8.7

$2,714.00

2. rebuild transmission (8 reports)
  3. replace transmission (7 reports)
  4. replace the transfer case (2 reports)
  5. reprogram computer (2 reports)
2007 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Explorer:

2007 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 152009

Explorer Limited 4.6L V8

The Ford Explorer 2007 has an "adaptive transmission". When driving in hilly terrain it "learns" very poorly and upon returning to flatter terrain it shifts erratically. It has only 97,000 km / 65,000 miles on the odometer. I live in an area where there are lots of hills and flat terrain, so the problem has been ongoing for years. The problem remains unresolved, notwithstanding a test drive with the Ford service department's transmission specialist at the wheel, who experienced the shifting problems himself. Lately the problem seems to be getting worse, and I think I'm headed for a major repair bill. Ford of Canada just blows the problem off. I'm about to buy a new SUV, and it won't be a Ford !!

- , Victoria, BC, Canada

Jan 202015

Explorer V6

Ok here goes. January 2015 at 56,500 miles, the transmission began slipping, jerking etc. Took it to the dealer where purchased and was told $3700 for new transmission w/3yr warranty (covered everything), OR $3400 for rebuilt transmission w/1yr warranty (with exclusions). I opted for the new transmission.

Now, on 5-25-15 (Memorial Day) I sit with no vehicle. Transmission started with the slipping, jerking, etc. yesterday. I got it to the same dealer who installed the "new" transmission and will be having words with them first thing on Tuesday morning. The mileage now? Ha...60,250...not even 4,000 miles were put on the "new" transmission that never should have crapped the bed at 56,500.

So, I will be late for work on Tuesday so I can "chat" with my service adviser, and demand a loaner car for being inconvenienced yet again. I am frustrated beyond words and may need bail money after dealing with them tomorrow.

I will provide an update later this week...

Update from Jun 2, 2015: UPDATE 6-2-15

Dealer said the transmission fluid cooler? in the radiator crapped out and I need to replace the whole radiator unit for only $710. I told the service advisor I would not pay a dime more; he passed me onto the service MANAGER who I told the same thing, not a dime more. He would see what he could do for me and callback. Received callback from service advisor; not the manager about an hour or so later. The car is ready and no charge and I should call him in the am so he can let me know what they found. Next day service advisor told me, get this. 'Upon further inspection, they found a pinhole in the transmission fluid line that sprayed fluid ONTO the radiator". Said they replaced the transmission fluid hose, but I asked him about that because the service sheet said they REPAIRED it. Oh he said yes, they repaired the pinhole with hydraulic tape. I asked about the life expectancy of the repair or were there any restrictions on my driving and he said no. I am now questioning whether I ever needed the transmission back in January 2015 and have zero faith in the dealer.

- , Collegeville, PA, USA

Oct 172014

Explorer

Explorer was well maintained, was not happy for the cost!

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Aug 232014

Explorer Limited 4.6L/ V8

I turned 16 back in August, and purchased my 2007 Ford Explorer Limited V8. After saving money for practically my entire life I used it to buy a car I though I would enjoy. I drove the car for about a week before noticing the transmission clunking when accelerating slowly. I noticed that the problem seems to go away under harsh acceleration but slippage occurs when shifting. I hope that Ford takes responsibility for this problem because this seems like it is going to be something I will have to throw money at for years to come.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 132015

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

THIS IS THE SECOND TIME THE TRANSMISSION STARTED GIVING ME PROBLEMS. THE FIRST IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY. I'VE OWNED FORDS MOST OF MY LIFE INCLUDING AN EXPLORER FOR THE PAST 18 YEARS. THIS IS THE FIRST TO HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.

- , Cooper City, FL, USA

Nov 252014

Explorer

just bought a 2007 ford explorer on 11/25/2014.

what a POS. i can't believe i own stock in this company…. I'm strongly considering selling my 20,000 shares

of ford stock. i can't own stock in a company i don't believe in or trust their products.

