- January 26: Ford Recalls Ranger Trucks After Driver Killed by Airbag recalls | 11 days ago
- January 22: Ford Ranger Driver Killed by Takata Airbag in South Carolina news | 15 days ago
- January 19: Ford Focus Door Latch Problems Earn Investigation investigations | 18 days ago
- January 10: Investigation Closed Into Ford Edge 22-Inch Alloy Wheels investigations | 27 days ago
- December 29: Ford Recalls 10,000 Vehicles For Engine Problems and Fire Risk recalls | 39 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- body / paint problems845NHTSA complaints: 415
- transmission problems577NHTSA complaints: 331
- interior accessories problems316NHTSA complaints: 16
- engine problems138NHTSA complaints: 162
- AC / heater problems103NHTSA complaints: 3
- windows / windshield problems101NHTSA complaints: 84
- wheels / hubs problems89NHTSA complaints: 56
- drivetrain problems84NHTSA complaints: 125
- brakes problems32NHTSA complaints: 51
- suspension problems18NHTSA complaints: 38
- electrical problems13NHTSA complaints: 48
- seat belts / air bags problems9NHTSA complaints: 30
- cooling system problems7NHTSA complaints: 3
- fuel system problems5NHTSA complaints: 32
- steering problems5NHTSA complaints: 36
- exterior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 47
- lights problems3NHTSA complaints: 3
- exhaust system problems1
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 33
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.