7.8

$2,014.00

2. rebuild transmission (58 reports)
  3. replace shift solenoid (57 reports)
  4. replace transmission (56 reports)
  5. replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
  6. serviced transmission and cleaned valve body (3 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 10 of 20)

Jul 272010

Explorer XLT V8

Like others I had a problem with the transmission from the time it was bought. Dealer fixed it, it was fine until of course the warranty wore off. This was another Ford purchase after I swore I would not purchase another. Well I guess I don't have to be hit over the head a third time. No transmission that has been properly taken care of should have to be rebuilt at 70K miles on a decent truck. I can't believe Ford has not recalled this, it is obviously defective with so many people having the same issue.

- , Annandale, VA, USA

Jun 082009

Explorer

the problem was fix so they say now it has started to slip again and harder going into first do gear. the dealership that i purchase my vehicle now has moved and i can not locate it to honor my warranty which has now expired. i am upset and would not recommend this ford dealership to anyone.

feed up

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 012009

Explorer LX V6

FORD SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THE PROBLEMS WITH THE TRANSMISSION AND ALSO THE CRACK BELOW THE REAR WINDOW!!! I TOOK MY EXPLORER TO THE DEALERSHIP IN TOWN AND THEY SAID ONLY WAY TO SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE WAS TO PUT A NEW SELENOID TO THE TUNE OF 800.00. I ASKED IF THERE HAD BEEN ANYMORE COMPLAINTS THAT THEY KNEW OF ABOUT THE FORD EXPLORER AND THEY SAID NO. THEY ALSO ADVISED ME THAT THE SOLENOID MAY NOT FIX THE PROBLEM!!! I ALSO HAVE OWNED A 2000 FORD EXPLORER BEFORE THE 2004 AND NOW I REALIZE IT IS A MANUFACTURE DEFECT. WAS STUPID FOR BUYING THE SECOND ONE. BUT I CAN PROMISE THERE WILL NEVER BE A 3RD OR EVEN A FORD AT THIS POINT!!

- , South Hill, VA, USA

Jul 152010

Explorer LXT V6

So I bought an 04 Ford Explorer XLT from Carmax and 60thousand miles later the transmissions seems to bog down when it attempts to upshift to a higher gear or do the upshift by fail to engage immediately. There is an obvious wait period of the engagement at the lower gear. Even when I jam the peddle to the floor it takes it like 5 seconds to actually get to the gear that is needed. It will bog down, upshift, and then upshift again. My previous SUV (95 Chevy Blazer) never had this pause in upshifting. I haven't gotten the rough shift into reverse or the lerching of the vehicle. Just don't like have to preplan when i will need to extra power to get to a faster speed.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Aug 102004

Explorer 4.0L V6

In 2003 I traded my older model explorer in for a 2004 explorer. That was a horrible mistake. My fiancee noticed that the car was sliping as the gears were shifting when we were driving up a hill on the test drive! But of course I ignored it for my new shiny "loaded" car. It wasn't "that bad" in the beginning. However at just under 15,000 miles I took it into Ourisman World of Ford in Alexandria, Virginia because it was getting persistently worse. My exact complaint was "the car jerks into gear when put into reverse - it is more pronounced when turning and backing up." They "tested trans; performed pinpoint test; R&R trans pan; and added a replaced solenoid body." I had owned the car less than a year when this happened! I never had any problems with my original Explorer but after looking back over all of my service slips, I have had problems with this one since the beginning. I will never (read my lips) ever, buy another Ford. And I will tell everyone that will listen not to either. My old roommate used to tell me Ford meant Fix Or Repair Daily. She was right --- this problem (and a whole host of others) still persists to date!

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 152010

Explorer 4.0L V6

I just paid off my truck, but I will probably have to spend just as much repairing it. Granted it has 130,000 (daily commuting & leisurely traveling) miles on it - but this has been a problem car since it left the dealership (Ourisman World of Ford, Alexandria, VA). The car seems like its never going to shift gears. I was on a slight incline crossing the Woodrow Wilson bridge last week and my car felt like it was an airplane taking off. This is exactly what I told my fiancee. The gears don't shift until I'm at 40 mph and then they slip just to get get there. And the jerking that happens when I shift gears is a running joke between me and my kids. When I back into my parking space I have to wait a full 30 seconds for the car to finally catapults into reverse. Its worse than the hurler at Kings Dominion. My neighbors have learned to go around me. Ford replace the solenoid body in 2004 (9 months after I purchased the truck brand new) and now, 6 years later this probably has persisted and gotten even worse. I can't believe they will not recall this and instead leave us consumers to replace the transmission. I'm sure I will have to - but it will be at the cost of Ford losing a loyal customer for the past 10 years. I am going to take the truck to Ford to see what they will say - but I'm sure they willl be singing the same song they've sung to the others - it's your problem now...not ours!

