6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (293 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 21 of 38)

May 122009

Explorer Limited 4.6L

have had several new fords always something needs to be fixed i will not buy another even with my a plan the employes at ford are rude an i im through with fords!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Virginia Beach, VA, US

Sep 092010

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

I owned this car since the beginning and and had transmission replaced at 63 thousand miles. 2004 Ford explorer 40,000 dollars worth of crap. Replaced chrome wheels because of cracks around the lugs at 70,000 miles. Now back panel finally crack since all the forums talked about it. Now I experience their pain. Ford you are piece of crap if you can sell a product and should warranty any defects that comes with the car. Knowing all the complaints on this site and others. You should try at least fix the problem before we as customers complain about it.

- , New York, NY, USA

Jul 102010

Explorer

Ford has really been a no show on this vehicle since I bought it. At 3 mos. the leather seats were cracking and tearing and I fought with them for months. Denied, denied. So I really don't think they care about a crack on the car when it is 6 years old. Service sucks.

- , Elberta, AL, USA

May 212008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I can't believe Ford has not recalled this problem. It seems like every explorer I see has the same problem, especially the green explorers and mountaineers. Its not worth paying to fix, but sure wish I didn't have to see it all the time. And when it comes trade-in time, I will lose it if Ford (if that's what I buy) deducts for it. I know it was caused by some problem with the latch. The door frequently would not close properly. Eventually it just cracked.

- , Carteret, NJ, USA

Aug 112010

Explorer V6

it looks very bad, you have something that you like and you have to put up with sh*t like this

- , Plymouth, PA, US

Oct 162010

Explorer

A CRACK HAS FORMED IN THE REAR LIFT GATE PANEL NEAR THE FORD EMBLEM. FORD NEEDS TO TAKE ACTION AT ONCE. RECALL AND FIX AT THEIR EXPENSE. FORD KNOWS THIS HAS BEEN A ONGOING PROBLEM. THEY NEED TO ADMIT IT AND AND FIX IT AT NO CHARGE TO THE CONSUMER. NEEDLESS TO SAY IF THEY DON'T I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD.

- , Cumming, GA, US

Nov 182009

Explorer XLT V6

SHAME ON YOU FORD! I have owned (3) Explorers and also own (2) FORD pickups. I have truly loved my Explorers but I can't see buying another FORD after being kicked to the curb like this. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. Sure is a different song you sing after the sale isn't it? Your CEO was in Fayetteville the other day (not at the dealer from where I purchased, CROWN) and I sure hate I missed the opportunity to drive up with several others and let him see our lovely tailgates. You think he would be seen driving a piece of junk like I have to? NOT!

I work hard, very hard for my $ and take very good care of my vehicle. The sad thing is that if we do pay out OUR money to pay for YOUR defect it will not last. An employee advised us that he had replaced his Mother's three times and it continues to crack. So, GOT ANY ADVICE?

- , Raeford, NC, Pacific Islands (US)

Jul 012009

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

THIS IS A MANUFACTURE/DESIGN DEFECT AND FORD REFUSES TO FIX THIS OR RECALL THE THOUSANDS OF VEHICLES THAT HAVE THIS PROBLEM...I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AMERICAN CAR...THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT OR SERVICE THEIR CUSTOMERS.

- , Toms River, NJ, US

Mar 162010

Explorer V6

Crack on rear hatch back, running diagonally along the Ford symbol. Purchased the 2004 Ford in 2008 and notice the crack about 6 months ago. Please help with this matter. Thanks, Ms Gainey.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Apr 242007

Explorer XLT V6

I noted the crack and don't know how long it had been there. I called Brandon, FL Ford Dealer said out of warranty and no recall. That's when I started noticing other 2004 Ford Explorer XLT's that were damaged, also. As I see others, I have never seen a silver or white that was damaged. Mine is marrone and I noted lots of the dark colours damaged (absorbing heat rather than reflecting heat?). Either way, it's a defect and Ford should replace.

- , Valrico, FL, USA

Sep 082010

Explorer V6

I am really disappointed with Ford over this problem we have paid a fair amount of money for the quality of our vehicle! Also it is a hazard to our children if broken the glass could shatter and harm our children then Ford will be looking at a lawsuit that cannot replace the damage done to our children!!!!

