- October 3: Investigation Expanded Into Ford Explorer Police Interceptors
- September 30: Ford Recalls 380,000 Vehicles in 6 Recalls
- September 15: Ford Mustang Hood Corrosion Lawsuit Tossed Out
- September 7: Ford Explorer Cracked Rear Panel Lawsuit Seeks Class Certification
- August 18: Ford Recalls 26,400 Ford F-650 and F-750 Trucks
Blend Door In Hvac System Makes Loud Clicking Noise
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 91,483 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 40 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (13 reports)
- fix blend door motor is slipping or blend door is broken (11 reports)
- replace blend door actuator (9 reports)
- replace blend door (7 reports)
AC / heater problem