Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.

2005 Ford Explorer brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Explorer:

2005 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Apr 012016

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving, a grinding noise emitted from the front passenger side wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the front passenger side brake caliper failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 116,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 292009

I was driving the vehicle at 60 mph when the car in front of me slammed on their brakes and when I attempted to stop nothing happened and I hit the car in front of me wrecking my truck and bruising myself badly.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Apr 072014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Explorer. The contact stated that while driving 30-55 mph, the brakes engaged independently. Additionally, the 4X4 high light and the ABS warning light were illuminated after the failure. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,884 and the current mileage was 77,459.

- Wilmington , NC, USA

Mar 182011

Because of the recent GM recall ignition issue, I thought I should let someone know about the serious similar issue I had 3 times before I traded my car in. The car would just shut off while driving. And all 3 times, I pulled to the side of the road and restarted the car and continued on my way. I was lucky to have a place to pull over safely. I took it to my mechanic twice, found nothing wrong. Took it to Ford and they found nothing wrong. I traded the 2005 for a 2011. I also told the dealer that I traded it into about the engine just shutting off for no reason and to check out the problem before they sold it again.

- Truckee, CA, USA