- February 11: Ford Wins $3 Million Ford Ranger Lawsuit on Appeal news | 9 days ago
- February 1: Ford Sudden Deceleration Lawsuit Aims At Throttle Body System news | 19 days ago
- January 26: Ford Recalls F-150, Focus and C-MAX recalls | 25 days ago
- January 13: Ford Recalls 816,000 Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 38 days ago
- January 1: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Denied Class-Action Certification news | 50 days ago
Paint On Hood Bubbling Up And Peeling
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 106,176 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 7 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (5 reports)
- installed bug deflector to hide the problem (1 reports)
- repair hood (1 reports)
body / paint problem