9.0

2. replace plastic switch under dashboard (4 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Oct 012013

Explorer DOT V6

The first time was in 2007 and I had to replace actuator door. it was stripped and cost $300.00. Second time, 2010, had to replace heater box $1,100.00 to fix. Third time Oct 2013 no heat again, stated it is going to cost me $1,600.00.

Come on Ford, after the third time you need to step up and admit you have a problem with the heaters in Ford Explorers. After doing research on the internet there are thousands of complaints. The same problem I have . Not sure what I'm going to do, don't have money to fix it and winter is coming. Dealership states they can't do anything for me. Baystate Ford Easton,MA FORD SUCKS

- , South Easton, MA, USA

Nov 202009

Explorer 4.6L V8

Froze in the winter and still does not work correctly.

- , Lapeer, Mich, USA

Jan 022011

Explorer

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH FORD EXPLORERS. I THOUGHT THAT THIS WAS A QUALITY VEHICLE AND THAT FORD STOOD BEHIND THE VEHICLES THAT IT MAKES.

- , Norfolk, Virginia, USA

Feb 012010

Explorer XLT 4.6L

Ford suck!!!! This heating problem has been going on for years now and now people are just starting put it up. I think that Ford should recall all of this and fix it for free. It's my second year having this car and all of my other cars never had this problem it's so BS!!!

- , Kitchener, ON, Canada

May 062010

Explorer 6.0L

when you switch to heater from ac it will not switch

- , Riverton, WY, USA

Feb 012009

Explorer XL 3.2L

My heater does not work. I have gone the whole winter without it. When it snowed, the defroster did not work since there was not heat coming out to defrost the windows and melt the snow. My husband was driving home from work and had to pull over because he could not see out of the window at all. I took the truck to the shop and they wanted to charge at least $500 to pull the dashboard out and see what the problem was. They think the door flap that switches from heat to air has melted over time (since it was made of plastic) and the part was on back order. Ford did not even have a date that the part would be available, so I was not going to pay $500 to have to wait on a part that we had no idea would be in. I think Ford should fix this problem for free. It is their part that failed. I mean, who puts a plastic part in an area where there is a lot of heat? If anyone knows of a recall on this, please let me know.

- , Douglasville, Georgia, USA

Feb 222010

Explorer LX V8

THIS NEEDS TO BE RECALLED , MY MOTHERS TRUCK DID IT , MY TRUCK DID IT AND THE TOWN COP TRUCKS ALL 6 FAILED , THIS IS AN ONGOING PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO BE TAKEN CARE OF ...ITS DANGEROUS WHEN YOU CANT DRIVE YOUR TRUCK THAT YOU PAY FOR AT NIGHT OR IN THE COLD BECAUSE THERE'S NO DEFROST OR HEAT.. WHAT THE HECK...

- , East Bridgewater, MA, USA

Aug 122008

Explorer XLT

We had this checked out, and was told it would be atleast $500 to take the dashboard off to fix a possible $20 item. I had never had the heating unit broken until know and I have only heard of Fords with this problem. This needs to be recalled and fixed over and over if necessary.

- , Clover, SC, USA