5.9

2. replace ABS control module (2 reports)
  3. replaced sensor (2 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer brakes problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Dec 102011

Explorer XLT 4.0

This is the second or third time the ABS light has been on. We had this problem fixed or so we thought 2 years ago, but now it's on again. Paying another 8 hundred does not sound like a lot of fun.

- , Belchertown, MA, USA

Dec 212011

Explorer XLT V6

I noticed a knocking noise yesterday sounds like coming from right in front of my steering wheel under the hood. Happens when accelerating I think and also when I take my foot off the gas. Seems to die down at higher speeds. This morning my ABS light came on. Just very briefly. Then went off. I love this truck so much and would be heart broken if it starts giving me problems! Any advice on this one??

- , E. Boston, MA, USA

Sep 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

ABS light comes on intermittently. Diagnosed by dealership as a faulty sensor, but this disengages the ABS system, which becomes a safety issue if you ask me.

- , Spring, TX, USA

Jan 132010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

The ABS light would come on in the vehicle and then the ABS would engage every time you hit the brakes and if you have ever had your abs engage you no how well the brakes do not work when they are engaged so this was not only very inconvenient but extremely dangerouse and being that this is my wifes vehicle for her to drive and take my three kids to there events it really pissed me off and then to top it all off the part was covered under my extended warranty but the labor was not so it cost me 350 bucks to fix there screw up of a junk part.

- , Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Aug 022008

Explorer 3.2L V6

Within the first week of driving, the ABS Light came on. I took it back and supposedly they fixed the problem; on one of the invoices I was given, it indicated that Team Ford of Marietta knew there was a problem with the ABS. And, then, again in March of 2011, and now, the ABS light is on again, and I cannot afford to take it back in - not to Ford.It appears that everything went down at the same time, i.e. ABS, water pump, harmonic balance pulley, and transmission!!!!

- , Marietta, GA, USA

May 062011

Explorer

Just spent 2k getting the "exploder" back on the road. The check engine light came on soon after (non-related I think). Unhooked the battery and then re-connected it. Light went off for a day then came back on. 2 days later the light went off and stayed off. A few days after that, my ABS light came on. For some odd reason, I hit the 4x4 button. When I try and shut the 4x4 high off, the light goes off for 2 minutes exactly - then comes back and flashes 8 or 9 times - enough times to really get on your nerves - then shuts off again. WTH?

Love the features of this vehicle..love to drive it...but I also suspect I need a cv joint on the drivers side because I feel the thump when I turn sharp to the left. Seriously? After just putting a shitload of money into the suspensions system among other things (had the blendor issue last year - yeehaw)...not impressed!

- , Temple, ME, USA

Aug 052009

Explorer XLT

Some asshole rode my ass and I tapped my brakes to indicate to the idiot that he needed to back off. He then zoomed around me and LOCKED UP his brakes. I, in turn, had to stand on my brakes to stop without hitting the testosterone-loaded idiot with a severe case of unwarranted road rage. Shortly after this incident, the ABS light, as well as the "check engine" light, came on. The ABS light continues to come on and go off randomly, to this day. My "check engine" light has stayed on pretty much since that date, as well. Ford?

- , Dardanelle, AR, USA

Mar 112011

Explorer ES 4.0L V6

rear abs sensor kickin abs on ruined rear rotors and pads p.o.s.

- , Piqua, OH, USA

Aug 312010

Explorer XLS 4.0L

This has actually been done twice - in the years of owning my car. First sensory replacement of ABS light was at 600 miles.

Second - was 51000 miles (give or take a few) This time the light would randomly come on but when I would go to stop my car would feel like they brakes were failing - Extended warranty paid for repairs - I know they replaced the sensor light again but something else was short circuiting from the sensor to the brakes, but I do not have my service records on hand to see exactly what they did.

- , Costa Mesa, CA, USA

May 252010

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

Ok just let me say that I feel sorry for anyone including myself who owns one of these piece of crap autos!! I have had mine not even 4 years yet and it has been in the shop more than I have drove it. I have had the ABS light come on again which when the auto had extended warranty I took it to have it "fixed" in other words patched up until the warranty was expired. Anyway the light is back on again and I called the shop they said yes I can find the ticket where you had it in for service and we fixed it but your parts warranty is out now so it will cost you around 100.00 for us to look at it and diagnose the problem..

I will NEVER buy another Ford. I know now it means Fix Or Repair Daily!! What a piece of sh*t!

- , Washington, NC, USA

Oct 162009

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my ABS...the light just comes on and stays on! Dealer says it's fine..what's up Ford?

- , The Colony, TX, USA

Aug 092009

Explorer LX V6

ABS light comes on & goes away for days or a week then comes on again. There is an audible clicking in the left front wheel when the car is under 10 mph then it goes away at higher speeds. I intend to bring it to the dealer under my extended warranty. It is quite annoying and I am sure my ABS system is inoperable which worries me in the Winter season.I love the vehicle and would definitely buy another but I hope it can be fixed.

- , Huntley, Illinois, USA

Apr 182009

Explorer XLT V6

Why does the ABS light come on? I need to get the vehicle inspected, and I just bought it. Is this an inspection issue, will it not pass? Also the 4X4 high light comes on at the same time??

Thanks for any info ! Diane R

- , WhitneyPoint, NY, USA

Jul 062008

Explorer V6

We don't know why the ABS light is on...Sometimes the 4x4 light comes on at the same time. When we're driving sometimes the ABS light will turn off and I can hear the gripping of the brakes. I read the manual and it says when the brake warning light turns on, then you have to service your brakes. But why in the hell did the ABS light turn on anyway.!!! What does it mean? We took the car to the shop for the same problem. The guy warned us that it's all rusty. We had this car for 2 years...We didn't know the history of the car anyway. The guy at the shopped warned us that, we may have purchased a car that was in the Katrina flood that's why the bottom of the car is all rusty. We don't know and we just want to have a decent car that's all...

- , Wahiawa, Hawaii, USA

Nov 082007

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Everything seem to go out when the warranty expires no matter what vehicle you get even by getting the extended warranty it will not cover a lot of the repair parts or labor.

Or you can't afford the deductible . I have a 2004 ford explorer with only about 20,752 miles. My abs light comes on at times when I apply the brakes once and at times it won't come on for two days.

- , Moore, OK, USA

Nov 152007

Explorer XLT V6

I bought a used 2004 Explorer with 21,000 miles on it in February 2007 and had it approximately 3 months and I would be going down the road and the truck would just shut off. Thankfully, I had taken extended warranty on the truck. Got that problem fixed and just a mere few months later, now the ABS light is staying on. What a pain in the butt to continuously have problem after problem. This is my second Ford Explorer to own and I can say I won't be owning another one after the continual problems with this one. Haven't even had the truck a year yet. And the truck hasn't hit the 35,000 mile mark. I shutter to think what will happen when it comes to 35,001 miles.

- , Mc Kinney, TX, USA