7.8

$2,014.00

2. rebuild transmission (58 reports)
  3. replace shift solenoid (57 reports)
  4. replace transmission (56 reports)
  5. replace shift solenoid and bands (9 reports)
  6. serviced transmission and cleaned valve body (3 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 20 of 20)

Nov 292006

Explorer LX V6

having more transmission problems previously was fixed when under warranty now no warranty. I'm sure damage already done and previous fix was temporary. trans slipping, shifting harder than it used to, not to mention losing rear axle grease. did you know that there is no way to check and see if your running low on transmission fluid in this model?

- , Grayson, KY, USA

Nov 292006

Explorer LX V6

dealer replaced fluids and solenoid "transpack" at 30,000 miles. my 2004 explorer was having major delays when changing from reverse to forward (like when you back out into traffic and need to take off before getting smashed by oncoming traffic). we're talking 15 sec delays at most. dealer fixed under warranty and had recall for this problem.

now I'm at 68,000 miles and having some possible slipping on take off, losing rear axle grease, shifts hard, and it has always been rough when turning in tight spaces like parking lots etc. It's like the 4x4 kicks in when you turn steering wheel hard.

- , Grayson, KY, USA

Nov 152006

Explorer XLS

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer and at 7000 miles I started having problems with transmission. When going from park to reverse it hesitates for a 5 to 20 seconds before engaging into gear. We took it to the dealer under warranty and we were told they adjusted it. It stopped for about 3 months and it started again. At 37000 the transmission started slipping and shifting hard. I can only believe that all my transmission problems began at the factory when the put the wrong tranny fluid into it. Ford knows about the problems and will not fix these bad transmissions. They paid to have the transmission fluid replaced but that does not fix the damage already done. 2004 Ford Explorers are lemons! I will not buy another Ford EVER!!!

- , Shorewood, IL, USA

Oct 272006

Explorer LX

The transmission would hesistate and bang when going from park to reverse. the delay could at times be as much as 20 seconds which has put us in danger quite a few times. Someone has to actually DIE before Ford will cover this problem once you are out of warranty. The dealership said they wanted $85 / hour to diagnose known and common problem and then more to fix.

I will NEVER buy another Ford product and unitl take take my last breathe i will tell everyone not to as well!

They have no moral compass whatsoever

- , Swampscott, MA, USA

Sep 022006

Explorer

Transmission was slipping in 2nd & overdrive. The shift solenoid was replaced at 55,000 miles, and three months later, at 57,000 miles, the same problem came back. To replace the shift solenoid was about $900, and the same Ford dealership in Waldorf, Maryland that did the shift solenoid replacement is telling me that I will have to buy a new transmission.

The shoddy work and poor replacement products have pushed me from ever buying another Ford product, or any auto manufacturer that they own. This includes Jaguar and Mazda. My wife and I are now looking to buy a car, and I would not take a Ford if they gave me a free Ford GT if they gave it to me.

I can fully understand why the company is losing money in the domestic auto market. I was told that Ford had fixed the previous transmission problems before I bought my truck. I am now of the belief that this car company will never be able to fix this problem.

- , Temple Hills, MD, USA

Sep 022006

Explorer

The truck would hesitate & bang going into reverse. The 2nd gear was slipping. I was told to replace the shift solenoid. This solved the problem for about 60 days.

- , Temple Hills, MD, USA