2004 Ford Explorer electrical problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 202012

Explorer

On the body the tailgate panel keeps cracking this makes my truck look bad compared to the money I put into it. My engine or transmission acts as if something is wrong it is not shifting gear right. On the electrical tire pressure light keeps coming on and it also keeps leaking water from somewhere. Ford needs to go out of business for selling these pieces of junk. It makes no sense.

- Columbus , GA, USA

Aug 222013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact mentioned that the anti-theft alarm engaged automatically while attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 190,000.

- Wheatley Heights, NY, USA

Jul 292005

• 2,000,000 miles
My car won't shift in to gear any more.

- Lomita, CA, USA

May 222012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact was driving 2 mph in reverse when the back up sensor failed and the contact crashed into another vehicle. The crash caused no injuries and the police were contacted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection of the failure or repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileage was 131,000.

- Brookville , IN, USA

Mar 092012

Explorer

After starting vehicle and moving shift lever from park to reverse - rotating shift handle mount broke off- required towing and $1800 repair cost. Have seen similar instances on consumer complaint boards - Ford fails to recognize as being a safety manufacturing defect.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 232007

Explorer 6-cyl

Cruise control is intermittent, sometimes accelerates unexpectedly especially when pushing the button to turn it off. So far have been able to stop car, but it is a scary situation. Also, rear warning indicator works only occasionally. Could run over or into someone if depending on it.

- Paradise, CA, USA

Sep 202011

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT. The contact stated that the front windshield wipers, interior lights and all four windows failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that her VIN was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 00V072000. (electrical system: Fuses and circuit breakers). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who advised that she could file a claim and offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 132,000.

- Watertown, WI, USA

May 222007

Explorer 6-cyl

Hello, I have a 2004 Ford Explorer truck with a crack on the back of the hatch door. I don't know where this crack came from. I contacted the Ford company about this issue but since my vehicle is no longer under warranty they aren't willing to help. I first notice the crack about a year ago. When I contacted Ford to find out if this was a recall they said no. Recently I have been noticing that a lot of the Ford Explorer trucks I see all have a crack on the same portion of the truck. I spoke to another individual with a Ford Explorer and she doesn't know where the crack on the back of her truck came from either. We think this maybe a recall issue. I just started writing down the license plate numbers of the various Explorer trucks I see with the same or similar crack on the back hatch. Although I only have six tag numbers right now, I know that their are many more trucks with this problem. I seen more trucks but at the time I wasn't documenting the license plate numbers. There was also a recall on the hatch window in 2003 for the Ford Explorer truck. In 2007, I had the same issue as the 2003 recall on my 2004 vehicle but was told I had to pay to get it fixed myself because there wasn't a recall reported for 2004. Although it was a year later. It is obvious that the issue wasn't resolved because I had the same problem. There is also a break light switch problem. This issue has your break lights randomly coming on although the vehicle is turned off. Which drains the battery and causes you to have to get the brake switch fixed and a new battery. Please help me. I had no luck with the Ford Motor Company in resolving these issues.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 142010

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The vehicle was experiencing an intermittent failure in which the headlights, radio and windows stopped functioning while driving at any speed. The failures persisted for a duration of approximately 1-5 minutes. During the failures, the power door locks and instrument panel lighting also did not function. The vehicle was not taken to have the failures diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 97,000 and the current mileage was 98,000.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Dec 172009

Explorer

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer which while driving last year I was told that my hub assembly on my driver's side was bad and that I needed to replace it. I replaced it with a hub assembly from advance auto parts in Jan 2010. I just had to replace this part again in Dec 2010. I lost breaks. I also have a horrible jerking when I am backing up from a tight spot and the wheels are turned sharply. My door ajar light and all interior lights do not go off when the door is opened or the vehicle is cranked unless I turn the interior light switch to the off position and back to the on when the doors open position. I have had the electrical issue reviewed twice in the past. I have had the jerking looked at with no reason given more than once. I had my vehicle inspected on Nov 30th and nothing was mentioned about the terrible condition the hub assembly was in nor the bearings that a mobile mechanic showed me were terribly worn. I am replacing them soon. It seems to me that Ford must know about all of these problems and it should be something that they are willing to help the consumer in fixing since most Ford buyers are diehard Ford owners like myself.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Jun 062010

Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer another bad transmission ! $3000 rebuild over drive light flashing, interior lights stay on, windows don't go down, door open lights on dash are on.. seems to be alot of these complaints I been reading on the internet ! Ford had to have some fault in all these complaints "??"

- Johnstown, NY, USA

May 252010

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being serviced for routine maintenance at an authorized dealer, he was informed that the blend door motor had failed. The blend door motor was replaced at the owners expense. The failure and current mileages were 88,820.

