- July 17: Ford Lawsuit Claims Steering Defects in Ford Fusion and Focus Cars
- July 12: Investigation Looks at Steering Problems in 500,000 Ford Cars
- July 9: Ford Recalls Cars and SUVs for Flying Roof Glass and Roll Away Danger
- June 29: Ford Dealers Told How to Fix Rough Idle and Rattle Noise
- June 25: Ford Recalls F-150 Over Steering Problems, Tells Owners to Park Trucks
2006 Ford Explorer
AC / heater Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
Worst 2006 Explorer AC / heater Problems
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Explorer Model Years
Curious how the 2006 Explorer compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Explorer overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Explorer.