Just this year, i bought a sl500 benz but I'm really wanting the sl63 instead… i love power… awesome car…. last week i bought a Nissan LEAF…. amazingly quiet peppy little eco-green car… 2 months ago,,, i bought a prius with 210,000 miles on it… it gets 56 mpg and drives like a champ…. then today,,, i did something really stupid and bought a 2007 ford explorer with 125,000 miles…. what a POS. I forgot how bad fords are,,,, but when i bought a ford van 15 years ago… it was a POS also…. I'm kicking myself for forgetting how craptacular these ford products are. every time i try and support american car companies,,,, it comes fiercely to bite me in the arse. How i forget so quickly…. not again. I've owned many Lincoln town cars,,,, best care they ever made…. but, of course, they stop making that model.

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

May 012008

Explorer Limited V6

EX-FORD EMPLOYEE, CONVINCED MY WIFE TO PURCHASE A FORD EXPLORER INSTEAD OF A HONDA SUV. AND TOTALLY REGRET IT!!! SORRY, WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN!!! DON'T OWE ANYTHING ON THIS TRUCK ANYMORE BUT IF I CAN SELL IT FOR THE VALUE AND PROBLEM I WILL BUY THE HONDA MY WIFE WANTED!!!

HAVE HAD THE JERKING LOOKED AT BUT WILL COST AN ARM AND LEG. NOT ONLY THE JERKING HAPPENS WHILE I'M DRIVING AT 60MPH ON THE INTERSTATE, THE 4WD COMES ON WHEN I TURN ON A/C OR HEAT! THE AUTOMATIC ROW BARS FREEZES EVERY NOW AND THEN EVER SINCE I BOUGHT IT. I WOULD HAVE TO LITERALLY CLIMB INTO MY TRUCK.

THE SALES MAN WAS ALL ABOUT SALES NOT CUSTOMER SERVICE. I HAD ALREADY 300 MILES WHEN I BOUGHT THE EXPLORER BUT THEY DIDN'T SPECIFY... FROM THE BEGINNING THIS TRUCK WAS A PROBLEM!!! I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WILL NOT HESITATE TELLING MY PROBLEMS WITH MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS WHEN THEY ARE LOOKING TO BUY A VEHICLE.

- , Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 012012

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Looks great, treated well, but....a piece of junk.

- , Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

we returned 3 different times to the ford dealer to have the issue resolved and each time it was not resolved. at 35000 miles it was popping in 3 rd gear. the battery was charged. at 45000 the fluid was changed because 3rd gear was shifting hard. @59900 the solenoid switch for 3rd gear was changed. somewhat easier shifting but got worse over time and finally at 78000 the 3rd gear would not shift. we were told a new transmission was needed at $3500.00. after working with Ford and the dealer, our cost is down to $900.00. now the transmission will not be available until Mid march. so after discussions a sub with the same warranty was found and hopefully will be in next week.

Ford is liable for this because we did all we could have done to have it corrected while under warranty. I will be buying a truck in the next couple years and a car too, so guess where I will not go for them?

- , Florence, AL, USA

Oct 172013

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Our 2007 Explorer XLT 4.0 has 41,000 miles on it and shifts OK going forward. The major issue occurs when placing the car in Reverse, it is delayed and slams into gear with a Very Loud Clunk. I mentioned the delay when the car was under the 6 year ESP coverage but it really was not very bad at the time and we had no other symptom, such as the CLUNK. Now out of warranty and recently getting worse I just dropped the car off at the Ford Dealer (Toms Ford, Keyport NJ, Great Dealership) and I am waiting for news. I wanted to share my experience going forward since it appears this is a common issue with Ford Transmissions. My other Explorer, a 2006, has over 150k miles and had no symptom at all. I believe there is a design issue and if you drive the vehicle causing it to shift often no matter the mileage the transmission may develop symptoms.

I suspect from reading various complaints my issue is with the Server Bore which requires the transmission to be removed and also the contents of the case removed to repair, so basically a total rebuild.

If the servo Bore is the cause of my symptom I will be calling ford and obviously if they make no attempt to assist in funding the repair I will be switching to another manufacturer for my next purchase. All cars can have issues no matter who makes them. This may be my last domestic purchase but it really depends on ford’s decision to make adjustments do to the very low mileage.

We will see.

More to come.