- New Castle, CO, USA

Jan 312008

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. When he activated the cruise control while driving, it deactivated itself without warning. He had to restart the vehicle to re-set the error code. The failure occurred intermittently, and mostly on the interstate. Also when he would turn on the turn signals, the automatic warning system would make an alarm noise and blink until the turn signal would cut off. The automatic transmission appeared to lose fluid, when he shifted into reverse. He heard a roaring noise near the tire area. He was told by the dealer that the hubs needed to be replaced. Lastly, the aesthetic piece on the lower half of the hatch-back had cracked and separated from the vehicle. He took the vehicle back to the dealership and was advised that there was an electrical failure. No repairs were made. The manufacturer referred him to NHTSA. The current mileage was approximately 68,000. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000.

- Florence, SC, USA

Apr 202009

Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer XLS, 41,000 miles on multiple occasions my car has shut off, loosing power for the brakes and steering. It usually happens when decelerating at a stoplight, or even decelerating off the highway onto an exit ramp. It has occurred at least four of five times and I've been very lucky each time to be able to pull over, put my car in neutral, and restart it. The car has no trouble starting back up. I've researched on the internet about this problem and have found that my experience is not unique. This is a very dangerous situation and the 2004 Ford Explorer can be very unsafe if there is some sort of failure. Please help me.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 252008

Explorer 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the vehicle jerks at any speed and then stalls. The vehicle must be parked on the side of the road in order to restart. He took the vehicle to the dealer approximately eight times and they were able to duplicate the failure; however, the diagnostic is not providing a proper dtc on what needs to be repaired and reprogrammed. The computer indicated what parts needed to be replaced, but all repairs was unsuccessful. The contact stated that the failure was a big safety hazard. The failure mileage was 76,000 and current mileage was 81,000. Updated 2/23/09 the consumer stated he lost power on the vehicle. The consumer no longer owns the vehicle. Updated 02/25/09.

- Bumpass, VA, USA

Nov 022008

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. In 2007, the contact stated that the instrumental panel lights constantly flashed and lost power. The dealer replaced a hose, which corrected the failure for approximately ten months. On November 2, 2008, the vehicle lost power and shut off. The contact had to wait several minutes to restart the vehicle. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000 and current mileage was 55,000.

- Santa Rosa , CA, USA

Sep 212007

Explorer

Approximately in September 2007, my lighter went out and I took it to the dealer, carl gregory on box road in columbus, ga. They charged me $35 for a fuse and now it won't work again this year. The fuses are fine but the lighter just isn't working. I need the lighter to charge my phone. Is this still covered under warranty. My vehicle is a 2004 Ford Explorer with only 73600 miles.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Apr 012007

Explorer

I have 2 issues that I would like addressed. 1. I believe that I have an electrical short or something because my radio keeps going out on the drivers side. This has been happening for about a year or so now. Not sure how to go about correcting the issue because I don't know if it is covered under warranty or not. 2. my hatchback has a crack in it and I am wondering if it is on recall to be replaced since I see alot of the same crack on other Explorer.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 222004

Explorer

I have had many, many problems with my 2004 Ford Explorer. Probably the most dangerous one is the recurring failure of the transmission. This last time that this occurred I was on interstate-85, in morning rush-hour traffic, and all of a sudden my RPM's are flying to the red danger area and I have no acceleration power and am losing speed. There is an 18-wheeler on my rear and I can't pick up speed! luckily, I was approaching an exit and managed to get the vehicle off of the interstate and onto a less traveled road. This is the second time that I have endured this scenario. Once again the solenoid is gone, with repairs estimated at $1255. I have had this problem repaired less than a year after purchase. I have had this problem repaired at 32,567 miles, and I now have this problem again at 76,725 miles. I have had the clutch pack replaced at 24,940 miles as well as the ring gear, pinion, and all bearings replaced at 24,940 miles. At 35,558 miles the lower ball joint had to be replaced. At 64,335 I had to have the pats transponder(security system) replaced. In short I have had the transmission repaired three times the front end rebuilt, the back end redone. I honestly can say I do not feel very safe in this vehicle, especially since I have to use this to Transport my children. These problems seem to be the norm for this particular vehicle, as I have done research on this. I don't understand why Ford is not made to resolve these issues. I have also had to have my heating and air replaced. This occurred in the winter of 2007 and was a safety issue, as I could not defrost my windows.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Jan 082008

Explorer 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer with 57,000 that started stalling while driving about 3 month ago. It shuts off like someone turned the key. The occurrence is very random and there is never anything common between occurrences except it typically happens when I am braking. It's as if it's running out of gas. It took about 10 minutes each time before it would restart. All 4 times, even though it died like the key was turned off, it acted like it was out of gas when I was trying to restart it and then all of the sudden it would start like normal. Since then the following has been done: Fuel filter replaced, maf sensor cleaned and the iac valve inspected. The service shop where it is taken says there is never an error code in the system when I bring it in. The vehicle is currently unsafe to drive with this condition.

- Livermore, CA, USA