6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (293 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 11 of 38)

Jan 012011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

cracked panel below the rear window

I became aware that Ford Explorers were susceptible to cracking of the rear trim panel below the window from observations of other Ford Explorers while driving. I warned every driver of the car to be very careful closing the back lift gate and back window hatch, yet one day a crack was there. As time has gone on, the crack has grown and new cracks have appeared.

My biggest concern is the resale value of the car being compromised. I had initially chosen to purchase a Ford (used with low mileage) because they didn't take government bailout money. But now with this crack issue I've lost a great deal of respect for the company. I used to hate the bulk and rattle of the Dodge Ram pickup trucks, but now am actually considering changing my plans to purchase a Ford truck with the Dodge truck. I'll do a better job of investigating complaints before I buy any car or truck from this point forward; right here at Car Complaints dot com.

- , Fort Collins, CO, USA

Dec 262011

Explorer XLT V6

I also have other problems that Ford fixed and then the exact same thing happened (not fixed yet) and now the rear panel cracks in half. I have owned a lot of Fords, and had problems, but they were so small that i did not even know they were there until i got a recall letter. Now i am having bigger problems,and i find out i am not alone by far, and i can't get Ford to give even a good answer. I get answers like , if it is a real problem, there will be a recall. I am now waiting for Ford to do the right thing and recall and fix all these problems.

- , Belleville, NJ, USA

Jan 012012

Explorer 2.4L

I just don't understand how the rear of your vehicle can have a crack in the center of it!!!

it's horrible; I'm worried about it cracking and as the summer months come it will get worst.

- , Katy, TX, US

Feb 012012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Vehicle is a piece of CRAP. Already had to have front pinion seal and coolant housing replaced due to blown head gasket. Within 6 months after these repairs the alternator went. A month and a half ago, the tensioner broke. Extended warranty is highway robbery unless you purchase everything meaning very little above was covered. Now the panel on the lift gate below the rear window is cracked all the way down the middle. Tried to buy American, but what a JOKE. My 2004 Toyota Highlander has 105,000 miles and I have not had any of these repairs except the normal maintenance done at their respective intervals. Will never buy another Ford.

- , Harper Woods, MI, USA

Feb 152012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.8L V8

A couple of years ago the hinges on the rear window broke, and now this; not to mention the two wheel bearings that had to be replaced. Considering the initial cash outlay I paid, along with the on-going expenses, I'll think twice before buying another Ford.

- , Neenah, WI, USA

Nov 122007

Explorer XLT V6

when i called ford customer service to see if they could help me they said no. now i find out there at that time there was a special assistance program. called them back today to see if i could get my money back they said no they never heard of any program. they just don't want to help because so many cars have this problem and would cost them to must money to help!

- , Glen Burnie, MD, US

Dec 022011

Explorer XLT V6

When I first noticed this crack I showed it to my Ford Dealer to see what they had to say. Their reply was yes we have seen this before so it is not uncommon. So if this is the situation and obviously a design defect then why doesn't Ford step up to the plate and put out a recall?? Then just for fun I called different Ford dealers to see if they had the part in stock. Yes they did so that tells me if they are going to keep the part in stock that it definitely is a PROBLEM. I have been treated well by our local dealership but I feel their hands are tied in fixing this problem without any cost to me. My problem is with FORD Motor Co. They need to remember that the best and worst advertising you can get is word of mouth. Personally, unless Ford fixes this I won't buy another Ford product.

- , Entiat, WA, USA

Dec 192011

Explorer XLT 4.3L V6

Called Ford and "at this time their are no recalls for your vehicle" but I heard that its common. All I have to do is wait and see what course of action Ford takes with this issue. Buy American, lets boost the economy guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Chicago, IL, US

Jan 122012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

Back lift window cracked through frame. I see why Ford changed this in later models back to the glass lift again. I think they should stand good for this. I see the average cost if we have it fixed is $400 plus dollars. I have spent enough on wheel bearings and oil leaks already and do not want to spend anymore.

