- September 22: Ford Shattering Sunroofs Cause Class-Action Lawsuit news | 4 days ago
- September 8: Ford Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles Over Door Latches recalls | 18 days ago
- August 28: Ford Explorer Exhaust Lawsuit Settled by Parties news | 29 days ago
- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 32 days ago
- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 50 days ago
2005 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2005 Explorer electrical Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- alternator failure7
- disconnect battery = engine failsafe mode1
- engine fail safe mode1
- engine turns over, won't start1
- NHTSA: Electrical System26
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Alternator/Generator/Regulator1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.