7.8

$2,014.00

2. rebuild transmission (58 reports)
  3. replace shift solenoid (57 reports)
  4. replace transmission (56 reports)
  5. replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
  6. serviced transmission and cleaned valve body (3 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 19 of 20)

Jun 082007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I just purchased an XLT 2004 Explorer, 2 days ago and I am having nothing but problems from the time I drove off the lot. Only 40K miles on it and major bangs and shift lags coming from the trans.

The truck is perfect in every way except for the tranny. I have brought it back to the dealer and I am praying they will fix it for free.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Jun 242007

Explorer LX V6

Within the first few months of owning the vehicle, we had slight slippage of the gears. At 18000 miles, I took the vehicle in for repair under warranty, and the solenoid was replaced at that time. The transmission has never been right since the day we owned the car. Now the problem has gotten much worse, we are now at 47,000 miles, and they want to change the solenoid again. Of course, now that would be my expense to the tune of about $900. Of course, I don't believe that would fix the problem since it did not the first time. I spoke to someone in the Atlanta headquarters, he suggested I talk to the general manager at the Ford dealership where I have bought my last 6 or 7 Fords. I think that will be the last Ford we ever purchase.

- , Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Aug 032007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I have the same never ending problem as everyone else. Transmission slipping when going into reverse. Solenoid had been replaced twice. The engine slips gears when i take my foot off the gas. I have been to 3 different ford dealerships and have come to the conclusion that FORD will never be able to fix the problem. Anyone what to buy a car?

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 022007

Explorer V6

2004 shifting hard especially from drive to reverse or reverse to drive. Hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear especially from accelerating on the interstate. Took to dealer ~ solenoid package to be replaced, changed transmission filter and fluid. $900.00 later the car is fixed. Bought Millennium platinum coverage with purchase of vehicle and it only cost me $169.00 out of pocket.

- , Benton, AR, USA

Jul 262007

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

My explorer just Crapped out on me this week and is now "undriveable" as I have had the same problems with my Transmission slamming into reverse and also slipping when it shifts into 2nd and again into 3rd gears. I contacted my local Ford dealership and was told there was a crack in the transmission and due to that the pressure to shift is lost thus causing the slamming and slipping. They told me it would be $2200.00 to fix this as they would basically have to replace the entire transmission. I told them that explorers were infamous for this problem and they tried to tell me that the explorers had the best transmissions of any of the Ford models. I laughed in his face and had my car towed home where it will sit in my driveway, as I am not willing to pay $2200.00 for a problem that Ford is aware of and is un-willing to fix. I will NEVER buy another Ford or Ford product. Instead of their motto being "Built Tough" it should be "Built Junk" . Way to go Ford! and you wonder why no one is buying american made anymore.

- , Holiday, FL, USA

Jul 152007

Explorer XLT 4.0L

My Ford 2004 is the worse car I have ever owned. My Toyota with 225,000 miles has had less problems than my Ford with 40,000 miles. Transmission and Differential have both been rebuilt not to mention it goes back in the shop tomorrow for what I think is the exhaust manifold leaking. I will and would never buy a Ford again! It has had other problems as well. The transmission is still not right.

- , Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jul 122007

Explorer

My Explorer only has 68000 miles on it and hesitates when shifting while parked and while driving and when it does shift it the whole truck jumps.

- , Erie, PA, USA

Jul 132007

Explorer XLS 4.0L

I have noticed varying degrees of transmission slippage the past month - checked internet and found this site. Car had transmission fluid added as part of recall when I first purchased car (3 years ago). At this point it isn't terribly annoying - based on what I have read on this site it may be better to wait until things get really bad instead of trying interim fixes that don't work. Used to like Ford Explorers but it's changing quickly with this car.

- , SanDiego, CA, USA

Jul 032007

Explorer XLT 4.9L V6

Much like everyone else here I brought my little "lemon" to the dealer for the first time after the recall of 2 years ago. They installed the "additive" and poof my vehicle was "repaired". Well now that I am passed my original warranty I have to pay as they say it had nothing to do with the original recall. Seems a little odd to me, as the hunk of junk never did operate the way it should. The only saving grace for me is that it is a lease and it's due to go back in 3 months. So I will return the favor to FORD and make the necessary "temporary" repairs until I can drop it back in the dealers lap. To think I was actually considering buying it out at the end of my lease! I smell a class action suit. Count me in if they even dare to charge me back for any transmission problems on return!

- , Medford, NY, USA

Jun 042007

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

I'm so utterly disgusted with Ford and the way they're handling this rampant transmisson problem. I'm one hundred percent convinced that the factory transmission fluid recall was the reason why I'm experiencing on-going problems. I WILL ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER FORD AND WILL MAKE IT MY MISSION TO SPREAD THE WORD HOW BADLY FORD'S SUCK!

