6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 7 of 38)

Feb 102014

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Very upsetting that Ford will not accept responsibility for this defect and pay for replacement.

- , Stevensville, MD, USA

Oct 102012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Ford should recall vehicles with this problem and fix it. I see a lot of Explorers with cracked rear panels, this should never have happened.

- , Dearborn, MI, USA

Jan 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I bought this news in 2005. Noticed this first in 2008. I complained to Ford, and they fixed it - just patched it up. I think I paid 100 bucks split the cost. Two years later, it came back, even worse. The crack is wider, and it is loose and I feel the window shifting. When it closes, it looks like it is not closed. The interior car light would not go off when it closed so I disabled it. There is a definite gap in the upper window hatch. I will never buy another Ford again. I don't think they can successfully fix the problem.

- , Camargo, IL, USA

Feb 022010

Explorer

Looks like crap . I siliconed the crack as good as i could.

- , Neenah, WI, USA

Jan 052011

Explorer XLT 3.2L

Took car to dealer was told that i must of slam the door to hard which is a bunch of bull. i have spoken to a lot of drivers with the same problem at the store, gas station, and a few other places. when i see the car when i am driving i always look to see if it is cracked and most of the time it is either the left or right side of the ford emblem. has to be a defect for that many cars to have the same problem. there is a problem that ford doesn't want to address because of the time and money it would cost to repair. NOT MY PROBLEM. WILL NOT BUY ANY MORE FORD AUTOS.

- , Hayward, CA, USA

Nov 142013

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer -- Two weeks ago I suddenly noticed a crack in the rear panel--there was no impact and numerous comments on the internet have indicated that Ford knew about this problem since 2002. I feel that Ford should repair the problem at their expense

- , Bear, DE, USA

Dec 122009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

Actually noticed this is a pretty common problem on Fords seeing every time I see a Ford Explorer driving down the road I notice they have almost the same crack.

- , Lady Lake, FL, USA

Jan 012012

Explorer XLT V6

I got cracks on the bar right below my rear window. It looks horrible.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 012009

Explorer Eddie Baur 4.6L V8

Add me to the list of Ford owners who have this same problem. Was just going to live with it until an ex-Ford Service Writer told me of possible wiper blade motor / assembly problems with water collecting inside, especially if it freezes which happens a lot here in Denver.

- , Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Jan 202014

Explorer XLS V6 4L

So sickened to discover the crack today on my 2004 Explorer, after reading this site it sounds like there have been many. I feel that Ford knows of this problem and it should be repaired, that is a very sorry part to put on what was a nice looking car. Mine is always garage kept and only has 8600 miles on it. It was my pride and joy and still looked brand new, now I have an ugly crack on the back and understand that it will continue to crack more.

We can only hope that Ford will be made to do what is right. All of our cars are Ford, but that will not be the brand of choice in the future.

- , Lawton, OK, USA

May 162008

Explorer V6

Crack in the middle of the panel that goes around the Ford Logo.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Oct 012013

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

It developed the crack in early fall as soon as we got a little colder weather. I think this is a defect that Ford should cover.

- , Madison, WI, USA

Nov 032012

Explorer XLT V6

this is the 3rd ford explorer that i have had this problem with, i think ford should replace.

may not buy another because of this

- , Dennison, OH, USA

Dec 172011

Explorer

Bought the car in October 2010 used with 94,000 miles and 1 year later the rear panel cracks out of the blue. I drive all highway miles to work daily, but my once "like new" car now appears marred and it seems Ford is doing very little to help with the issue. I mentioned I drive highway miles and since the rear panel cracked, I have began to notice almost every Ford Explorer I see on the highway, also has cracked rear panels as well. This is complete BS that Ford is not stepping up to the plate and replacing this obviously defective part.

- , Greenfield, IN, USA

Mar 162012

Explorer SU 4.0L V6

I went shopping and when I left my car there was no crack, when I came back to my car about an hour later, the back part of the lift gate was cracked from the top down to the FORD emblem, around the edge of it and then to the bottom of the panel.

When I got home, my husband called Ford asking about it and was told that they were aware of the problem and they had replaced them free for a couple of years but then discontinued because of the cost to repair them. He then told him it would cost between $300 - $500 to replace it. The last time he asked about it they told him they would replace it for $300 including painting it. Forget it! too expensive and not worth it. As long as it doesn't rain inside the car, I won't worry about it.

- , Loganville, GA, USA

Sep 152013

Explorer XLT 4/4 4.6L V8

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window cracked panel below the rear window

I believe this problem should have been a recall by Ford, and Ford should have Ford away to solve this problem with the back panel.

- , Maywood, IL, USA

Sep 202013

Explorer XLT V6

Happens to all of them. should have been a recall.

- , Miamisburg, OH, USA

Oct 312012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

I like having my vehicles look like new. With this problem, I think it looks awful and make it look bad for me and the manufacturer. Since I have been reading online and seeing other vehicles like mine on the road with the same issue. I wish Ford would recall this issue.

- , Hagerstown, MD, USA

Apr 012012

Explorer

Add me to the cracked panel club

Came out of nowhere- just noticed it yesterday

- , Danvers, MA, USA

Jan 152011

Explorer XL V6

I'd like ford to recall since it is a model wide problem.

- , Morehead City, NC, USA