7.8

$2,014.00

2. rebuild transmission (58 reports)
  3. replace shift solenoid (57 reports)
  4. replace transmission (56 reports)
  5. replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
  6. serviced transmission and cleaned valve body (3 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 18 of 20)

Mar 072007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I purchased a used 2004 Explorer in Feb of 07. One month later, I noticed a jerking motion when putting the car in reverse. I took the vehicle back to the dealer, as it was covered under their warranty at that time. After keeping the vehicle the entire day, of course, their findings were normal and I was told not to worry. As the months went by, I notice the same jerking motion but a lot more severe with a loud sound, that feels as if the bottom of the car is going to drop out. I took the vehicle to a Ford dealer and they too could not find any problems and told me not to worry. However, the problem is worsening. I am taking it to a transmission specialist with the hopes that they will be able to find the problem and fix it. I also hope whatever the problem is, it will be covered under the extended warranty as I feel I should not have to kick out any expenses as I reported the problem immediately after purchasing the vehicle. I now learned that the dealer that I purchased the vehicle from is being sued by another individual, that I just so happen to meet at the auto repair shop who purchased car from them. Although it is a different make and model, the engine blew up after only having the car for two months.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Nov 102007

Explorer XLT 4.6L V8

First off, I love my fords...It is evident because I own 5 of them...However, when I bought my 1st explorer in 1996 I fell in love. I had it for about 5 years (88,000) , then had to replace the tranny. Drove it for a while then had to replace it again (148,000), then put a rebuilt one at 204,000. Got my money's worth out of it, but it was a real pain. The tranny's sucked. Now I went and bought a used one a month ago with 52,000 miles on it. It ran great and now the tranny is slipping in it. It grinds when I first pull out from a red light or something and if I try to back up on the slightest incline, you think the bottom is going to fall out of it because it sounds so bad. Took it to the Ford dealer and they said a new tranny. Well, I thought when I bought this one and purchased an extended warranty program on the internet and guess what. They say that it will not cover the problem. I have to shell out for it myself. Well, I called Ford Customer Care team and still haven't heard anything from them. I love my Fords. They are the best looking vehicles on the road today. I just wish that they would fix the tranny problems...

- , Harlan, KY, USA

Nov 072007

Explorer ES 4.0L V6

I had the same problem as the other posters. I had purchased my Explorer brand new in April 2004. At 12,000 miles, when I was backing into my regular parking spot at work, it jerked. And at times it would not even move. I would have to put it in park and try again to get it to move. Now it jerks forward as well and I have about 52000 miles on it. I have an appointment scheduled and luckily I purchased the extended warranty that covers a rental car until the problem is fixed. I noticed there was a recall on the vehicle but probably didn't get the letter because soon after I purchased the vehicle I moved to a new home. This is awful! Does anyone know if the lemon law can come into affect on this one. I rather just get a new car, especially since this one runs like an old one!

- , Marrero, LA, USA

Nov 052007

Explorer XLT,NBX 4.0L,V6

I purchased my Explorer used, with 29000 miles, in Dec. 2006. A month later I started noticing the harsh engagement or what I would call " jerking my brains out!". I work near a Ford dealership, dropped it off, and they told me it was a Solenoid Body that needed to be replaced, under warranty, replaced, end of story----or what I thought!!!! A week ago, around Oct. 31, I noticed the same thing started happening again, so I stopped by the same dealership that fixed it before, and told them what was going on. Of course, the part was only warranted for only 12 months, and they wanted 69.00 just to look at it and tell me for sure what it was. Another dealership in or town only charges 40.00, so I went there. Guess what? It was the Solenoid Body, again, and they told me that a certain "additive" was supposed to have been added in, when it was changed out. According to my invoice it wasn't. They said the additive was loke "liquid gold", and probably would have prevented this from happening, at least so soon. SO NOW I AM FURIOUS! I call Ford Motor Company and tell them everthing, and that I shouldn't be made responsible for the repair. The estimate was for 556.00. That was oct. 31st and it is now Nov. 5th, and still awaiting their decision to help with repair. I received a fax from the dealership that replaced it in Jan. 06, and it showed their was a recall on the additive, and it was done before I even bought the vehicle. So my question now is--

does the additive need to be put in everytime the transmission fluid is changed or in my case, the Solenoid Body replaced, or is the 1 time enough? I think the damage has done been done. I found a website, or forum that you can link on to info on a possible Class Action Lawsuit regarding this transmission issue. I read where one mans wife was ran over, when there vehicle slipped out of park as soon as she got out. She is now paralyzed.