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 062010

Explorer V6

I bought the car new in 2004. The transmission always was slow to engage and occasionally would be late shifting or shift/downshift hard. The problem became progressively worse the last few months and I took it to very reputable Transmission shop. Apparently this shop has made a living off Ford Explorers the last few years as mine was one of 4 at the shop having to have the transmission rebuild to correct failing servo board.

- , Franklin, TN, USA

Jun 042010

Explorer LX V8

I am a 59 year old very careful driver who takes care of his cars. I own a 2004 Ford Explorer That I purchased two and a half years ago. It has 97,000 miles on it. The check engine light came on last month . I took it to the dealer . He says the bands are worn and that I will need over $3,000 for a new trans. A car with 97,000 miles on it shouldn't need a new transmission.Obviously Ford knows they screwed up.

Here's the rub. I have owned this car for two years. Prior to that I drove another 2004 Ford Explorer that my company provided for me. The bands got worn at 60,000 miles and the transmission had to be replaced. I figured it was a fluke and bought this one. I know , I'm an idiot . I have learned enough this time to never buy another Ford product.

- , Hockessin, DE, USA

Jul 062010

Another 04 ford explorer owner with transmission slip/hard reverse issue:

transmission Repaired at aamco cost=2623.00 New assembly kit 352.40 Reconditioned torque converter (upgraded) 379.00 new bushing kit(upgraded) 41.10 new solenoid block 213.00 new reverse band 62.75 new boost valve 49.95 filter 26.70 transmission cooler(optional) 145.00 fluid 42.00 3yr/36.000mi warranty 350.00

- , Dade City, FL, USA

Oct 142008

Explorer LX V6

The fact that the transmission went out so soon after getting this truck I called Ford to see if there was a recall on it. The customer service lady said no and when I asked for possible assistance because of such an odd occurance her only reply was, "I don't see a bucket full of money sitting around anywhere to help you with".

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 012010

Explorer AWD 4.6L V8

Just add me to the growing list of 2004 Ford Explorer owners with transmission problems and rear bearing problems. I have 130,000 on it now, but problem been there since the first recall years ago. It just started to get worse and look like it is going to cost me about $2000.

- , Summerville, SC, USA

Jun 172010

Explorer

Just add me to the growing list of 2004 Ford Explorer owners with transmission problems and rear bearing problems. Had to replace transmission and rear bearings at 63,000 miles. I reported the issue to the Better Business Bureau and called Ford Motor Corp to enter a complaint. Ford would not negotiate with me at all on cost of repair. Everyone having this problem please call Ford and maybe we can get a recall. Hold on to your repair receipts. If Ford recalls we can get a refund as long as you can produce your receipt.

- , Albany, NY, USA

May 172010

Explorer

My sister had transmission trouble on her 04 Explorer at 46,000 miles. It went into gear slowly, and shifted hard in 2nd-3rd. I looked all over for the transmission dipstick and couldn't find one. The book said it had none and to take it to the dealer for a check-up. I took it to Dorian Ford in Detroit and they put in the new solenoid the same day at a cost of $460. My sister was livid that her vehicle could have such a major problem, so soon. She bought it with 24,000 miles and never planned on such a repair. It sounds like others have had worse situations than my sister did. Dorian Ford (Kyle) was very understanding and fixed the problem on the same day I took it to them. Wow!

- , Mishawaka, IN, USA

Jul 012006

Explorer

My 2004 Ford Explorer is the 3rd Explorer that I have owned. I started experiencing transmission problems around 50,000 miles. I took it to the dealership 6 times before I finally got a competent person to ride in the car with me and experience the same problem that I was complaining of. They had the truck around 3 days and supposedly fixed the problem. Shortly after my 60,000 mile warranty expired I was experiencing the same problem but only occasionally. I now have 140,000 miles and the transmission is horrible. Of course every time I took it to the dealership thy want to charge me ridiculous amounts to even diagnose the problem. My vehicle is barley operable now and I am still paying on it. Seems to me if it is the same problem they have fixed before that maybe they should fix it again, but Ford doesn't see it that way. My father has worked for Ford since he was 18 years old and I have always bought Ford vehicles until now. My daughter recently turned 16 and there was no way in hell I was letting her drive around in a Ford. When this Explorer finally dies, which I anticipate to be soon, as I have no money to pay thousands of dollars for a transmission, I will never buy a Ford AGAIN!

- , Belleville, IL, USA

Feb 282004

Explorer

I have an '04 Explorer and the transmission hesitates and shifts into reverse very hard. I bought it new in '04 and shortly thereafter took it in with this problem, which I was told it was an electronic problem, but it was not fixed. I did not take it back in because I went throught the warranty rather quickly and didn't have any faith in the Ford dealer in getting it repaired properly. Well it's still the same and I'm just waiting for the whole transmission to fall out. Ford needs to have a recall on this problem.

