6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (293 reports)
  3. replace panel (113 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 13 of 38)

Nov 152011

Explorer XLT 6.0L

I have been a Ford person for 50 years. This will be my last one if they don't issue a recall.

- , Paradise, CAA, USA

Nov 012011

Explorer Limited V6

love the truck hate the gas guzzling. but this crack that seems to be so common on these explorers really goes up my ass backwards. im all for any solutions that can take care of this problem. thanks to all and keep me informed ill do the same. waffen ss.

- , Saugus, MA, USA

Feb 122011

Explorer LX V6

It pisses me off that FORD knows this is happening to their Suv's and they aren't repairing them before they put them on the lot so in my book they are selling DAMAGED GOODS....I paid almost 30,000 for my SUV and I take VERY good car of my car and to have a huge crack down the middle of my hatch by no fault of my own is CRAZY and the best part is it will cost 450.00 to repair. We my family own 5 Fords and I truly havent had any issues with Ford but this is putting a very bad taste in my mouth I am truly not sure if I would buy another Ford because they should fix this PROBLEM they need to OWN up to it and REPAIR if for FREE.................Its the RIGHT thing to do!

- , Kennebunk, ME, USA

Oct 012011

Explorer

I heard it is happening to a lot of Explorers and no recall.

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 202011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Went to pop the hatch...and noticed a crack...near the Ford emblem. Where the heck did that come from? I wasn't there the NIGHT before. Makes noooo sense. My 95 Explorer looks better than this one! Sooo many quirky issues! Looking into buying a CHEVY!!

- , Litchfield, NH, USA

Dec 002010

Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L V6

The cracked panel is causing it to not close easily, have to try

a couple of times.

I e-mailed Ford a while back and they said there was not any complaints

that they knew of........ so I have assumed it was just my car until I found

this site.....

Florence T

- , broken bow, OK, USA

Jun 152007

Explorer V6

Apparently this rear panel crack is quite common. Over 380 complaints on this site plus, just in my neighborhood going to and from work, I came across 4 other vehicles with the same problem. I've called Ford and they won't do anything. I definitely think this is a common enough issue for them to do a recall and fix these things.

- , West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jul 262011

Explorer Sport

Add me to the growing list with this crack , was thinking it might not happen. Then in July panel cracked about 6 inches from bottom or window. A guy at work had same problem so it was just a matter of time . This and hood that the paint came off ,ford would not fix but lots with the same problem. Will be my last ford

- , Wisconsin Rapids, WI., USA

Jul 152010

Explorer LS 4.0L V6

my 2004explorer has cracked panel under back glass. I called customer service to complain but they there was not any thing they could do.

- , Paris, KY, USA

Oct 192011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

seen so many complaints about the rear door cracking and no recall from ford.

- , Sumter, SC, USA

Jun 162011

Explorer XLT V6

I have seen so many explorers with this defect.. cracked panel below rear window. I've called and emailed and Ford has said "Sorry, Can't help." BBB complaint will be my next step... I will start taking pics of all the different explorers I see with the same problem and send it to ford. It is ridiculous that they aren't taking accountability for this obvious defect.

- , E. Boston, MA, USA

Feb 232011

Explorer XLT V6

The plastic under the window in cracked. I see allot of Ford explores with this issue.. I call Ford and the person on the line gives me some Bullshit line that its not a safety issue therefore he doubts they will ever recall it. Hey look around every Ford explorer of these years 02-04 is having this issue.. Hey sure its a safety problem. THe glass window is enclosed in this.. What is it going to take... The window flying out and killing somebody? Its not covered under warranty or expended warranty and its over 1k to fix.. Give me a break Ford!! Step up to the plate and fix for your customers...

Mark .. GA

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Oct 312011

Explorer XLT

I sent my car to Hack's Auto Body shop in Pacifica, California for repairs and the charges for to replace the panel are $600.00.

I expect some reimbursement from FORD.

- , Pacifica, CA, USA

Aug 132011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Pictures show the Explorer butt-crack when it first appeared. It is now extends to the bottom of the panel. On cold days the crack is about 3/32" wide, making me think the problem is thermal stress.

I live in Michigan and know lots of folks who work for Ford. I want to support both our local and national economies buy buying American, but Ford's total brush-off of this problem strains customer loyalty. Come on Ford, with so many complaints you know this is not an isolated problem. Do the right thing by your loyal customers, or they might not be so loyal next time they have to shell out $KKKK for their next vehicle.

- , Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Nov 022011

Explorer XLT

I just purchased the SUV a month ago. Had I known this was an issue, I would have reconsidered the purchase. I don't know what to do. I should not have to pay for the repair out of pocket if Ford knows this is an issue.

- , Washington, District Of Columbia, USA

Jul 132011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

As so many others have mentioned the panel below the rear window is cracked all the way up through the middle. How can Ford honestly not do something to fix the ones that have broken? I have 5 cars in our family, 4 of which are Fords, but this issue along with several others that I have now reported are becoming an issue, and probably one that other manufactures are taking care of properly. time to compare higher quality cars...

- , Bath, PA, USA

Jan 012006

Explorer XLS V6

My Ford Explorer's tailgate cracked near the logo. I have seen scores of Ford Explorers with the same problem. I have called the dealer and they will not fix it because there is not a recall. It is obviously a manufacturing/design problem. It is a shame that a company like Ford treats its customers this way. If this is not fixed I will not buy/recommend Ford again.

- , San Juan, PR, Puerto Rico

Oct 012011

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I spoke to the Service person at Jim Click Ford in Tucson and he said that it also happened to his car. He said there was no recall and it "only" cost $750 so he just got it fixed. He suggested that I call Ford Motor.

I called Ford Motor Customer Service. Very calm and soothing voice told me that there was not recall and there was no customer satisfaction program regarding the issue and that he recommended that I do take it in to a Ford dealership and have it diagnosed. I reminded him that I spoke to a Service Rep who had the same issue. Didn't need to have it "diagnosed". He recommended that I also save all my receipts in case it is recalled. Please. My next contact is Jim Click who owns the dealership.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 102011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I think Ford has a series design flaw that they should fix since it is so wide spread. I have babied the car when closing because of seeing so many vehicles with the problem. Mine finally broke too. It looks terrible and takes away from the value when it is time to trade or sell. Will seriously look at vehicles other than Ford if nothing is done about it.

- , Anderson, SC, Albania

Oct 152010

Explorer

Call this number its Fords Customer Satisfaction hotline. 1-800-392-3673 to skip the garbage and speak to a rep press 1,5,1,2,2.

I spoke with a rep and she said there were no other customer complaints about this. I attempted to direct her to this site but she refused to look. She stated, unless a customer calls in and complains then we have no idea of the issues, we do not look at online sources. Please call in and complain so we may avoid such a costly repair.

I'm so disappointed in Ford...

- , Inez, KY, USA