- July 20: Ford Expands Chrome Door Handle Cover Recall recalls | 2 days ago
- July 16: Ford Recalls Edge, Fusion and Lincoln MKZ Over Torque Converters recalls | 6 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls Escape and Police Interceptors recalls | 23 days ago
- June 28: Ford Recalls 402,000 Transit Vans For Driveshaft Problems recalls | 24 days ago
- June 19: Ford Wins Lincoln Town Car Airbag Lawsuit news | 33 days ago
2004 Ford Explorer (Page 2 of 9)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 89,030 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 172 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace transmission (75 reports)
- replaced with rebuilt transmission (48 reports)
- not sure (26 reports)
- having the whole thing overhauled (17 reports)
- replace torque converter (2 reports)
- transmission seal failure causing leak and the pump is weak (2 reports)