- , Austin, TX, USA

May 152008

Explorer XLT

seriously...the delay in shift time, the jerking that happens when it finally does shift. when slowing down it DROPS like a bastard. It feels like the undercarriage of my car is about to fall right out! I haven't gone to any shops about this because I thought about researching this further first. Doesn't look like Im the only one. boooooooooo ford.

- , Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Jun 122007

Explorer XLT

THIS IS MY 3RD FORD EXPLORER AND MY LAST. IT'S A LEMON. THE BACK GLASS LEAKED AND IT WAS REPAIRED 2 TIMES UNDER WARRANTY. THE TRANSMISSION SLIPS AND CAUSES THE VEHICLE TO JUMP INTO GEAR ESPECIALLY IN REVERSE. THE GAS GAGE DOESN'T WORK. BOTH PLASTIC PIECES THAT HOLE THE SUN VISORS IN PLACE BROKE AND ONE WAS DANGLING BY THE ELECTRICAL WIRE. NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN FIXED. MY ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON ALL THE TIME. iT'S A HONDA OR TOYOTA FOR ME FROM NOW ON.

- , Tyler, TX, USA

Jan 302009

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

bought this truck from a dealer in Lakewood,NJ. Man, I wish I found this site sooner. I noticed the problem within the first HOUR of purchase, and called the dealer immediately. I explained how the truck was not shifting properly, and it felt as though the transmission wanted to completely fall out from underneath it. The dealer assured me that his dealer would take a look at it, & got a loaner car. To sum it up, I got the "we could not duplicate the problem" excuse as well, brought it back a few more times & a transfer case & couple of mechanics later, I was told "just drive it ",by the ever-so-helpful car dealer, of course. I should've kept the loaner. I also gave it a tune-up with a new air filter & plugs, and purchased new tires, and I'm still trying to pay the damn truck off. It still lunges into reverse, shifts horribly between 2nd & 3rd gears, and overall runs more sluggish than my 1997 Explorer! I guess I wasn't crazy after all...just wish I did more research beforehand. Unbelievable that there is not a recall. I also have been driving with my children when, while making a right-hand turn, the truck suddenly upshifts and accelerates. WHAT'S UP FORD???!!! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. I WORK HARD FOR MY MONEY AND SO DOES EVERYONE THAT HAS A COMPLAINT UP HERE! Do the right thing & fix this mess once and FOR ALL.

- , Jackson, NJ, USA

Jul 012009

Explorer LX

I bought my 2004 Ford Explorer in November of 2008. I have owned a Ford for the last 10 years and never had any problems. Therefore, I trusted Ford. About 7 or 8 months after I bought my Explorer it began to jump really hard when I put in reverse. It didn't do it everytime, so I sort of didn't pay attention to it. Then, this began to happen on a regular basis. It also began to jump or jerk whenever it was changing gears. I was so upset. Everyone I spoke to told me it sounded like the transmission. I started researching to find out how much it costs to replace a transmission. When I found out it was around $3,000 I felt sick. I hadn't even had this truck for a year. Well, I didn't have the money to fix it. I am a teacher and a single mother and that was just too much money for me. I decided I would have to just live with it and pray nothing happened. Then I began researching on the internet about this problem and discovered so many more people had the same problem with this year model Ford. Even down to the crack on the back door. I emailed Ford and asked for some assistance with this repair. They said sorry there is no recall on your vehicle. Well, I had to finally do something about the jerking and jumping. I took my Explorer to a transmission shop and found out it was the solenoid that had to be replaced. It cost me $500. I am so angry with Ford for not taking care of this problem. I will never in my life time own another Ford. I will also make sure that noone in my family owns one. I will tell my story to every single person I share it with. It is so irresponsible of Ford to not to acknowledge this problem and take care of the people who have been financially harmed by their error.

- , Wichita Falls, TX, USA

Feb 102010

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L

I own an 04 Explorer 4.6L.The transmission is slipping just before upshift. It also slips at random. After hard braking to a stop, the transmission is not engaged at all, for several seconds. After doing some research,it does not seem worth it to spend the money to have the transmission repaired. Total rebuild or replacement is only a temporary solution because Ford has not developed a replacement for this obvious defect. I also have written off the cracked back window plastic crap, and the rear passenger window not working, as the price of buying a used car. I am a long time Ford customer, I own a 1999 Expedition, with 220,000 miles. I have had no issues with the drivetrain. I feel for all of you who have spent thousands of dollars on your cars, only to have the same problem again in only a few months! I figure I will have to take a big loss on the Explorer. It seemed like a great deal when I bought it in 08, with 40K miles on it. Now I realize why. I am in the market for a car again. Ford is doing well compared to it's main competitors, I guess they decided to blow off everyone who bought what they claim is the "Best selling SUV on the planet". The make of my next purchase will not start with an "F".

- , Malabar, FL, USA