- September 12: Ford Recalls Escape Hybrid and Mercury Mariner Hybrid After Engines Stall
- August 22: Ford Recalls Vehicles With Leaking Gas Tanks and Flying Roof Glass
- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
- August 14: Ford Recalls 83,000 Vehicles Because of One Small C-Clip
- August 8: Ford Recalls Vans and SUVs for Leaking Brake Fluid and Bubbly Windshields
2005 Ford Explorer
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
Worst 2005 Explorer electrical Problems
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2005 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.