- December 2: Ford Recalls 680,000 Fusion, Mondeo and Lincoln MKZ Cars recalls | 5 days ago
- November 28: Ford Panoramic Sunroof Lawsuit Dropped by Plaintiffs news | 9 days ago
- November 25: 2016 Ford Explorer Throttle Body Lawsuit Investigation Opened news | 12 days ago
- November 8: Ford Focus Purge Valve Focus of Lawsuit news | 29 days ago
- November 5: Ford Door Latch Recall Closes Ford Focus Investigation investigations | 32 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer drivetrain Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- rear differential failure28
- whine from rear differential19
- differential shutters when turning10
- driveshaft vibration7
- grinding noise when turning4
- differential bolt drops out from bottom of car3
- front differental leak3
- oil leak in rear end3
- whine from front end3
- clicking noise in the rear compartment2
- leak in all 4 axles1
- pulley chirping1
- vibration when towing trailer1
- wheels seize when backing up1
- NHTSA: Power Train101
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Differential Unit12
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline10
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Transfer Case (4-Wheel Drive)3
- NHTSA: Power Train: Driveline: Driveshaft2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly: Axle Shaft1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Assembly: Banjo Housing1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Axle Hubs1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.