- , Weber, VA, USA

Nov 012007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

When I looked in the owner's manual, I found a place where it said that the jerking was "no reason for concern". Now my truck is SLAMMING into reverse. While driving, if I take my foot off the gas to apply the break, it jerks forward. When my truck is shifting from 2nd into 3rd, the truck jerks forward. Fortunately, I purchased the extended warranty on my truck and only have to pay $100. This is the 2nd solenoid to be replaced on my truck. I am very frustrated with this. As I was reading through everyone's complaints....it is as if FORD is replacing solenoids like "putting a band-aid" on the problem instead of fixing it. Like everyone has said, it only fixes the problem temporarily. I have really enjoyed my Explorer until now. I am really frustrated with this problem and will never buy another FORD again.

- , Bonneau, SC, USA

Oct 252007

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

well i got the explorer at 62000 miles. about a month after getting it found this site and was horrified about the problems with the explorer. well after reading all this i decided to get an extended warranty. well im at 68000+ miles and now my transmission is starting. first it started as a light thump when i would shift into reverse. over the course of 3000 miles it has started to slam into reverse. sometimes when the transmission shifts from first to sec gear it shutters. also sometimes it takes up to 5 sec for the transmission to shift from park to reverse or from drive to reverse. so in about a month or so im going to take it in and call the warranty people. pay my 100 dedcutable and have them fix this mess. im deploying in January so i guess when i get back i will be trading in this exploder. i have loved ford for a long but this will prob be the last ford i ever get. now looking at the Mazda cx-7 or maybe a Subaru. i advise owners of the exploder to get an extended warranty before there exploder starts to act up. the one i found is great. if anybody wants to know the company let me know

- , Lawton, OK, USA

Oct 252007

Explorer XLT Sport 4.0L

After reading some of the comments about the transmission, I've decided that I also have felt the hard shifts that my Explorer sometimes makes. Sometimes you think it's not gonna shift and then it slams into gear...I actually got rid of a brand new Ford Windstar quite a few years ago after owning it for only three months, for the same reason. I ended up with an Expedition that didn't seem to have this problem but then stupidly traded it in after three years for a smaller vehicle which is my Explorer and ended up with the same problem as the Windstar but just not as bad. Looks like Ford seems to have a problem with their transmissions and can't seem to make them right which makes me think I better look at a different company next year when I buy my new vehicle! It will be American made but just not Ford...

- , St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Oct 182007

Explorer XLT V6

We bought our Explorer in 2004 and a year later the fist issue started. The transmission slips all the time but randomly. Every time we take it in for service they "fix" it but it keeps coming back or they "can't find" the problem. It has been a few months over 3 years since we bought it and it just went in again for the 4th or 5th time. We've had no luck with dealer so we're taking legal action against the manufacturer. I love the way it looks and drives when operating correctly but will never buy another Ford again! EVER! NEVER! It's a shame.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 282007

Explorer

at 2600miles brought it in with transmission issue of slipping and hard reverse shift, was told by Ford they couldn't find problem. At 28,000miles, brought it in again with same problem, they fixed it with solenoid (sp?), at 98,000 same problem and brought it in, this time they want me to pay $3000 for a new transmission. Despite my past history with this issue, they will not take responsibility for it. I declined services and will seek legal advise on this matter.

- , REnton, WA, USA

Oct 092007

Explorer XLT

When I shifted into reverse the car would have a delay reaction then jerk back. Then the car started having trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd and i took it in to the dealership since it was still under warranty. They fixed it after a week of having it in the shop. I wont' ever buy an Explorer thats fr sure. Thus wasn's the first problem ive had.

- , Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 292007

Explorer XLS 4.0L

i am also having a same problem as every one else, when going to reverse from drive the whole car just jerks really bad, shifting from second gear to third gear. Took the car to dealer twice they changed transmission oil once and then replaced solenoid and still giving problems. I think we all need to get together and file a law suit against FORD, i bet anything on it that we will win it.

Worst piece of sh*t i ever owned, i will never buy a FORD again or recommend anyone else buying one.

