- November 26: Ford Recalls 150,000 Escapes That Could Go Up in Flames
- November 23: Ford Recalls Focus Electric Car For Transmission Software Problems
- October 27: Ford Recalls Cars With Silent Door Chimes
- September 30: Drive a Ford F-250? Better Lock the Doors
- September 11: Ford Focus Electric Cars Target of Federal Investigation
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- body / paint problems713NHTSA complaints: 379
- transmission problems614NHTSA complaints: 330
- interior accessories problems106NHTSA complaints: 15
- engine problems87NHTSA complaints: 140
- drivetrain problems84NHTSA complaints: 105
- AC / heater problems81NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems73NHTSA complaints: 79
- wheels / hubs problems68NHTSA complaints: 45
- electrical problems60NHTSA complaints: 40
- fuel system problems31NHTSA complaints: 29
- brakes problems25NHTSA complaints: 45
- steering problems23NHTSA complaints: 30
- suspension problems11NHTSA complaints: 34
- cooling system problems10NHTSA complaints: 3
- seat belts / air bags problems7NHTSA complaints: 20
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 41
- exhaust system problems1
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 20
- lights problemsNHTSA: 2
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.