- , Somerville, MA, USA

Apr 212007

Explorer XLS V6

poor dad had to put up with a 02 explorer now an 04 explorer and doing the same thing as the 02 the trans takes 6 seconds to go into reverse and shifts really hard like you hit something

- , Trooper, P. A. 1, USA

Mar 292007

Explorer XLT 4.0 V6

I had no idea the transmission problems in the Explorer were so damn rampant! (i thought it was just my vehicle). I too, have a 2004 Explorer with the "reverse bang" problem, also some gear slippage that seems to be getting worse. I was hesitant at first, to register here and voice my problem.. but after seeing the "tons" of other complaints... I had to come forward. I really hope Ford can do something about this Widespread tranny disaster!

- , Queens, NY, USA

Mar 242007

Explorer Limited V6

I got the same problem as everyone else. Tansmission slipping when moving from reverse to forward as well as when starting from a dead stop. Had fixed at 34k miles under warranty, now 7k miles later same problem. About to be totally ripped off at the dealer as I am sure they will say it is a "new" problem and not something they fixed the first time.

- , Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Mar 122007

Explorer XLT

I had the tranny fluid replaced for the recall and then at 10,000 miles my vehicle would hesitate when placing vehicle in reverse for 5 - 20 seconds and then would slam into reverse. I brought it into dealer and they said they 'tightened' the transmission - and after looking at the service paperwork, noticed they actually replaced the solenoid. At 50,000 miles I started having the same problem, but this time I was also experiencing slippage in gears while in stop and go traffic. The tranny was hesitating to go in gear while in drive in slow speeds - 5 to 10 mph. I again took it in for service and was told in would be $730 to replace the solenoid AGAIN! ONE WEEK LATER and the SAME PROBLEM!!!!! Now, they are saying roughly $2400 and the bands and servo's need to be rebuilt, that there is metal pieces in the transmission. They want to replace the complete transmission.

- , Albany, NY, USA

Mar 102007

Explorer XLS V6 4.0

i purchased my 04' explorer in nov 2005, had it for a little over a month and the shifting from park to reverse was very loud. i brought it into the dealer which claim they fixed the shift sylinoid. ok, today is march 10, two months later, still having the same problem. i am taking it in again!! will the tranny be replaced this time??? i will never buy another ford. ever!

- , Winnetka, CA, USA

Jan 212007

Explorer XLT 4.0

The vehicle has been shifting hard for sometime now. Ford said all I need to do is add an additive but I took it to the best Tranny guy in town and he told me to clean it and trade it before it was too late. Said it was going to cost me thousands to fix it and it wasn't worth it. I think FORD is a rip off, they don't own up to their problems, you can't get the info you need from them on anything for example they lost my request for title when I moved... go figure, and the dealership rolled an illegal $5000.00 lease termination when I purchased a vehicle from them. Didn't find out that was against Ford policy with its dealers until this year... they take no blame on that either. I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN AND PLAN ON TELLING EVERYONE ABOUT THE PROBLEMS I AM HAVING.

- , Columbiana, OH, USA

Jan 202007

Explorer

I was in Austin when my Transmission went out. The overdrive light came on and it would not shift. I had my transmission rebuilt one month prior to this and then this happened. This time the transmission guy replaced the entire thing. I picked up my car four days ago and now the O/D light came back on again. This is causing me so much distress because I need my car and have no other form of transportation. Can anyone help me?

- , Katy, TX, USA

Nov 122006

Explorer XLT V6

Purchased this car in germany by way of delivery from the U. S. shipped this vehicle from germany to new jersey and drove it to az and now there is a problem with the gears not shifting when you shift them . It takes a good bit of time for it to shift after you've changed gears. At 1st i thought that it was just my wife and her driving skills but after reading other complaints about this vehicle I now know different. If Ford is unwilling to fess up and take responsibility for making screwed up vehicles then why should we as consumers continue to support them.

- , Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Jan 132007

Explorer XL V6

We had the recall on this looked at. They put the fluid they said was needed. However it never did the trick. I think Ford needs to recall these bad transmissions before it gets too late and they end up with another law suit like the roll over issue. FORD DO THE RIGHT THING HERE.

- , Goochland, VA, USA

Nov 062006

Explorer XLT

Apparently, this is an significant problem with the Ford Explorer, that should be looked into! I too am having the identical problem @ 53K miles on my 2004 Ford Explorer. It started with the annoying thrust/bang when the car was put into reverse... then recently when driving and the car shifts gears you feel the hesitation. I've had a car diagnostic performed at three different locations one being a Ford Service department and the problems is within the transmission (Broken OD Band & the "lovely" shift solenoid). And, the cost ranges from $2,200 - $3,200, the dealership being the most expensive. I put myself at risk everyday, because it's not covered under warranty!

- , Roselle, NJ, USA