- November 28: Ford Panoramic Sunroof Lawsuit Dropped by Plaintiffs news | 4 days ago
- November 25: 2016 Ford Explorer Throttle Body Lawsuit Investigation Opened news | 7 days ago
- November 8: Ford Focus Purge Valve Focus of Lawsuit news | 24 days ago
- November 5: Ford Door Latch Recall Closes Ford Focus Investigation investigations | 27 days ago
- November 4: Study: Pickup Truck Headlights Leave Drivers in the Dark news | 28 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
seat belts / air bags Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer seat belts / air bags Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- retractor not working properly5
- air bag light is on2
- only 2 sets of carseat anchors in back seat1
- side air bags deployed unexpectedly without contact1
- NHTSA: Air Bags23
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Side/Window5
- NHTSA: Seat Belts4
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal3
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal: Sensor/Control Module1
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Rear1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.