- August 18: Ford Recalls 26,400 Ford F-650 and F-750 Trucks
- August 15: Ford Headlights Not Working? Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis Investigated
- August 8: Ford F-150 Aluminum-Body Crash Test Results
- August 4: Lincoln MKT Livery SUVs Recalled For Wrong Placard
- July 30: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Gets Green Light
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems831NHTSA complaints: 415
- transmission problems572NHTSA complaints: 331
- interior accessories problems340NHTSA complaints: 16
- engine problems134NHTSA complaints: 162
- AC / heater problems101NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems98NHTSA complaints: 84
- wheels / hubs problems85NHTSA complaints: 56
- drivetrain problems84NHTSA complaints: 125
- suspension problems18NHTSA complaints: 38
- electrical problems13NHTSA complaints: 48
- seat belts / air bags problems9NHTSA complaints: 30
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 51
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems5NHTSA complaints: 32
- steering problems5NHTSA complaints: 36
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 3
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 47
- exhaust system problems1
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 33
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.