- , Staten Island, NY, USA

May 012008

Explorer

I bought this 2007 Explorer new from the dealer and complained about the transmission slamming into gear intermittently about a year after we bought it. It's been a chronic pain and embarrassment driving to have the car lurching forward and slamming into gear! They could never find anything and the problem got worse over time. The warranty is good for 60,000 miles so I brought the car to dealer again with 59,000 miles on it and they said oh yeah there is a problem, but unfortunately it's not covered by the warranty because although the miles are within the limit, the time limit just passed by 2 months, so it will cost me $3,200 to fix the problem!!! This absolutely stinks of a sham that was perpetrated on me!! The old string em out of the warranty then wallop the begeezes out of em trick!!! Ford knew, and it's well documented, that Ford Explorers have faulty transmissions and now Ford will not stand behind their product!!! It would be impossible to remain a Ford customer on future car purchases when the brand trust is shattered!! If they won't honor their own warranty the good faith in Ford is unfortunately out the window! I called Ford Corporate and have spoken to several people and I'm waiting for a call back from someone in management. I won't hold my breath but I'm clinging to a hope that Ford will come through I won't have to jump from the Ford brand I was loyal to for so many years because they reneged on their warranty!

- , West Haven, CT, USA

Feb 062012

Explorer XLT 3.2L

Not only does my truck slip gears & make a horrible bang noise but it also makes that horrible bang noise in reverse. The reverse noise started first and I called the dealer when I first noticed it and was told that's what ford's do in reverse, it's the 4x4.Stupidly I believed it, now it's much worse, your foot is on the brake pedal pressing all the way to the floor and the truck jumps when you put it in reverse. The transmission light never came on and the transmission shop said he rebuilds a lot of the explorers, he wasn't surprised. Great! $2800 estimate on top of $20,000 purchase price with only 82K miles on the truck.

- , Greenville, RI, USA

Jan 302013

Explorer Limited V6

I owe a little over $18,000.00 on my truck and it has given me so many problems. But the transmission has taken the cake. It came out of no where. At this time it has been at a Ford dealership for 7 days. I am done with Ford... The body of the car is nice but the headache with under the hood is not worth it.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 162013

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

Transmission jerked and paused for quite a while. Car finally quite on me and had to replace PCM. not sure if transmission caused problem.

- , clarkston, MI, USA

Mar 012012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Ive about had it with this issue. I cant fix it because it is not covered under warranty and I don't know about you but I don't exactly have $3500 sitting around in my pocket. The main issue I have with it is shifting from first to second or second to third. First to second is the most common, and GOD FORBID i want to put it in reverse... I move we raise hell and force Ford to issue a recall!!

- , Hamilton, OH, USA

Jan 062013

Explorer XLT V6 4.0L 4wd

5 payments into my certified used 2007 explorer it had been in 3 times for transmission leaks at dealer never mentioned shavings in tranny fluid which they refilled each time. 2 months later after warranty expired tranny blew with no notice. 2850.00 to rebuild and install never buy from lima auto mall or trust dealership to stand up to certified vehicles again.

- , Buckland, OH, USA

Nov 012012

Explorer V6

I took my vehicle in to ford service with an appt and almost a week later they still don't have a clue as to what's wrong and now they are telling me that they have to take the transmission apart to find out what's going on . I paid for an extended warranty and I have to wait for the car to be diagnosed before they will give me a loaner car and they are taking their sweet time. I'm paying for something that I ca not even use. Why is ford using these bad transmissions in these vehicles this is my second explorer and I'm having the same problem that I had with the first one why did I get another one stupid me. Ford needs to stop taking folks for their money a transmission should last longer!

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Nov 082012

Explorer Limited V6

Bought the car with a bumper to bumper warranty for life of the car and had all maintenance done through the dealer now they are saying it is not covered through the warranty!

- , Bel Air, MD, USA

Jun 252012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Transmission problem at 68K and the Ford company will not replace it at their cost - never again will I buy a Ford car. This purchase has been one big mistake. My husband convinced me to purchase American made. I was raised driving imported cars such as Hondas and Toyotas all my life and never had any major problem with these cars. My Ford purchase has been one big mistake. In addition, little parts inside the car such as the knob that controls the vent to the back and the lighted visors have broken off about 3 years after buying the car. I am convinced that Ford uses poor quality parts to build their cars. What a shame...

- , Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Apr 062012

Explorer Limited 4.3L 3v V8

occasionally..after stopping and then continuing to drive..the engine revs hi and will not get into higher gear...

- , Saint Simons Island, GA, USA