- November 23: Ford Recalls 452,000 Cars To Fix Gas Tank Leaks
- November 21: Ford Recalls E-350 and E-450 For Trailer Brake Problems
- October 28: Ford Recalls 131,000 Vehicles, Mostly SUVs For Fire Risk
- October 20: Ford F-150 Electric Brake Vacuum Pump Investigation Upgraded
- October 3: Investigation Expanded Into Ford Explorer Police Interceptors
Blend Door In Hvac System Makes Loud Clicking Noise
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 91,483 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 40 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (13 reports)
- fix blend door motor is slipping or blend door is broken (11 reports)
- replace blend door actuator (9 reports)
- replace blend door (7 reports)
AC / heater problem