspension problems17NHTSA complaints: 17
- electrical problems12NHTSA complaints: 26
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 26
- seat belts / air bags problems8NHTSA complaints: 13
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems4NHTSA complaints: 20
- steering problems4NHTSA complaints: 13
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 1
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 18
- exhaust system problems1
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 4
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.