- July 17: Ford Lawsuit Claims Steering Defects in Ford Fusion and Focus Cars
- July 12: Investigation Looks at Steering Problems in 500,000 Ford Cars
- July 9: Ford Recalls Cars and SUVs for Flying Roof Glass and Roll Away Danger
- June 29: Ford Dealers Told How to Fix Rough Idle and Rattle Noise
- June 25: Ford Recalls F-150 Over Steering Problems, Tells Owners to Park Trucks
2005 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2005 Explorer electrical Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- ABS and 4X4 lights blink and AWD track light on7
- loose all power while driving7
- alternator failure6
- reducing speed with cruise controll causes engine to die5
- tire pressure light flashing on4
- all gauge lights are flashing then it stalls3
- car stalls when cruise control comes on3
- heated seats turns on and off2
- alarm goes off for no reason1
- change oil reminder alarm keeps going off1
- disconnect battery = engine failsafe mode1
- engine fail safe mode1
- headlights and interior lights are not automatic1
- horn works intermittently1
- keyfob not working1
- remotes will not open doors1
- NHTSA: Electrical System18
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.