2004 Ford Explorer electrical problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 022013

Explorer

My SUV shuts off, at full speed!!! I've been in contact with Ford's corporate office, dealerships and other mechanics..... it is an issue that tens of thousands of Ford Explorer owners have had. There are thousands of complaints online! it is so common that mechanics know what you're talking about, before you finish a description of the problem. It's alsoi common for individuals to replace motors and continue to have their vehicles shut off on them, at full speed!!!. I am afraid for my child's safety, as well as my own.

- Waynesboro, GA, USA

May 172015

Explorer

Complete engine failure while driving. Service engine soon light appeared 2 days previous but did not yet make it to the mechanic. Computer reading suggested a sensor problem. Engine shut down, lost power steering and all systems. Engine restarted but now idles rough.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jan 302015

Explorer

Driving down the road at 10:52 pm and with no warning the entire truck shut down/off. All lights inside and out shut off, engine shut off, no power to the entire vehicle. Coasted to a stop, put it in park and turned the key off and then back on - the truck started right up with out a problem.

- Kennett Square, PA, USA

Jan 282015

Explorer

Good morning, my car was parked in the driveway, not running, 11:15pm, when horn started to continuously and would not stop. Smelt wires burning. I started the car and was attempting to move it out of my neighborhood and upon driving, I tapped the horn and it stopped. Smell of wires burning. It happened again, yesterday am and today am, on the way to go, and I hit the horn and it stopped. Can this be airbag related"?" I am scared to drive my car, fearing the airbag will open or a fire is going to start.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Oct 172014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the service engine and the battery warning lights illuminated. The contact also stated that the vehicle jerked and made a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who replaced the front driver side hub and wheel bearing, the rear springs, the three passenger gear calipers, four rear driver side calipers, the battery, five rear brake pads, and six rear rotors plus an oil change. Three weeks after the repairs, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the brake pedal hesitated to respond. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer, who diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,817.

- Hornell, NY, USA

Oct 092014

Explorer

I was at a stoplight and when the light turned green my car would not move. The car was in drive and it would just rev. The cars behind me started honking. I put it in the lower gears and finally started moving forward and drove it to the dealership. As I was driving to the dealership in the lower gears the car shifted out of gear while in traffic, I put it in neutral and back into 3 and it started moving forward again. This is very dangerous since the car will just shift in and out of gear and stop moving forward. At the dealership the car would not move while in drive or reverse. They told me the transmission needs to be replaced at a cost of $4,200, this is after I just had the throttle body replaced two months ago at a cost of $1,800. Ford need to do a recall in these transmissions it could lead to an accident.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 092014

Explorer

My vehicle burned through another alternator, everything on the vehicle is 100% factory so I don't know what is causing that. Immediately after I replaced the alternator for the second time in 6 months, the power steering has vanished. I checked all the belts made sure everything is running properly and in the correct place. The power steering pump seems to be pumping but not working.

- Fitchburg, MA, USA

Apr 122014

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the indicator on the instrument cluster would not properly specify what gear the vehicle was engaged. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 117,000. The VIN was not available.

- Hedgesville, WV, USA

Dec 202012

Explorer

On the body the tailgate panel keeps cracking this makes my truck look bad compared to the money I put into it. My engine or transmission acts as if something is wrong it is not shifting gear right. On the electrical tire pressure light keeps coming on and it also keeps leaking water from somewhere. Ford needs to go out of business for selling these pieces of junk. It makes no sense.

- Columbus , GA, USA

Aug 222013

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact mentioned that the anti-theft alarm engaged automatically while attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 190,000.

- Wheatley Heights, NY, USA

Jul 292005

• 2,000,000 miles

My car won't shift in to gear any more.

- Lomita, CA, USA

May 222012

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact was driving 2 mph in reverse when the back up sensor failed and the contact crashed into another vehicle. The crash caused no injuries and the police were contacted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection of the failure or repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileage was 131,000.

- Brookville , IN, USA

Mar 092012

Explorer

After starting vehicle and moving shift lever from park to reverse - rotating shift handle mount broke off- required towing and $1800 repair cost. Have seen similar instances on consumer complaint boards - Ford fails to recognize as being a safety manufacturing defect.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jun 232007

Explorer 6-cyl

Cruise control is intermittent, sometimes accelerates unexpectedly especially when pushing the button to turn it off. So far have been able to stop car, but it is a scary situation. Also, rear warning indicator works only occasionally. Could run over or into someone if depending on it.

- Paradise, CA, USA

Sep 202011

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer XLT. The contact stated that the front windshield wipers, interior lights and all four windows failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that her VIN was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 00V072000. (electrical system: Fuses and circuit breakers). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who advised that she could file a claim and offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 132,000.

- Watertown, WI, USA

May 222007

Explorer 6-cyl

Hello, I have a 2004 Ford Explorer truck with a crack on the back of the hatch door. I don't know where this crack came from. I contacted the Ford company about this issue but since my vehicle is no longer under warranty they aren't willing to help. I first notice the crack about a year ago. When I contacted Ford to find out if this was a recall they said no. Recently I have been noticing that a lot of the Ford Explorer trucks I see all have a crack on the same portion of the truck. I spoke to another individual with a Ford Explorer and she doesn't know where the crack on the back of her truck came from either. We think this maybe a recall issue. I just started writing down the license plate numbers of the various Explorer trucks I see with the same or similar crack on the back hatch. Although I only have six tag numbers right now, I know that their are many more trucks with this problem. I seen more trucks but at the time I wasn't documenting the license plate numbers. There was also a recall on the hatch window in 2003 for the Ford Explorer truck. In 2007, I had the same issue as the 2003 recall on my 2004 vehicle but was told I had to pay to get it fixed myself because there wasn't a recall reported for 2004. Although it was a year later. It is obvious that the issue wasn't resolved because I had the same problem. There is also a break light switch problem. This issue has your break lights randomly coming on although the vehicle is turned off. Which drains the battery and causes you to have to get the brake switch fixed and a new battery. Please help me. I had no luck with the Ford Motor Company in resolving these issues.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 142010

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The vehicle was experiencing an intermittent failure in which the headlights, radio and windows stopped functioning while driving at any speed. The failures persisted for a duration of approximately 1-5 minutes. During the failures, the power door locks and instrument panel lighting also did not function. The vehicle was not taken to have the failures diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 97,000 and the current mileage was 98,000.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Dec 172009

Explorer

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer which while driving last year I was told that my hub assembly on my driver's side was bad and that I needed to replace it. I replaced it with a hub assembly from advance auto parts in Jan 2010. I just had to replace this part again in Dec 2010. I lost breaks. I also have a horrible jerking when I am backing up from a tight spot and the wheels are turned sharply. My door ajar light and all interior lights do not go off when the door is opened or the vehicle is cranked unless I turn the interior light switch to the off position and back to the on when the doors open position. I have had the electrical issue reviewed twice in the past. I have had the jerking looked at with no reason given more than once. I had my vehicle inspected on Nov 30th and nothing was mentioned about the terrible condition the hub assembly was in nor the bearings that a mobile mechanic showed me were terribly worn. I am replacing them soon. It seems to me that Ford must know about all of these problems and it should be something that they are willing to help the consumer in fixing since most Ford buyers are diehard Ford owners like myself.

- Henrico, VA, USA

Jun 062010

Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer another bad transmission ! $3000 rebuild over drive light flashing, interior lights stay on, windows don't go down, door open lights on dash are on.. seems to be alot of these complaints I been reading on the internet ! Ford had to have some fault in all these complaints "??"

- Johnstown, NY, USA

May 252010

Explorer

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being serviced for routine maintenance at an authorized dealer, he was informed that the blend door motor had failed. The blend door motor was replaced at the owners expense. The failure and current mileages were 88,820.

- New Castle, CO, USA