6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (293 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 31 of 38)

Nov 122008

Explorer XLT V6

I went to my local Ford Dealer where I purchased the car new. The Ford dealer said it was not covered under my extended warranty. He also stated that Ford should cover the repair but at this time there was not a recall on this. He admitted it was a design defect from the factory. He said he would be glad to fix it if I paid for it.

- , Huntsville, AL, US

Dec 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I walked out to my car after work one day and the damn panel was cracked in a triangle shape right next to Ford logo. Very disappointing to say the least considering what I paid for the car new with the Eddie Bauer addition to boot. I have been going to take it to a dealer to see if Ford would make good on the repair or see if there was a recall out. I also have a friend in the auto body business I was going to call. I drive 450 miles a week to and from work. Since my panel cracked it seems like everyone eles I see driving is also cracked. What a bunch of crap and they want a bail out!

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jan 112006

These things are all defective I used to see 2 or 3 a day

- , Manassas, VA, US

Aug 312007

Explorer Sports 3.2L V6

cracked panel below the rear window

I took my Explorer to the Ford Dealer that I purchased it from and they said that it was not a defect . . . even though they had had a number of people that had brought their explorer back with the same problem. They said it would cost me approximately $400. to have it fixed. I have not decided if I am going to have it fixed, yet, or not. I have seen many of the Explorers around here, that have the same problem . . . this is definitely a defect.

- , Spartanburg, SC, Afghanistan

Dec 302008

Explorer Eddie Baur V6

One week and three days later it happen again. I spent $ 32000 for this SUV and I can't get the truth on a $350 fix.

There is something wrong with this. and it's not over!!

- , vanceboro, nc, USA

Jan 292009

Explorer Eddie Baur V6

In the complaint area of a site that I found there 127 of them/call cust. service @1-800-392-3673. I did this and the several people I talk to lied, and said they never heard this before,I got upset but I didn't curse,This is my 10th ford,but it might be my last,if I don't get some kind of response.i'm going to get rid of the three I have.

- , vanceboro, nc, USA

Jan 242009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Add me to the list of exploding liftgate appliques. My dealership quoted a price of $623 ($361 parts, $194 labor, and $68 paint). Unbelievable that Ford isn't issuing a recall. Has anyone heard talk of a class action on this? With thousands of us out there, it seems like a slam dunk.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 152009

Explorer LX V6

I PURCHASED THIS VEHICLE WITH THE IDEA IT WAS ONE OF THE BETTER OF THE FORD PRODUCTS. THE REAR WINDOW PANEL CRACKED FOR NO REASON.

WHEN I CALLED THE FORD DEALERSHIP MCCOTTER FORD IN TITUSVILLE THEY SAID OH NO...THAT DIDN'T JUST HAPPEN THEY ARE CRACK RESISTANT. BUT YET THEY SALE THE PANELS AND MY PANEL CRACKED WHILE SITTING IN MY DRIVE WAY! THEY WANTED 100.00 FOR THE PANEL AND 350.00 TO PAINT IT AND INSTALL. I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO DISAPPOINTMENT IN A VEHICLE IN MY LIFE. I BELIEVE THERE SHOULD BE A RECALL ON THIS IMMEDIATELY!

- , Titusville, FL, USA

Jan 262009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Same problem here... Its funny how you never seem notice things until it happens to you now every Explorer I look at and it has the same problem. I really hope Ford recalls this.

- , Pontotoc, MS, USA

Jan 092009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Anyone who has this problem should file a complaint with the NHTSA (www.nhtsa.gov) they have only received 3 complaints about the cracked applique on 2004 Explorers. Ford will do nothing unless more complaints are filed, 2002-present.

- , Brooklyn, NY, US

Nov 112008

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

Same problem as everyone else here! Walked out one day and there was the crack. I also thought it could be the cold weather, but I do keep my car in the garage when not driving it. I also had to replace my transmission at 75,000 miles. I owned a 93 Ford explorer before this one and kept it for 13 years never had any problems, but this 2004 one is one thing after another. My next car will not be a Ford unfortunately. I think Ford needs to stand up and take care of this issue.

- , Battlefield, MO, USA

Nov 222008

Explorer

Adding to everyone's complaints. I noticed the crack one day out of the blue. I thought maybe something from the road flew up and hit the back or maybe someone tried to break in my vehicle. I noted another Explorer driving next to the other day and noticed the same crack in the same spot. You would think with the amount of complaints for the same problem that Ford would issue a recall. I am thinking since it doesn't seem to be a safety issue...they could care less.

- , Bowling Green, KY, US

Jan 012009

Explorer XLT V8

I have noticed a crack down the whole of the panel below my rear window. Ford have told me there is no recall! what is going on? I was driving through town yesterday and was behind a 2004 ford explorer that had the same exact crack. I found this site today and found there are many others with the same issue. These trucks are not cheap to buy, what can we do about this?

- , Dover, DE, USA

Jan 212009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Once again, another satisfied Ford Customer, lol. About two weeks ago I was reading AutoBeef and the problems with the Explorer rear Applique cracking and low and behold it happened to mine this past week. The dealership stated there was a recall for this about a year ago and that I would have to pay for it myself. They gave me a quote of $443.91. I think that's ridiculous and can't wait to get rid of and never purchase another Ford vehicle. I will wait about a month or so to see if Ford steps up, if not, here I come Toyota.

- , Horizon City, TX, USA

Dec 282008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I am another of the unhappy Explorer owners who went to get something out of the back of the vehicle and noticed the crack below the window. I called a Ford dealer and was told that it would cost $600.00 to fix. My son has a 2002 Explorer with the exact same crack and after finding this web site I see we are not alone. My husband and I have owned many Ford vehicles but this will be the last as Ford doesn't want to take responsibility for an obvious flaw in the plastic piece that is below the window.

- , Mineral, VA, USA

Jan 182009

Explorer XL V6

I cannot believe this!!!! Right when warranty ends of course this factory defect appears and Ford tells me it is not covered! Telling me that I live in Hawaii and it is because of the weather BS I read this forum from people all over the US Hello ford wake up and serve us Americans like we serve you...........................

- , Kapa, HI, USA

Jan 152009

cracked panel below the rear window

Why would Ford even sale an Explorer that they know has a DEFECT and apparently this has been going on for sometime. I was driving to work one day last week and it was COLD.....the car had been in the garage...I was about 5 miles away from my house and BOOM....it sounded like a bomb went off. Come to find out...my back rear panel just SPLIT in half and FORD won't fix it. I can't turn it into my insurance company...not an accident. So....I did write the Better Business Bureau concerning this problem. I hope this helps to get my car and all of your cars fixed. FORD SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS AND MAKE THIS RIGHT FOR ALL OF US.

- , Germantown, OH, USA

Sep 012008

Explorer XLT

I HEARD ABOUT A RECALL THAT WAS FOR FORD EXPLORER AND THEY HAD IT FOR 2002-2003 FORDS AND I WANTED TO KNOW WHY THERE ISNT A RECALL FOR FORD EXPLORER XLT !!

- , Whittier, CA, USA

Jan 052009

Explorer XLS V6

Add me to the list. Was just quoted $380.00 to fix. Known problem and no abuse involved. Ford needs to step up.

- , Shady Cove, OR, USA

Oct 012008

Explorer XLT

to whom this may concern has been having some technical difficulties so if your workers can fix the back rear panel of my car because i heard of a recall that my friend to me on fords year 2002-2003 and i was wondering why there wasn't a recall on ford models year 2004 because my back panel was damaged . and if you guys can fix it i would greatly appreciate it !thank you

- , Whittier, CA, USA