- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 1 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls Trucks With Aftermarket Door Handle Covers recalls | 1 days ago
- May 22: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Fumes Plague Police news | 4 days ago
- May 16: Ford Antifreeze Leak Recall May Not Be Good Enough news | 10 days ago
- April 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Leak Lawsuit Dismissed by Judge news | 33 days ago
Interior Light Console Falling Off The Roof
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- No data
- Average Mileage:
- 75,167 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 6 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (4 reports)
- Ford did fix this (1 reports)
- replace whole console frame (1 reports)
accessories - interior problem