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 082007

Explorer XLS V6

transmission failed - service tech said they would contact Ford for "assistance" with our repair

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 082007

2nd time car was in for transmission problem

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 022007

Explorer EB 4.6L V8

This is an update to a previous report I submitted about my explorer having transmission problems shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. When the Ford mechanics took apart the transmission, they found that the transfer case was also scarred and the only solution left was to replace the transmission costing $4000. Since so many people have posted complaints on this site and others on the internet, we called our area Ford representative and requested Ford to kick in more money to pay for the the replacement. Ford agreed to pay $2500 of the cost. I suggest to everyone with this problem to put up a fight and it will probably help to alleviate some of the cost.

- , Thornton, CO, USA

Sep 162007

Explorer EB 4.6L V8

I purchased my explorer new 3 years ago. I noticed when I shifted from park to drive, the car would hesitate and then go into gear. The problem got worse over time. Now at 50,000 miles, my car was shifting really hard especially from 2nd to 3rd gear. I took it to the Ford dealer, and they told me 3rd gear was trashed. They gave me 2 options - rebuild 3rd gear or replace the entire tranny for 4000$. With the car only being 3 years old, we put up a big fight with the dealer and got them to agree to pay for half the cost of replacing the tranny thru some kind of Ford program. I had a 2000 explorer and enjoyed the car so much that I bought the 2004 after I put a bunch of miles on my first one. I won't buy another explorer after this experience and after seeing how many others have this same problem.

- , Thornton, CO, USA

Sep 282007

Explorer XLT V6

there was a recall on the tranny, i took it back and it still did the same thing when you put it into gear it hesitates and if you step on the gas the car jerks i guess FORD= FIX OR REPAIR DAILY

- , Buffalo, NY, USA

Sep 192007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

we purchased the vehicle with 34000 miles as is. that should have been our first red flag so we dont buy the extended warranty, thinking low miles, new vehicle, what could go so wrong. it was our backup and vacation vehicle. well when we need it for backup the transmission starts slipping. we take it in to get it looked at and a week later find out the transmission is shot and it needs a whole new one for a cost of $3600. well we complained and got a thousand dollars off so we paid it and got it fixed. why would a transmission need to be replaced with such low mileage? you would think that ford would fix this problem but of course not that is more money they would have to spend and save the consumer a big headache.

- , Winchester, VA, USA

Sep 132007

Explorer Limited 4.6L

Drivetrain problems at 23,000 is not acceptable on a vehicle such as the Explorer which has been on the market forever.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 062007

Explorer XLS V6

I BOUGHT MY 2004 BRAND NEW. AFTER A FEW MONTHS, I NOTICED A HARD "CLUNK" WHEN SHIFTING INTO REVERSE. I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER, AND THEY COULD NOT FIND THE PROBLEM. IT WOULDN'T "CLUNK" FOR THEM AND TOLD ME NOT TO WORRY BECAUSE "THEY" COULD'NT FIND ANYTHING WRONG. ALTHOUGH IT STILL DID THIS OFTEN, I JUST THOUGHT OF IT AS "NORMAL". NOW I HAVE 64,000 MILES, MY EXTENDED WARRENTY HAS RUN OUT AT 60,000 MILES AND I WAS ON MY WAY FROM DE TO VT ABOUT 2 HOURS FROM HOME AND SMOKE WAS COMING FROM UNDERNEATH MY CAR. PULLED OVER RIGHT AWAY AND FOUND TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKING FROM CAR. I AM ROYALLY PISSED! CALLED MY MECHANIC RIGHT AWAY AND HE TOLD ME I COULD PROBABLY MAKE IT HOME. HE ALSO TOLD IT SOUNDED LIKE THE FRONT SEAL OF THE TRANSMISSION. HOW DOES THIS OCCUR? MY CAR WILL BE 3 YEARS ON SEPT. 29, 2007. NOT EVEN 3 YEARS OLD. I DID'NT NOW HOW MANY PROBLEMS PEOPLE HAVE HAD WITH THE TRANSMISSIONS ON THERE 2004 EXPLORER UNTIL I FOUND THIS WEBSITE. THIS IS BULLSHIT. FORD MOTOR CO. HAS A HUGE PROBLEM WITH THESE TRANSMISSIONS AND I AM GOING TO FIGHT FOR THIS PROBLEM. ANYONE ELSE?

- , 24889 Cannon Road, DE, USA

Jun 062007

Explorer XLT V6

2004 ford explorer xlt 49000 miles and the tranny is slipping. The dealer took it for a ride and it slipped for him but he said he did not know what it was. Now they called me 4 days later and said they have to put in a new tranny, ridiculous.

- , Macedon, NY, USA