6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 19 of 38)

Jan 132011

Explorer

Ford knew about problem, never informed public, now I am stuck with repair cost, that just adds to why I am not buying another Ford Explorer, already had rear clutches replaced, Fork knew about this too, and heater fan also replace, what else is Ford not telling us?

- , Hildebran, NC, USA

Feb 012010

Explorer

I notice when I was washing my car and I thought it was something I did wrong then I saw other explores had it too so I notice its a defect. Ford should step up and fix this mess.

- , Santa Ana, CA, USA

Dec 172010

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I think that Ford needs to take care of this, it is a great vehicle and there is definitely a flaw. I would appreciate any help to get it repaired, discounted materials and labor would be nice.

- , Newnan, GA, USA

Jan 172011

Explorer

I came out of Walmart one day and was about to load my groceries when I noticed that the rear panel on the window section that flips up was cracked in two places above the Ford logo and below the logo. In doing research this seems to be a very common problem. I had to pay $369 out of my own pocket to replace this. I called and reported it to Ford and it will be monitored, but I feel they owe it to the public to reimburse us because this is a manufacturing defect. They need to honor the public and maintain a good reputation by owning up to this defect and pay back all money to their customers for this repair.

- , Westminster, MD, USA

Nov 052010

Explorer XLT 4WD 4.0L V6

Have noticed a lot of Ford Explorer's around Spartanburg with this issue. I don't believe the general public realizes the extreme number's of vehicles that has this problem. I do believe if Ford Motor Co. doesn't step up and take responsibility for this problem there should be a class action law suit. My family has alway's been very loyal to Ford over the year's owning five different vehicles. This same Explorer has a heater problem what's up. How about some help Ford. C.Lacey Spartanburg S.C.

- , Spartanburg, SC, USA

Jan 042011

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Very disappointed... will remember this when I go for my next SUV.

- , Norfolk, VA, USA

Jan 112011

Explorer

I was wondering when the back panel was going to break on mine. It did today after owning the car two years. How do we get a class action suit going against Ford for this obvious defect?

- , Vineland, NJ, US

Jun 072008

Explorer Limited V6

Cracked panel by Ford emblem below rear window. How is this not being recognized as a defect? Ford needs to step up and offer to fix with no charge to vehicle owners. Have driven Fords for many years and am seriously thinking this may be my last if this is not handled properly.

- , Seminole, FL, USA

Jan 302010

Explorer

I have noticed a number of cracked rear panel on late model Ford Explorer- Ford has refused to fix or address the problem. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER VEHICLE-NOR WILL I RECOMMEND ANY FORD PRODUCTS TO ANY OF MY FAMILY OR ASSOCIATES.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Dec 262010

Explorer

I think it stinks that Ford knows this is a BIG problem with it's cars yet they are not offering a recall to fix the problem! I now can't wash my car because the rear hatch door will fill with water.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Dec 112010

Explorer Limited V8

Adding my complaint to the several already here. Came out of store today and was approaching back of vehicle and seen the crack from a few feet away. Thought I had the wrong car at first. Ford needs to make this right.

Update from Jan 22, 2011: Just wanted to let people know that there is a lawsuit filled, all I can say is it is about time. I went to search for a fix about a month ago and found all the complaints on several sights all the pictures the same as mine. My whole family has owned nothing but Fords for over 30 years. No loyalty from Ford, not Ford tough. A couple of days after showing my father, (who resides in another state) my tailgate, he called me telling me he had left the bowling alley with a friend, and he had seen an Explorer on the road, tailgate area cracked like mine. My husband has now been seeing a few Explorers on the road with the tailgate cracked in the same area. When I spoke to the auto body guy from the Ford dealer, he told he was surprised they had not been recalled. He also told me that’s how you could tell what year they where. He said not only has he repaired several he said he also seen them when he was driving around. I haven’t fixed it yet don’t really want to spend the money, neither does Ford they where only there to take my money when I purchased it.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 042010

Explorer Eddie Bauer

This vehicle(2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer) I inherited recently however the previous one owner was a 70yr old woman who barely drove anywhere (33,400miles right now)....and we had prior to her death in October tried to find out about FORD fixing this but at that time nothing had been done as far as a recall and I've followed up several times on this in the past few months and still nothing to my knowledge as to any recall. This is definitely a FORD problem so they need to fix this!!!!

- , Lancaster, SC, US

Dec 162010

Explorer NBX 4.0L V6

I have two large cracks on the left side of the emblem. The hatch was rarely used.

The high mileage is due to highway miles to and from work. I too can't understand why Ford isn't forced to research EVERY complaint that is identical when presented to them in HUGE numbers. There are hundreds of people who have the EXACT problem so how are they allowed to ignore the complaints or lie and say they are not aware that it is a problem among many owners? Who oversees Ford's obligation to make things right?

- , North Las Vegas, NV, US

Sep 182007

Explorer 4.0L

I've bought Fords for years and I've been happy until now. I've personally noticed this problem (Explorer Butt Crack) on most Explorers and I've seen HUNDREDS of complaints online. Ford Motor Company- WHAT THE @#%$!!!! Can't you see that you are chasing away loyal customers? Do the right thing! Fix this defect at your cost, not ours.

- , Ware, MA, USA

Jul 072010

Explorer

THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM WITH FORD EXPLORERS. I WAS GETTING IN MY TRUCK ONE MORNING AND NOTICE THE CRACK. I STARTED TO LOOK AT OTHER FORD EXPLORERS ON THE ROAD AND NOTICED THAT THEY HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS. IT MAKES ME WONDER IF FORD VEHICLES ARE SAFE TO DRIVE.

- , Norfolk, VA, USA

Dec 112010

Explorer

The panel cracking is clearly a defect in the product and Ford should repair. The unfortunate part for Ford is that is it a very visible defect in the quality of their workmanship. Had a similar issue on my wife's Toyota and they fixed it at no charge.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 092010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

Just happened before Christmas on my 04' Eddie Bauer Explorer. We had a really cold night ( for Tennessee) and the next morning there was a crack from top to bottom in the rear panel in shape of a V. Keeps getting wider. It's really annoying when the rest of the vehicle is in great cosmetic condition. Makes this spot stick out like a sore thumb.

- , Oldfort, TN, USA

Dec 142010

Explorer V8

My husband and I have 2 Ford Explorers. One is a 2003 and one is a 2004. Our 2003 explorer got the crack in the lift gate about 2 years ago. We ignorantly bought another explorer...this time a different model and a year newer. We have owned it a little over a year and a half. I was so happy that it didn't have or get the crack like the other. Wellllll......tonight while putting my groceries in the back I see it!! THE CRACK!! I am soooo annoyed and even more annoyed to know that Ford won't do anything about it. This is ridiculous. Not only do our Ford's have these cracks, but almost every Ford Explorer I have seen has this same exact crack. Does Ford really think this is going to influence consumers to buy another Ford? I know the next vehicle we purchase WILL NOT be a Ford Explorer or even a Ford at all.

- , Williamsburg, VA, US

May 012009

Explorer XLT V6 Flex

I had no problem getting them to replace the back gate. As long as I brought it in before 100k hit in mileage.

- , Tulsa, OK, USA

Nov 052010

Explorer 4.0

I think that its ridiculous that all of a sudden that it just happens to cars and no one knows how. My car was fine and then just out of nowhere it has this huge crack and no one wants to do anything about it. I know have paid attention to other explorers and have seen lots of them like that. Just on this website there were almost 400 complaints when i signed up so why is no one doing anything about it. I definitely think this should be recalled or at the very least looked at.

- , Greenville, SC, USA