- August 7: France Finds Emissions Problems in 86 Vehicle Models news | 17 days ago
- August 4: Ford Recalls 830,000 Vehicles to Keep the Doors Closed When Driving recalls | 20 days ago
- July 8: Ford Explorer Exhaust Smells Investigated investigations | 47 days ago
- June 29: Ford Recalls 8,500 Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs recalls | 56 days ago
- June 7: Sports Car Crash-Test Ratings All Over the Place news | 78 days ago
2006 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 83,040 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 26 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- new or rebuilt transmission (17 reports)
- go into debt for a new tran (5 reports)
- not sure (4 reports)