- , Redding, CA, US

Oct 012011

Explorer 4.0L V6

FORD ? REALLY ?? I have spent only a few minutes on the internet and found MANY complaints about this issue and Ford is telling people it isn't an "issue". Since my "CRACK" reared its' ugly head I have noticed almost every 2002 - 2005 Explorer with the dreaded "CRACK" and all I am reading is Ford will do nothing about it. I have joined the Facebook page dedicated to the "CRACK" and intend to be as vocal as I can. I am looking for information on how to join the class action suit. Maybe HBO can film a special....."Cracked in America".

- , Flowery Branch, GA, USA

Jul 042010

Explorer ES V6

At first I thought that I did something. Then i started noticing other cars and when ever I seen another car I immediately look at the back panel and sure enough it is cracked under the glass-

It is very annoying knowing that this problem exist and that no one from ford has acknowledged any of the complaints-I will now call ford and report the issue-I will in fact let everyone who i see with the same problem know to call ford.

i would like the problem fixed-this is my only car and would like to keep it-

- , Newark, DE, US

Sep 012010

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Back panel cracked and is ugly and looks tacky. Don't know what the complications for leakage into the back door may be. Nice car on the outside except for that. I see the same problem on Explorers all over in just our own town, so there are a lot more of them out there that 543.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 242010

Explorer 4.0L

If the ford company want fix a crack in the plastic panel under the rear window or recall the on going problem. They must not be concerned about selling any of there explorers in the future. If they want fix a crack that goes through their ford name then that tells me what kind of service they have or warranty on standing behind there product. why buy a ford if they want fix the problems.Just go buy a Chevrolet you will get better service and less problems. Its awful that ford company lets a simple fix or recall ruin their business. I just wanted to let everyone know about how ford stands behind their product and warranty.

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Dec 212011

cracked panel below the rear window

We had a mild cold spell and the crack appeared. A few days after doing some on-line research I saw this was a common problem. I spoke to a lady with a 2005 Eddie Bauer, with the same problem. I guess when the Ford Design Engineers were in Materials class, they missed the section on coefficients of expansion.

- , West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Nov 112011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

cracked panel below the rear window

I bought the suv used about a month ago and didn't even notice the crack. I am one of the lucky ones...I guess I would say. The spot where mine is cracked is directly in the middle of the Ford symbol and perfectly straight. I was informed the Explorer had been in a former wreck when I bought it, and everything had been repaired,so it looked like a spot where something was just repaired, and I was satisfied with it. My dad actually noticed other explorers on the road with similar cracks around or in the same spot. I think Ford should recall the part that is below the window. It would bother me more if I knew I would be keeping the car longer than about a year, but I just needed the suv for the back seat space for carseats for the kids I babysit.

- , Lexington, SC, USA

Jan 192012

Explorer XLT 4.0L

I NOTICE A CRACK IN THE REAR PANEL ONE DAY WIHCH WAS NOT THERE THE DAY BEFORE. I DID NOT OPERATE THE REAR DOOR DURING THAT TIME THAT WOULD CAUSE THIS CRACK, NOR DID I HIT ANY THING OR WAS HIT.

- , Elizabeth City, NC, US

Oct 222011

Explorer XLT V6

Happened after a cold snap. Seems to be a common problem that Ford will not fix. Looks like there is a class action lawsuit against Ford filed 12/22/2010 in CA.

- , Mobile, AL, USA

Jan 142012

Explorer

seriously - this is the 2nd problem I've had with the rear hatch. my 3rd and final explorer

- , Medina, OH, USA

Apr 072010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Will Ford cover this problem? It seems many people have the same exact problem with the same make and model.

- , New York, Levittown, USA

Oct 222011

Explorer XLT Eddie Bauer V6

Thought it was just mine but obviously this is a common problem and Ford needs to do a recall!!

- , Harleysville, PA, USA