- June 19: Ford Wins Lincoln Town Car Airbag Lawsuit news | 9 days ago
- June 3: Ford PowerShift Transmission Lawsuit Includes Fiesta and Focus news | 25 days ago
- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 31 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 34 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls Trucks With Aftermarket Door Handle Covers recalls | 34 days ago
NHTSA — Fuel System, Gasoline Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
2.6hardly worth mentioning
- Crashes / Fires:
- 0 / 0
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 0 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 58,044 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.
fuel system problem