- December 2: Ford Recalls 680,000 Fusion, Mondeo and Lincoln MKZ Cars recalls | 9 days ago
- November 28: Ford Panoramic Sunroof Lawsuit Dropped by Plaintiffs news | 13 days ago
- November 25: 2016 Ford Explorer Throttle Body Lawsuit Investigation Opened news | 16 days ago
- November 8: Ford Focus Purge Valve Focus of Lawsuit news | 33 days ago
- November 5: Ford Door Latch Recall Closes Ford Focus Investigation investigations | 36 days ago
Wheel Hub Assembly Failure
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2005 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 98,039 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 11 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace all front hubs and bearings (4 reports)
- replace rear wheel bearings, hubs, knuckles, trailing arms (4 reports)
- replaced left rear wheel bearing assembly (2 reports)
- fixed all four hub assemblies (1 reports)
wheels / hubs problem