6.0

1. replace shoes, safety issue, noticed when rear pads replaced (2 reports)
  2. should be recalled (1 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer brakes problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Aug 102009

Explorer 4.6L V8

I've had occasion to work on three 2004 Explorers (mine,my brothers and my sisters) and found the e-brake pads on all three seperated from the steel shoes. None of us can remember even using the e-brakes, but the glue bonding the pads still failed. This should be a recall item since installing new shoes involves pulling axles. Haven't felt like doing it yet, so we don't use the e-brake.

- , Atwater, OH, USA

Dec 182010

Explorer LT 4.6L V8

Replaced rear brake pads and rotors and the parking brake pads fell off to the floor.

- , Metamora, IL, USA

Feb 072009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 4.6L V8

To me this is a MAJOR safety concern. I only noticed the problem when I removed the rear rotor for replacement as part of the rear-brake job I performed today. When the rotor was removed on the left side, of the the e-brake shoe linings fell to the floor. When I did the right rear, both shoe linings fell to the floor.

NOTE: When the brake job was performed, there was still friction material on both the front and rear brake pads front and rear, but I did also notice deterioration on the outside of the rear disk surfaces (this is what prompted the brake job to start with, only to find the e-brake problem).

NOTE2: I did noticed that when I went to set the e-brake (parking brake) that it did not grab so I used wheel chocks so the car did not move. Only after removing the rear rotor did the problem become clear! A good pre-check for this condition would be to confirm the correct operation of the e-brake (parking brake). If the e-brake does not work, I would suggest checking for this problem.

If I had lost primary braking, I would not have been able to stop the vehicle with the secondary (emergency system).

VERY SCARY to think about!

If allowed access to this complaint again, I will add pictures I only finished the main brake system today (I did not have parts for the e-brake system).

- , White Lake, MI, USA