- , Olive Branch, MS, US

Jul 242010

Explorer XLT

In my opinion, this is a cost that should be covered by Ford Motor Company. The flaw in workmanship or lack of product trial for durability should not be passed to the consumer. I guess I don't know that it is a flaw in workmanship, I think it is more of a design flaw. I don't even use my hatch much, so what does that tell you? They tell me that the back windshield will not be affected by this crack. How can that be? I am hoping and praying that it will not be an issue. I was told that if I have it repaired I can expect the same problem sooner or later! I personally don't have $500-600 to fix this every how ever often it occurs!

Vehicles are not cheap these days and I expect mine to last a while. Ironically, that is why I chose Ford in the first place. This is my second Explorer and I thoroughly enjoyed the first one or would not have made the second purchase. To see the crack and to encounter the attitude from Customer Service just floored me. I regretted trying to buy American and local (Ford plant about 60 miles away that made Explorers). The attitude I encountered was, understand but too bad so sad but you're outta luck if you think Ford is going to cover this.

- , Frankfort, KY, USA

Jul 222009

Explorer 4.0L

This is my wife's car and once her back panel cracked I started noticing most other Explorers around the same year are mostly all showing the exact same crack. This problem should have been resolved long ago by a recall from Ford.

The first Ford we have owned and the last we will own. I will be buying Toyota from now on.

- , College Station, TX, USA

Aug 312010

Explorer XLT V6

Looks like I joined hundreds of others!!! Own a very nice explorer, well maintained, excellent appearance! Had read about problems with crack this summer and felt fortunate we hadn't had that problem. Last week, went to open hatch, and "there it was"!! Crack from window down and around Ford emblem. Certainly makes the car look cheap!! Haven't taken back to dealer to check out options yet, but from reading reports, doesn't look like much will be resolved anyway. If Ford is willing to lose someone than has owned Fords for many years over something like this, I am willing to switch car makers. I'm sure another company will take my money.

- , Ashville, OH, USA

Sep 012010

Explorer XLS 4.0L

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

On top of the cracked rear panel, the shift indicater is broken cant tell what gear its in. its an automatic on the column

- , Danville, VA, US

Jan 202010

Explorer XLT 4.6L

Well this is something that Ford should recall but there is a simple reason as to why it happens, and no matter how well you think you take care of your vehicle, its caused by putting to much pressure when closing the lid. It doesn't need to be cold out for this to happen either. Seeing that its a problem that keeps persisting it should be something Ford should consider recalling.

- , Lethbridge, AB, Canada

Jan 012010

Explorer

Every time I drive down the road, I see multiple Explorers with similar cracked rear panels. I am sure Ford is aware of the defect in their product design and should address it appropriately - replace the defective rear cracked panel at little or no cost to the consumer.

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Mar 012010

Explorer XLT

I noticed this crack and had no clue how it happened. Then i started to notice it on other explorers also. Thats when i realized it was a defect. I have a few problems with mine, And they keep telling you to buy AMERICAN. Come on FORD give us better quality and do better with fixing complaints

- , Akron, OH, USA

Aug 182010

Explorer XLT V6

I was getting groceries out of the car last night, and noticed the crack. At first I thought it was some gasket sealant or something, but on closer examination saw it was a crack. I took it by a Body shop that I recently had other work done at and they told me about it being a factory defect and would cost about $450 to repair. They said to check with the Ford Dealer though. I stopped by the ford dealer and the service manager was at lunch. Waiting for a call back. When I was talking to the salesman about the issue he said he used to work at the Lincoln Mercury dealer and they had the same problem on the Mountaineers. Come on Frod You know this is a defect, lets get it fixed!

- , Reinholds, PA, USA

Jul 142010

Explorer XLT V6

I came home and found the back rear panel of my 2004 Ford Explorer XLT cracked next to the Ford emblem. I never use this back rear panel so there is no possibility that I caused the crack. Within the next 3 weeks I noticed at least 14-15 other Explorers with the same crack in the same location. When I talked with the owners of the other vehicles they too explained no collision or cause for the crack.

- , Loudon, TN, USA