6.4

1. waiting for Ford to recall (294 reports)
  3. replace panel (115 reports)
  4. possible class action lawsuit (62 reports)
  5. call Ford motor company 1-800-241-3673 (27 reports)
  6. do not buy Ford again (25 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 9 of 38)

Dec 052012

Explorer Limited V6

I think ford should fix the problem, there are many ford explorers with same problem.

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Dec 212012

Explorer NBX V6

THIS IS AN NBX THE OFFROAD VERSION,(NEVER OFF ROAD,NOT ONCE).WHAT GRIPES ME IS FORD AND ITS SALESMEN KNEW IT .WHEN I BOUGHT IT NEW OFF THE LOT. THE DEALERSHIP SHOULD BE LIABLE AS WELL AS FORD. SINCE THIS HAPPENED TO ME I'VE SEE 9 OTHERS AND COUNTING IN THE LAST 2 MONTHS. IF FORD WONT STAND BEHIND THIS THEY SHOULD BE BOUGHT BY TOYOTA. .CLOSE IT UP,.PRETTY BAD WHEN YOU HAVE TO BUY A KIA OR TOYOTA TO GET QUALITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE OF US SHOULD EMAIL EVERYONE IN YOUR INDEX TELL THEM NOT TO BUY FORD !!! DCX

- , Clackamas, OR, US

Jan 122013

Explorer V8

Cracked panel occurred during cold weather. Crack goes down right side from window to bottom.

- , Miamisburg, OH, USA

Jan 022013

Explorer

Vehicle was parked under the carport in my driveway for 2 or 3 days and the crack appeared.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Explorer XLT

Never buy a ford!! They are junk, need to buy a new car and will not look at ANY FORDS.

- , Delmont, PA, USA

Sep 152010

Explorer

I checked with my dealer, and since the car is out of warranty, he said I would have to replace the entire window at a cos t of $1200! I have had a few Ford products, this is the only one with multiple problems,which I feel are design-related.The dealer's solution sounds funky to me...there must be a less expensive solution...like Ford paying for repairs.

- , Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Dec 042006

Explorer XLS 4DR 4.0L

Every explorer you will ever see with either have this Panel with the Crack or it's been repaired by buying the panel for at least $245.00 Painting to Match 125 Labor to remove and reaffix 200.00 and put the nice Ford Blue Oval back on the Panel. Have fun because POS Ford will never fix this under or out of Warranty. Life's a Beach

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 272012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Rear panel cracked right through ford logo, doesn't look too bad but definitely annoying.

- , Hammond, IN, USA

Dec 252012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Bought this car 3 weeks ago..105,000 miles. Have only had the tailgate open 3 times, today being the third. Today while the gate was lifted and no one was touching it, the tailgate cracked downward right next to the Ford emblem. Upset that, to me, this car is only 3 weeks old..I wanted to have it fixed. So after reading up on this problem on the internet, I realized it wasn't just me. This is quite a common problem and nearly a $500 fix. How ridiculous. Ford needs to recall this. If there is no resolve, I will not buy another Ford.

- , Edgewood, MD, USA

Jan 012009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Broke while sitting in the garage. Not worth fixing but should be a recall.

- , Venice, FL, USA

May 072012

Explorer LX V8

I first thought someone hit it with something...but found out from friends and after hearing I myself saw several Ford Explorers with the same crack by more then over a dozen or more. This brought it to my attention......... and made it known to me that this was definitely a manufacturers defect. I feel that Ford should make this a recall and replace it for their customers who bought in the trust of the Ford name.

- , Santee, CA, USA

May 282008

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

cracked plastic on rear tailgate 2004 ford explorer quoted $500. to repair with no guaratee it won't break again.If not resolved will not by another Ford.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 232012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

I just purchased this 2004 Explorer and tried to convince dealer to fix the rear panel crack, but was told that it would just crack again, so they wouldn't fix it. What moron engineer at Ford sealed this panel to the rear glass, thus insuring it would crack as the window flexed? Unfortunately, that's a rhetorical question.

- , Katy, TX, US

Feb 012009

Explorer

We came outside one cold morning to find the back panel on our Ford Explorer cracked. As the day progressed and warmed up a bit, the crack became less visible. At nightfall, when the temperature dropped, it was once again HUGE! My husband called the local dealership, who confirmed that many othe had been complaining about the same problem, BUT that Ford was not covering the repairs and it could cost us up to $500. We contacted Ford and never received a response. As the years have passed, I've noticed MORE and MORE...about 85-90%...Ford Explorers driving around town with the SAME EXACT PROBLEM! This is ridiculous. Ford still refuses to cover the repairs and I plan to file a complaint with the BBB. It it NOT a coincidence that most of the Ford Explorers of this make/model have the same issue and that since then, Ford has changed the rear door to exclude this panel.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 212012

Explorer XL V6

I've read many complaints about this problem. Ford needs to recall these panels.

- , Chino, CA, USA

Oct 082012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L

I traded in a 2000 Explorer XLT that had approx. 120,000 miles with a bad transmission in June of 2012, for a newer 2004 Eddie Bauer Edition with approx. 121,000 miles on it. Three weeks later with 122,000 miles on it, the transmission went out on IT. It was covered under warranty because I bought it from a Ford Dealer. Yesterday 10/12/2012, there was the "tailgate crack", that I just found out is a common problem. I will be contacting the dealer, ford motor credit and the Missouri State Attorney's General's office to see if anything can be done to find fault with Ford's denial of any manufacturing defect.

- , Ofallon, MO, USA

Sep 012012

Explorer XLT V6

click to see larger images

cracked panel below the rear window

Ours happened at 121,000 to our car,our neighbor down the street same year happened 5 years ago and right now she only has 35,000. There car is outside all the time, ours was always in a garage, that is until a few weeks ago when we had to put the car out for the evening. Next morning we woke up to the crack. When it's hot outside the crack is barely visible. When it's cold, it is huge.

- , Redmond, WA, USA

Dec 232011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

I had an estimate done to fix it. the dealer said the problem is only cosmetic, and it will not cause rusting or water damage from rain. A replacement would come from a junk yard and cost roughly $350 with labor

- , Perrysburg, OH, USA

Feb 092012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

I have noticed many Explorers with this same problem, crack left of the Ford emblem below the glass panel on the hatch and then it happened to me this past winter! When the temp. is very HOT the crack is hardly noticable then it returns with normal temperatures. I haven't heard any recalls from Ford regarding this issue? HELP!!! I would like to have this replaced without cost to me!!!

- , Independence, OH, US

Nov 122010

Explorer 4.6L V8

I see it on most all 2004 Explorers some have fallen off.

- , Lapeer, MI, US