2004 Ford Explorer body / paint problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Nov 272009

Explorer

Cracked tailgate panel where "Ford" emblem is. Cracked while vehicle was sitting in driveway. Have noticed a lot of other Explorer with same cracks. I believe it's defective materials being used and Ford should take care of the problem.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 172009

Explorer

My 2004 Ford Explorer XLT has a crack in the tailgate/back hatch. It starts under the window seal and continues down to the hatch lever. I'm afraid the glass will become compromised due to the defect in craftmanship. I was on another forum where 387 complaints for the same issue. www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/2002/body_paint/cracked_panel_below_the_rear_window.shtml I don't have the money to pay for poor craftmanship issues. I feel as if Ford should rectify the situation immediately at no cost to it's customers.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Jan 312008

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. When he activated the cruise control while driving, it deactivated itself without warning. He had to restart the vehicle to re-set the error code. The failure occurred intermittently, and mostly on the interstate. Also when he would turn on the turn signals, the automatic warning system would make an alarm noise and blink until the turn signal would cut off. The automatic transmission appeared to lose fluid, when he shifted into reverse. He heard a roaring noise near the tire area. He was told by the dealer that the hubs needed to be replaced. Lastly, the aesthetic piece on the lower half of the hatch-back had cracked and separated from the vehicle. He took the vehicle back to the dealership and was advised that there was an electrical failure. No repairs were made. The manufacturer referred him to NHTSA. The current mileage was approximately 68,000. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000.

- Florence, SC, USA

May 132009

Explorer

Rear panel of the 2004 Ford Explorer is cracked, we are afraid to open and close with the possibility that the window will fall out and possible hurt some one.

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Mar 012009

Explorer

Liftgate glass applique cracked.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Jul 082009

Explorer

I noticed my 2004 Ford Explorer has developed a vertical crack in the plastic tailgate attached to the rear window left of the Ford emblem. I took it to the dealership and they recognized it as a common problem with the 2004 Explorer and also warned me the hinges on the rear glass fail often as was the case on my vehicle. Service tech stated there was no recall as yet and I got to pay for the new hinges and holding off on the crack thinking Ford made do the right thing and repair the fault.

- Paradise Valley, AZ, USA

Jul 282009

Explorer

The panel below my rear window has cracked on my 2004 Ford Explorer. I did not drive it that day, so I know I was not hit, or the door was not slammed.

- West Salem, OH, USA

Jul 022009

Explorer

My 2004 Ford Explorer has a crack in the rear hatch. It appeared out of nowhere. It was not preceded by an accident or anything. Upon talking to a friend whose car has the same problem, I researched this problem on the internet and found that it happens a lot.

- Aston, PA, USA

Mar 102009

Explorer

Paint on roof of vehicle is chipping and body is rusting.

- Apex, NC, USA

Feb 012009

Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer; rear panel below window cracked.

- Davie, FL, USA

Apr 202009

Explorer

A crack appeared on the lift gate top panel just below the wiper. The crack runs vertical from the top of the panel around the Ford emblem to the bottom of the panel. I noticed that others are having this same problem at around 70,000 on the 2004 Ford Explorer eddie bauer edition.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

Jan 192009

Explorer

The panel below the rear window cracked for no apparent reason. I loaded my gym bag into the back and closed the hatch. When I came back 5 min later to wipe the dew off the window I noticed 2 vertical cracks on the panel. The cracks seem to be getting longer and I fear the window may fall out.

- Roseville, Ca 95661, CA, USA

Mar 152009

Explorer

2004 Explorer rear tail gate crack next to Ford emb.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Apr 142009

Explorer

Wife came back from school and told me the problem. We have a 2004 Ford Explorer with a crack on the rear trunk lid below the rear glass where the Ford emblem is, looking through the internet and found out that there are a handful of complaints regarding this panel becoming crack what so ever and still no recall.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Feb 202009

Explorer

Back hatch panel on my 2004 Ford Explorer cracked into two pieces for no reason. Looked online and many other owners are having the same problem and no recall on this part has been issued. I have not replaced the part yet as it is a $400 repair that is obviously due to poor quality of parts used by Ford.

- Summerville, SC, USA

Nov 262008

Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer with the back plastic door been split in half, it looks like this is happening to a lot of Ford Explorer, we have taken the truck to the dealer. The problem is not on a recall and it will be on our own expenses.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Mar 252009

Explorer

I walked around to the back of my Explorer to put groceries in the back trunk area to find the plastic cracked by the Ford emblem. It runs the length of the flip open glass panel that has now broken the integrity of the car leaving it much easier for someone to break in. The car was not involved in any sort of collision, no other marks were seen.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Jan 022009

Explorer

We have a 2004 Ford Explorer that had a spontaneous crack occur on the back lift gate below the glass and through the Ford emblem. We have seen many Explorer on the road with this defect and were told that this is not going to be recalled and would be responsible for fixing. Although we considered; most people that have had this fixed; the crack happens again. This would cost 4-8 hundred dollars to fix and will probably occur again.

- Houston, DE, USA

Oct 312008

Explorer

Walked outside one day and noticed a crack in the plastic panel below my rear window. I have seen many other Explorer with the same problem.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Nov 152008

Explorer

The rear tailgate cracked from the bottom of the rear glass and propagated downward around the Ford emblem and finally to the bottom of the liftgate panel. This has happened on a 2004 Ford Explorer limited, V8 with.

- Morganton, NC, USA