- September 22: Ford Shattering Sunroofs Cause Class-Action Lawsuit news | 3 days ago
- September 8: Ford Recalls 2.3 Million Vehicles Over Door Latches recalls | 17 days ago
- August 28: Ford Explorer Exhaust Lawsuit Settled by Parties news | 28 days ago
- August 25: Ford Recalls 113,000 Vehicles in 2 Recalls recalls | 31 days ago
- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 49 days ago
Engine Died For No Reason
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Ford Explorer one of our worst vehicles on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 74,065 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 14 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (11 reports)
- replace timing belt(s) (1 reports)
- replaced fuel pump and fuel filter (1 reports)
- replaced throttle body,fixed harmonic balancer and crank case sensor (1 reports)