7.8

1. replace wheel bearing (22 reports)
  2. relace both front wheel bearings (10 reports)
  4. replace bearings assembly hub (4 reports)
  5. Replace wheel bearings and rims (4 reports)
  6. replace wheel bearings & rear axle (2 reports)
2004 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

2004 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 012010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Replaced 3 of 4 bearings. Replaced driver front 3 times.

- , Frankfort, IL, USA

Feb 012014

Explorer XLT V8

I go in to have some loud humming/whirring noise diagnosed to find out I was dangerously close to my bearings breaking in the fronts! I drive my two young boys around in this car and I can't even imagine an issue like this not being made publicly known to Ford owners to get examined. Then I had an unexpected cost to cover! Well of course Ford Motor Credit allowed me some credit enough to cover the repair. They are making millions off of people who own these troubled cars. My laundry list is getting longer and longer.

- , Fairfield, CA, USA

Jun 022002

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L Flexible

Noise coming from front end and 4x4 light flashing. This was the first of 4.

Update from Nov 12, 2014: Actually this was the 2nd

Feb 092002

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L Flexible

check abs light on while driving, also really loud. had to replace right front hub and bearing assembly and rt front sensor.

Mar 242012

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0L Flexible

Loud humming when driving. gets louder at higher speeds. Had to replace Left rear hub and bearing.

Aug 102012

Explorer XLT V6

Left rear wheel bearing & assembly went bad. Out of warranty. Took it to local repair: Twin Peaks Auto Service, 909.447.0082

Update from Nov 12, 2014: mileage was 106190. Got confused because of MULTIPLE SHOP ORDERS!!!!!!!!

- , Twin Peaks, California, USA

Jan 062014

Explorer Eddie Bauer 3.2L V6

What can I say, I truly understand the Ford name, you truly 'fix or repair daily'

- , Lady Lake, FL, USA

Dec 162013

Explorer Limited V6

Have changed wheel bearings and still having problem with the roaring sound of the hub in the wheel while driving my Explorer! Figure we had a defected part so we took it back and still having the same problem! Don't know what else to do cause we have replaced ball and joints on top and bottom on both sides of front so I don't know what else to do! And no one else can figure out why the humming sound is still there!

I have all kinds of problems with this Ford Explorer since I purchased it! And Its always something new each month! Having problems not only with bearings had problems with axles and a loud racket when backing out, it feels like my whole back end is falling apart! When Ford made this car they did not do their best at the job at making this one! They need a recall on this car cause my transmission fills like its is going out to! And I only have one car to depend on so if this car goes out, well, I am stuck with walking. But does the Ford company care about people who may be single parents or not? Nope, they are there just to make money and then not to stand by their product.

And what is the deal with about the back window under where it cracks! When you shut your hatch back, yeah, defected there too. They should have a recall on that! Ford company, I used to love Ford but I think now I want to change my way of thinking cause ya do not stand by your work and fix your problems in your defected products that ya made! And ya know the problems. Ya choose to not fix the problems! Wow! STAND BY YOUR PRODUCT! and then ya will have people stand by ya more!

- , Gleason, TN, USA

Oct 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

First of 3 wheel bearings failed. It got pretty loud and I finally had the Ford dealer fix it.

- , Madison, WI, USA

May 092009

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

Two more wheel bearings failed. I had the Ford dealer replace them. Clearly there is a problem with the design.

- , Madison, WI, USA

Jul 012009

Explorer LS 4.0L

2009 the rear wheel bearing went out. The warranty the dealership insisted we pay for when we bought the vehicle covered that. That cost was about 800.

- , Watauga, TX, USA

Jul 092012

Explorer LS 4.0L

2012 the front wheel bearing went out. I replaced and repaired the two front wheel bearings myself. I spent about 350-400 for both Timken Wheel hubs.

- , Watauga, TX, USA

Dec 142012

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Right rear wheel bearing is now scheduled to be replaced. This will be the third wheel bearing on the Explorer that I've had to replace. Not happy.

- , Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Jun 232010

Explorer Eddie Bauer

My left front wheel bearing went out at 82,000 miles, to make matters worse this same wheel bearing now needs to be replaced at 118,000 miles!!! I haven't had this fixed yet but this is ridiculous. My right rear wheel bearing is also shot and howling away....never again will I own an Exploder.

- , Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Feb 012013

Explorer XLS V6

Recently went to drive home and made a sharp turn and there was a banging in my steering column. I had taken my vehicle in to a dealership prior to that and he said that my power steering pump would need to be replaced so I thought that was the problem . I didn't realize until later that the car had gone into 4x4 Drive High. I never pushed the button to put the vehicle into 4x4 High. (saw a previous complaint here about the same thing happening with this issue) Later that same night it was fine and I couldn't duplicate the problem the following day and neither could the mechanic. He did however say that the front bearings need to be replaced. He said the parts were about $600 and it should be between $800 and $900 including labor. I asked how serious of a problem it is and how soon I should get it done. He said it is a serious problem as the wheels could fall off. He said the sound would start getting louder before that happens and the car will start shaking. Sure enough, 2-3 weeks later the vehicle started getting louder and I'm not waiting for the shaking/wheel falling off. Bringing it in tomorrow morning for repairs.

- , Basking Ridge, NJ, USA

Nov 082012

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Replaced two front bearings because it was so loud in the vehicle you could not hear yourself think. Than driving on the way home from shopping it felt like I was driving on ice could not go over 30. Come to find out the rear wheel bearing was so bad the tire literally fell off when I pulled into my driveway. Replaced that no vehicle for 3 days. now another one is bad in the front going on second set of wheel bearings ! NICE again ford.

- , Canadian Lakes, MI, USA

Aug 102012

Explorer Limited V6

The dealership actually was pretty fair to me on this one. They estimated $900 to fix the front wheel bearings, but when they fixed the front, they realized one of the rear bearings was bad, too, so they absorbed the cost into their first estimate. I noticed a loud noise and rougher ride. Had my tires rotated at a tire store, but they never said anything about the bearings. I noticed a drop in my gas mileage and that is what finally got me to the dealer. The dealer also did a major tuneup at $500 to address the gas mileage. The vibration is gone, and I'm hoping it fixed the gas mileage.

- , Johns Creek, GA, USA

Dec 012010

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

I bought the car for the my family on Dec. 2006 from a used car dealer, the nightmare started the next year, I had replaced the alternator, 1 front wheel bearing passenger side ( 65,000 miles), the blend door actuator is broken, so no heather in the front ( safety issue in cold weather,, I live in Massachusetts) I'm a hard working father of three, with 2 jobs to support my family doing a lot of sacrifices to send my oldest son to college, Last year the driver side wheel bearing was gone, and also an annoying sensor light on my dashboard ( door ajar) and all the doors and locks are ok, to make the story short, I can not afford spend a lot of money to fix all the problems, I went trough a lot of problems already, with an unsafe and unreliable car for my son, he is traveling 100 miles a day ( round trip) to college in an old Nissan Frontier 2000 who's doing the job very well with no problems for a 225,000 miles old truck, I will not buy any Ford car again, I'm sad, I will like to support the economy in my country, but the last time I had visited a ford dealer I had found that the New scape 2013, the motor is made in Spain, the transmission in the UK, and the tires in China....???? Thank you.

- , Winchendon, MA, USA

Sep 282012

Explorer XLT V6

So this vehicle is overseas and will not pass the german inspection until it is fixed. I've owned cars older than this one and still have them and have never had to replace the bearings. Ford Sucks!! I've had sooo many problems with this vehicle that I have a bad taste in my mouth about Ford vehicles.

- , Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

Apr 012011

Explorer XLT 4.0L

At 100,000 miles both front wheel bearings went out. We continued to hear such a loud roar you couldn't listen to the radio. Replaced the tires that were relatively new thinking they were making the noise as it began being noticed a short while after new tire purchase. Tire replacement didn't help. An incident while driving one day made me realize something was wrong. My husband was able to purchase new complete tire bearings and install them himself which saved a tremendous amount of money. We have only owned Ford products and only would until this time. This car has been a disaster in a multiplicity of ways besides this problem and the major crack in the body below the window which is a common problem I understand. It has never been abused by children as is sometimes the case. We are an older couple and take perfect care of our car. It looks brand new on the inside and outside as far as care but approximately 6 major problems with the cars interior that are completely broken and affecting our ability to enjoy and use the car normally. I will never ever purchase another Ford product or recommend one after this.

- , Pass Christian, MS, USA