- July 23: Ford Transit Driveshaft Flexible Coupling Lawsuit Filed news | 3 days ago
- July 20: Ford Expands Chrome Door Handle Cover Recall recalls | 6 days ago
- July 16: Ford Recalls Edge, Fusion and Lincoln MKZ Over Torque Converters recalls | 10 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls Escape and Police Interceptors recalls | 27 days ago
- June 28: Ford Recalls 402,000 Transit Vans For Driveshaft Problems recalls | 28 days ago
NHTSA — Power Train Problems
2006 Ford Explorer (Page 6 of 8)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 3 / 0
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 2 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 69,129 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints: