Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2004 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 262010

I backed SUV out of garage and put in park, got out of vehicle while still running (to close garage door), closed the SUV door, turned around and saw that SUV was moving forward into my garage. I opened the SUV door while it was moving and jumped in the drivers seat, pushed on the brake and SUV did not stop, I was looking down at the floor to see why SUV did not stop, pulled up my foot and placed it back down on the brake. SUV still did not stop. It then made a loud noise like the engine was reeving up and then the SUV took off forward, ran through the back of my garage, ran through my back yard, ran over a tree in the yard, ran through my back yard fence and my neighbor's fence and crashed into the back side of neighbor's house. All while this was occurring, I was inside of the vehicle with my left leg sticking out of the car (since I jumped in the SUV in a hurry, I didn't realize that my leg was still out of the SUV), I continually attempted to step on the brakes (each time lifting my foot up so that I could place it directly on the brake), the engine reeved up again while going through the yard. The only thing that stopped the SUV was the tall concrete foundation of my neighbor's house that it ran into. I jumped out of the SUV, fell to the ground and laid there for a few seconds before I realized that my SUV was still running, then I jumped back into the SUV and turned the ignition off.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Dec 012009

As everyone else, I am have a lot of problems with my transmission. It shifts very hard and jerks when put into reverse. Also having issues shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Problem is steadily getting worse. This morning the O/D off light started blinking. I killed the car and restarted it and it stopped. I dont understand why there has not been a recall on this. Ford obviously knows that there is a problem. How could they not? I have found tons of message boards on the internet with everyone else having the same problem.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jun 052005

Explorer 6-cyl

2004 Ford Explorer - I bought this vehicle new in Dec. 03. starting at approximately 14 months old, it starts stalling out, just dying completely. No signs, no symptoms, just die at a slow rate of speed. The first time it happened, I chalked it up to bad gas or something? finally, on the 3rd. Dead time, I took it into the dealer. They said they changed a fuse and it should be fine. It died again... and again. I took it back. They installed a black box (flight recorder & told me to drive it until the machine regestered "3". I had to keep the button by the steering column so I could push it quickly when the vehicle stalled. The first stall, I pushed the button & it registered "2". it died again just a block down the road (rush hour traffic on casino row, hwy 90). I pushed the button again & it registered "3". the next week I took it back to the dealer. They had the car 4 days this time & couldn't figure it out. Finally they called the engineers who said to "clean & tighten the grounding straps". that Friday, it died again. A couple of times it has dies, my newly licensed daughter was driving & now she is affraid of my car! the steering column locks when it dies. We were coming back from walmart & I kept telling her "turn, turn", she yelled "I can't". the car had died again! because of the hurricane, I couldn't take the vehicle back in. It died a total of 6 times during evacuation. 5 in slow traffic jams & once when coming 60 mph off the interstate onto an exit. I have since taken it back in to the dealer again (at the urging of Ford customer service) and they kept it 10 days & still do not know what is wrong! they gave me my car back & suggested I take it to another dealer.?! I am a United States air force instructor and I do not have the time to take it in constantly to the dealer. Plus, I pay an outrageous car payment just to have my vehicle sit in repair.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

Sep 272004

Explorer 4WD 8-cyl

When the air conditioner is on, there is a loud squeak each time the clutch engages. When taken to the dealer(john chandler Ford amarillo, tx), they state it is a normal occurance. You can hear the noise over the stereo and any talking. The vehicle has been to the shop @ 6 times, and no corrective action has been done for this issue.

- Canyon, TX, USA

Feb 262004

Explorer 8-cyl

The truck doesn't come with a cargo net or a device that can be used to separate the cargo area from the trucks cabin. Which in the event of an accident can cause serious injuries to the occupants because the cargo can fly forward and hit the occupants. Consumer was told at the time of purchase that they can purchase a net, but has now found out the net cannot fix this truck.

- Bedford, NY, USA