- October 26: Ford Recalls Mustangs and Trucks Over Risk of Fires recalls | 1 days ago
- October 16: MyFord Touch Lawsuit Certified Class-Action in Nine States news | 11 days ago
- October 16: Ford Says Power Steering Lawsuit Shouldn't Be a Class-Action news | 11 days ago
- October 12: Ford Edge and Lincoln Continental Recalled recalls | 15 days ago
- October 4: Feds Investigate Brake Failures in 2015-2016 Ford F-150 Trucks investigations | 23 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer brakes Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- ABS light is on23
- emergency brake failure3
- antilock brakes are slow to engage2
- brakes wear prematurely1
- failed brake line1
- piston stuck1
- warped rotors1
- NHTSA: Service Brakes14
- NHTSA: Service Brakes, Hydraulic14
- NHTSA: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Antilock10
- NHTSA: Parking Brake3
- NHTSA: Electronic Stability Control2
- NHTSA: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Antilock: Abs Warning ...2
- NHTSA: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Foundation Components: ...2
- NHTSA: Service Brakes, Electric1
- NHTSA: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Antilock: Control ...1
- NHTSA: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Fluid1
- NHTSA: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Foundation Components: ...1
- NHTSA: Service Brakes, Hydraulic: Pedals And Linkages1
- NHTSA: Traction Control System1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.