- March 22: Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Lawsuit Says Cars Overheat news | 1 days ago
- March 20: Ford Explorer Police Vehicles Get Carbon Monoxide Detectors news | 3 days ago
- March 15: Ford Recalls 2017 Mustangs to Repair Door Handles recalls | 8 days ago
- March 5: Ford Dual-Clutch Transmission Lawsuit Filed in Texas news | 18 days ago
- March 3: Ford Recalls Edge, Lincoln MKX and Lincoln Continental recalls | 20 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2004 Explorer suspension Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- ball joint boots tearing open9
- suspension squeaks5
- broken coil springs4
- loud clunk from front when turning2
- NHTSA: Suspension15
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear14
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front3
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Wheel Bearing 3
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Lower Ball Joint1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Hub1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Stabilizer Bar1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.