- November 26: Ford Recalls 150,000 Escapes That Could Go Up in Flames
- November 23: Ford Recalls Focus Electric Car For Transmission Software Problems
- October 27: Ford Recalls Cars With Silent Door Chimes
- September 30: Drive a Ford F-250? Better Lock the Doors
- September 11: Ford Focus Electric Cars Target of Federal Investigation
Wheel Bearings Bad
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 373,846 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 30 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace wheel bearing (18 reports)
- not sure (4 reports)
- Replace wheel bearings and rims (4 reports)
- replace wheel bearings & rear axle (2 reports)
- replace all four wheels (1 reports)
- replace bearings assembly hub (1 reports)
wheels / hubs problem