- May 16: Ford Antifreeze Leak Recall May Not Be Good Enough news | 6 days ago
- April 23: Ford Explorer Exhaust Leak Lawsuit Dismissed by Judge news | 29 days ago
- April 5: Ford Door Sensor Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 47 days ago
- April 1: Ford Recalls F-250 Trucks Over Rollaway Dangers recalls | 51 days ago
- March 30: Ford Recalls Escape, Fiesta ST, Fusion and Transit Connect After 29 Fires recalls | 53 days ago
2006 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 85,998 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 29 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- new or rebuilt transmission (20 reports)
- go into debt for a new tran (5 reports)
- not sure (4 reports)