1. rear end replaced/axle differential/gear & pinion (2 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer drivetrain problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 012008

I purchased this car at 33,000 miles. After about the first oil change I noticed it has this unsettling grinding and nasty vibration to the whole vehicle on turns. I have researched it time and again, but it seems like without replacing entire portions of the vehicle then I just have to deal with it. I don't know whether this contributes to other issues with my vehicles, because there are so many, but if anything it sounds awful and people riding in the vehicle with me fear that the car is about to fall apart or the transmission of blowing out. Ford sucks. It's awful, there are so so many issues with this vehicle it's laughable. Issue recalls for these safety issues, my God.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Nov 212011

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L V6

Rear end grinding when you have to make a lot of turns in a short period of time. Sounds like the rear end is slipping and grinding. Almost slips when turning.

- , Clarkesville, GA, USA

Apr 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer V8

Rear End - differential for $2,000 at only 63,000 miles? Was told this is another problem with 2004 Explorers. 6 months later, the transmission went out on this vehicle! This is a sad statement on Ford, they should be recalling these models/years

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Ask a Mechanic Online
We have partnered with JustAnswer so that you can get 1-on-1 help now.
Get an Answer >