- September 15: Ford Fiesta Door Latch Investigation Underway
- September 12: Ford Recalls Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid After Engines Stall
- August 22: Ford Recalls Vehicles With Leaking Gas Tanks and Flying Roof Glass
- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
- August 14: Ford Recalls 83,000 Vehicles Because of One Small C-Clip
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems751NHTSA complaints: 389
- transmission problems529NHTSA complaints: 331
- interior accessories problems317NHTSA complaints: 15
- engine problems125NHTSA complaints: 144
- AC / heater problems91NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems88NHTSA complaints: 81
- drivetrain problems80NHTSA complaints: 111
- wheels / hubs problems74NHTSA complaints: 45
- suspension problems15NHTSA complaints: 34
- electrical problems10NHTSA complaints: 40
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 46
- seat belts / air bags problems7NHTSA complaints: 21
- cooling system problems6NHTSA complaints: 3
- steering problems4NHTSA complaints: 32
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 29
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 43
- exhaust system problems1
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 17
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.