Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Nov 092010

Crack suddenly appeared in the rear panel below the window, from the glass to the bottom of the hatch.

- Weymouth, MA, USA

Nov 062010

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the rear lift gate panel was fractured below the glass. The vehicle was never involved in a crash. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for repairs nor was the manufacturer notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Spring Valley, NY, USA

May 012005

Explorer 6-cyl

Ford 2004 Explorer paint bubbling at front of aluminum hood. Clearly a defect. Took to dealer where the body shop manager said he repainted 70 so far this year but Ford will not take care of it. Asked to meet with the district supervisor. Set up a meeting when he would be in town. He would not even come out to talk to me and sent someone else out to tell me Ford will not fix it because in my warranty it reads, "rust must permanent from the inside out". I argued that it is an aluminum hood and will never rust! I then wrote Ford Motor Company and have never heard back from them. I keep checking for recalls and have seen nothing to date. My wife and I see many of the same vehicles with this same problem all the time. Shame on Ford!! I would like to see something taken care of with this. This is clearly a defect and not something any of us consumers ever did to make this happen.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Oct 202010

Explorer 6-cyl

10/20/2010 - spokane, Washington - rear panel under back glass around Ford logo cracked after a cool morning 32-35 degrees. The crack extends from the window all the way to the bottom of the panel.

- Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Oct 072010

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. On October 7, 2010, the contact noticed that the rear liftgate glass had a crack in the panel. The dealer stated that there were no related recalls. The contact called the manufacturer who stated she might be eligible for reimbursement, if there failure became a recall. The current and failure mileages were approximately 57,000.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Oct 152010

Explorer 6-cyl

2004 Ford Explorer cracked panel below the rear window.

- South St Paul, MN, USA

Sep 202010

A crack has formed in the rear lift gate panel. It occurred overnight while not in use about 2 weeks ago. I didn't think much of it until I began noticing many other Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer of about the same year (2002-2004) with the same defect. I decided to see if there was a recall, but all I could find was a lot of people complaining and no action from Ford. I don't know how many others have filed a complaint with you, but at one website there are at least 290 other owners who have posted a complaint. If your interested, here is the link:

- Lewistown, PA, USA

Sep 132010

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

There is a crack in the rear panel under the windshield of my 2004 Ford Explorer XLT. Aside from being unsightly, I'm afraid that this crack will weaken the panel which is integral to keeping the rear windshield seated properly.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Sep 082010

Panel beneath rear glass cracks on Ford Explorer. Several reports of same occurrence on internet and 3 (including myself) where I work. Almost all same description, "panel breaks near Ford emblem".

- Franklin, KY, USA

Aug 272010

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

Cracked rear panel on 2004 Ford Explorer. Drove it through a car wash and it shattered. It can fly off and hit someone.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Aug 182010

I discovered a crack in the plastic panel below the rear window of my 2004 Ford Explorer last night while unloading groceries. There had been no impact to this area of the vehicle so I had no idea where it came from. I checked with a local body shop and the estimator told me this is a very common issue with Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer. It was apparently a manufacturing defect and that I should check with Ford. I stopped by the local Ford dealership but the service manager was out to lunch. The salesman I talked to said he saw the problem a number of time when he worked at the Lincoln Mercury dealer. Waiting for the service manager to call me.

- Reinholds, PA, USA

Jun 102010

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I noticed a crack in the panel beneath my rear window in my 2004 Ford Explorer. The crack has continued to get larger since I noticed it a couple months ago.

- Kent, WA, USA

May 012008

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

2004 Ford Explorer transmission clunking and shifting roughly, taking long time to engage cause vehicle to roll back, does not seem to engage for a period of time. Also whines so loud folks in back seat can't hear front seat people talking. Appears each time driven. Was that way when purchased new and dealer fixed it, now once again same issue.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Jan 012008

Defect in hatch area of Ford Explorer causing a crack near the Ford emblem. Happened when vehicle had less than 60K miles. Called Ford dealer who said not covered under warranty.

- Woodbury Heights, NJ, USA

Jul 012009

The panel under the rear hatch window has cracked and keeps getting wider.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 062009

2004 Ford Explorer crack back trunk lift.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 102009

The rear hatch panel on my Ford 2004 Explorer cracked for no apparent reason. When I went to the local dealer he said it is a common defect. When I asked how much it would cost to repair he quoted me $650 I have seen dozens of this model in my daily driving experience in AZ. Why hasn't Ford made a replacement for all of us who have this problem. It irritates me that they say quality is number one but won't own up to a defect that is replete in emails on line?

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

May 092010

Rear hatch cracked on my 2004 Ford Explorer.

- Leland, NC, USA

Apr 052010

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

The hatchback hinge on my 2004 Ford Explorer broke yesterday, luckily I caught it before it hit my 4 year old in the head. The same thing happened on a 2002 Ford Explorer I owned before, but that was recalled and Ford fixed it. This model is not included in the recall, but the part is obviously defective. It could have easily hit someone and hurt them, or fallen off while I was driving and caused an accident.

- Uniontown, PA, USA

Apr 242008

2004 Ford Explorer cracked rear panel.

- Tampa, FL, USA