- November 25: Ford Cleared in Steering Defect Investigation of 500,000 Cars
- November 18: Ford Fusions Recalled So They Don't Roll Away
- November 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Fumes Lawsuit Still Breathing
- November 4: Ford Recalls 202,000 Vehicles For Numerous Defects
- October 30: Ford Recalls 205,000 SUVs That Can Catch Fire
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems788NHTSA complaints: 389
- transmission problems552NHTSA complaints: 331
- interior accessories problems326NHTSA complaints: 15
- engine problems132NHTSA complaints: 144
- AC / heater problems95NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems92NHTSA complaints: 81
- wheels / hubs problems82NHTSA complaints: 45
- drivetrain problems81NHTSA complaints: 111
- suspension problems16NHTSA complaints: 34
- electrical problems12NHTSA complaints: 40
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 46
- seat belts / air bags problems8NHTSA complaints: 21
- cooling system problems6NHTSA complaints: 3
- steering problems4NHTSA complaints: 32
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 43
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 29
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- exhaust system problems1
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 17
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.