6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (293 reports)
  3. replace panel (113 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 33 of 38)

Nov 302008

Explorer XLT V6

Correction on mileage when I posted the first time about the rear panel under the hatch window cracked.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Nov 302008

Shocked,

I was loading my vehicle last night to head back to Baton Rouge. This morning while outside I couldn't believe what I was looking a "Crack". How does something like this just appear after having this vehicle this long? As my luck has it I just relocated to Baton Rouge and will not be able to take it to back to the dealer from where I bought the Explorer. I thought should I just super glue the stupid crack to prevent it from going even further! I will be at Ford (asap) once I get back to Baton Rouge. Is there any point in trying to file a comp claim with my insurance or will have just to suck up the cost to repair such a defect. This is my 3rd Explorer and this is the first time this has happened. Maybe it is time to switch to a different make of car!

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Oct 302008

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I think this stinks, I called Ford Motor Company in Detroit and they advised me if same was not under warranty, I would have to get same fixed on my own. I recently went to my parents house near Charlotte, NC and saw several explorers with the same problem, maybe if enough people come forward and complain, maybe Ford will be a true AMERICAN car company and fix this problem

- , Bear Creek, NC, USA

Nov 292008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Just noticed mine cracked a couple of days ago.I'll say something to the dealership where I bought it,but I know they will not fix it because I have 76,000 miles and they will tell me it is out of warranty.

- , Pleasant View, TN, USA

Nov 172008

Explorer Limited V8

Add me to the list.. This is the second time the hatch has cracked. I bought the car in Nov 2003 and it cracked the first time 2-1/2 years later in March 2006 at 17,000 miles. It was covered under warranty, but the service manager told me that he had seen the same problem many times - that it was a "defect." I wish I could have gotten it in writing. It never occurred to me it would happen again because I assumed that since they fixed the "defect" the problem was solved. Guess they just added in another defective part. It happened for the 2nd time - 2-1/2 years later at 31,000 miles. My story sounds the same as others. It wasn't there when I left for the grocery store, but when I went to put my groceries in, I noticed it. I called the service manager who knows me well - this is a small town and the second Ford I've purchased from them - and he told me I would have to call Ford Customer Service to see if I could get them to help me... I'm not optimistic.

- , Kailua, HI, USA

Oct 152008

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

cracked panel below the rear window

Bought the 04 Explorer used 7/14/08 with 82,899 miles showing on the odometer. I had previously looked at other used Explores (some had a crack in the tail gate trim) but mine did not when I bought it. Two to three months later the annoying crack appeared

(note the exact date and mileage previously listed are only estimates). When I took the vehicle in for its 3,000 mile oil change I mentioned the crack to a dealer representative. I was told it was a common problem that Ford would not acknowledge or repair at their cost. I then emailed Ford concerning the crack and a reply came back suggesting I take it to the dealer. Talk about buck passing. Ford apparently has no shame and issues like this turn potential future customers to look elsewhere

- , Lakeside, MI, USA

Nov 212008

Explorer

I have owned Fords for over 20 years and have been very pleased, however, to have a problem like this that is so widespread is unacceptable to me. It is obviously a manufacturers defect and Ford should replace these panels.

- , Sylva, NC, USA

Nov 162008

Explorer V6

I can't believe I found this many people with the exact same problem! I got home from the grocery store yesterday to unload and there it was staring at me. A giant crack in the hatch from just under the rear window all the way down to where the hatch opens. The guy at the dealership told me that "anything can happen to a vehicle with that many miles on it." I say BS!!! You don't see other vehicles, regardless of the mileage, driving down the road and have a spontaneous crack in the body work!!! The crack wasn't there when I was loading my groceries, and it's only a 10 - 15 minute drive home from the store. Ford needs to pay for this. And my next SUV will be a Toyota. No more Fords at my house.

- , Choctaw, OK, USA

Oct 282008

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

We noticed a crack starting right after the weather turned cold. Within a few days the whole panel had cracked from top to bottom. The dealership where I bought it says it's not covered under warranty and that it will cost $387 to fix. It's obviously a know issue as the service guy told me they are using "better materials" to fix it. It's BS if you ask me so I will be checking Ford's TSB and seeing if I can apply a little pressure to have it fixed for free. This is a factory defect.

