- November 28: Ford Tosses Takata, Toyota Recalls Takata Airbags
- November 23: Ford Recalls 452,000 Cars To Fix Gas Tank Leaks
- November 21: Ford Recalls E-350 and E-450 For Trailer Brake Problems
- October 28: Ford Recalls 131,000 Vehicles, Mostly SUVs For Fire Risk
- October 20: Ford F-150 Electric Brake Vacuum Pump Investigation Upgraded
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems838NHTSA complaints: 415
- transmission problems574NHTSA complaints: 331
- interior accessories problems342NHTSA complaints: 16
- engine problems136NHTSA complaints: 162
- AC / heater problems102NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems98NHTSA complaints: 84
- wheels / hubs problems86NHTSA complaints: 56
- drivetrain problems84NHTSA complaints: 125
- suspension problems18NHTSA complaints: 38
- electrical problems13NHTSA complaints: 48
- brakes problems9NHTSA complaints: 51
- seat belts / air bags problems9NHTSA complaints: 30
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems5NHTSA complaints: 32
- steering problems5NHTSA complaints: 36
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 47
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 3
- exhaust system problems1
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 33
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.