- February 11: Ford Wins $3 Million Ford Ranger Lawsuit on Appeal news | 14 days ago
- February 1: Ford Sudden Deceleration Lawsuit Aims At Throttle Body System news | 24 days ago
- January 26: Ford Recalls F-150, Focus and C-MAX recalls | 30 days ago
- January 13: Ford Recalls 816,000 Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 43 days ago
- January 1: Ford Power Steering Lawsuit Denied Class-Action Certification news | 55 days ago
2006 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)
CarComplaints.com Notes: The previous generation of Explorer was so awful that the redesign in 2006 was greeted with much optimism. That didn't last long.
The transmission continues to be the Explorer's worst reliability problem. Owners report shifting hard & lunging, typically starting as low as 40k miles with a $1,600 average repair bill. On top of that, the radiator is prone to failure around 60k miles. Repairs for the radiator run $500 to $1,000 & many owners report they've had to replace the radiator multiple times for leaks, indicating a possible design defect in the OEM replacement parts.
Ford did make some significant changes to improve handling and safety. Electronic stability control was added in addition to side impact air bags, but beyond that this is a vehicle that should be avoided at all costs.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 84,390 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 28 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- new or rebuilt transmission (19 reports)
- go into debt for a new tran (5 reports)
- not sure (4 reports)