- , Pilot, VA, USA

Nov 122008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

I've had some recent vandalism in my neighborhood and thought for sure someone just vandalized my vehicle, but after reading complaints from other Ford owners I realized this is an ongoing problem. I purchased a 2004 Explorer (EB) and opted for an extended warranty. I plan to call the dealership on Friday, but who wants to bet this is not covered under the extended warranty...

P.S. My ABS light kept coming on and if I remember correctly, that was covered under the extended warranty, so they replaced the switch for the deductible fee.

- , Waldorf, MD, USA

Oct 222008

Explorer Eddie Bauer

I WAS VERY NERVOUS ABOUT PURCHASING A TRUCK PART ONLINE. 'MAYBE BECAUSE I'M OLD SCHOOL' BUT I STRUCK GOLD THE PEOPLE AT OEMDIRECTSOLUTIONS.COM WERE TERRIFIC AND THE PAINT ON THE PANEL WAS PERFECT NO DRIPS PERFECT

SKIP

SOUTH JERSEY

- , Turnersville, NJ, USA

Nov 032008

Explorer XLT V6

Noticed it after a trip to the supermarket. Its grown from about an inch to the full depth of the panel. On hot days you don't notice it, on cold days it looks like a gaping hole!

- , Seabrook, TX, USA

Nov 012008

cracked panel below the rear window

It looks like I'm not alone with this stupid Ford defect (see pic). How many complaints does it take to get Ford to step up (like a real auto maker should) to fix it?! Because that's what they should do, FIX IT! AM I RIGHT, PEOPLE? FIX! IT!

I guess if the gate was falling off the back and killing people behind you it would be a big deal, but it's just a crack. Nothing to see here, just move along.

Note to FORD MOTOR COMPANY: This is the LAST vehicle I buy from you! Unless, of course, you FIX IT!

- , Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Nov 082007

Explorer XLT V6

I like this vehicle, but the crack in the back really distracts from the looks. I have noticed several others while driving with the same problem. I can't believe Ford would let a problem like this go, with all the bad pub they had on the tires blowing. When you pay as much as these vehicles cost, the body shouldn't crack.

- , Tuttle, OK, USA

Oct 012008

Explorer LX V6

Unbelievable! I'm only sorry I didn't find this web site before I bought my Explorer. The cracked panel is the least of my car's problems, all of which have surfaced within the last 6 weeks. Last week, it was my brakes and rotors: replaced for $900. This week, it's my transmission...and most of you already know about that little bonus feature.

- , Charlottesville, VA, US

Sep 202008

Explorer XLT V6

this is bull i just bought this car and it cracked for absolutely no reason at all. ive never seen anything like it before. they better fix it for me.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Oct 292008

Explorer

This is for all of the men who think that their wives cracked the body of the car below the rear window...not true! This is a problem that we were told by previous Ford 2004 Explorer owners....they were shocked to hear that it had not happened to our car yet...well..it finally did...I awoke just last week to an early morning frost that covered the car...after the car had warmed up I continued down the road to do my weekly grocery shopping only to find when I approached my vehicle to put my groceries in...the crack was there! I am so upset about this.....last American car we will ever purchase....should have known better..we love our Toyota Camry:)

It's great to have access to websites like this..but at the same time up setting to see that this is a problem that Ford needs to be responsible for...how do we get Ford to fix this problem....we were in the process of trading the car in for a newer model...not a chance!!!!

- , Street, MD, USA

Dec 202007

Explorer V8

Ford will not fix and now every where I go I see the same model with a crack. My brother has an explorer same model year and his did it about 3 months after mine. I also have a neighbor who has the same problem. If you look around you will see the cracks everywhere on 2004 Explorers. A family friend worked on the Ford assembly line in STL MO and he said it was a problem on the line and Ford knew about it then but did nothing to fix it. Last Ford for me. Be accountable for your product failures!!!!!

- , Wentzville, MO, USA

May 182008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Purchased new Eddie Bauer 3/2005, 2 months after 36 month warranty noticed crack. I have extended warrant. Ford Advised not covered and would not cover. Geweke Ford , Yuba City California Body Shop advised the cost is $594.00. I am waiting for the Government to act.

- , Modesto, CA, USA

Aug 042008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I can't imagine with so many complaints why this is not a recall. I thought it was a scratch, but it got bigger and bigger. It now runs from the window to the edge of the panel that opens up. I worry about water/moisture getting inside and causing rust, but I do not want to pay the huge amount of money to replace it.

Even if I did, would it happen again?????

- , Apex, NC, USA