8.6

$2,880.00

2. rebuild transmission (8 reports)
  3. replace transmission (4 reports)
  4. replace the transfer case (2 reports)
  5. reprogram computer (2 reports)
2007 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Explorer:

2007 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012012

Explorer Eddie Bauer

Looks great, treated well, but....a piece of junk.

- , Monmouth Junction, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

we returned 3 different times to the ford dealer to have the issue resolved and each time it was not resolved. at 35000 miles it was popping in 3 rd gear. the battery was charged. at 45000 the fluid was changed because 3rd gear was shifting hard. @59900 the solenoid switch for 3rd gear was changed. somewhat easier shifting but got worse over time and finally at 78000 the 3rd gear would not shift. we were told a new transmission was needed at $3500.00. after working with Ford and the dealer, our cost is down to $900.00. now the transmission will not be available until Mid march. so after discussions a sub with the same warranty was found and hopefully will be in next week.

Ford is liable for this because we did all we could have done to have it corrected while under warranty. I will be buying a truck in the next couple years and a car too, so guess where I will not go for them?

- , Florence, Alabama, USA

Oct 172013

Explorer XLT 4.0L

Our 2007 Explorer XLT 4.0 has 41,000 miles on it and shifts OK going forward. The major issue occurs when placing the car in Reverse, it is delayed and slams into gear with a Very Loud Clunk. I mentioned the delay when the car was under the 6 year ESP coverage but it really was not very bad at the time and we had no other symptom, such as the CLUNK. Now out of warranty and recently getting worse I just dropped the car off at the Ford Dealer (Toms Ford, Keyport NJ, Great Dealership) and I am waiting for news. I wanted to share my experience going forward since it appears this is a common issue with Ford Transmissions. My other Explorer, a 2006, has over 150k miles and had no symptom at all. I believe there is a design issue and if you drive the vehicle causing it to shift often no matter the mileage the transmission may develop symptoms.

I suspect from reading various complaints my issue is with the Server Bore which requires the transmission to be removed and also the contents of the case removed to repair, so basically a total rebuild.

If the servo Bore is the cause of my symptom I will be calling ford and obviously if they make no attempt to assist in funding the repair I will be switching to another manufacturer for my next purchase. All cars can have issues no matter who makes them. This may be my last domestic purchase but it really depends on ford’s decision to make adjustments do to the very low mileage.

We will see.

More to come.

- , Staten Island, New York, USA

May 012008

Explorer

I bought this 2007 Explorer new from the dealer and complained about the transmission slamming into gear intermittently about a year after we bought it. It's been a chronic pain and embarrassment driving to have the car lurching forward and slamming into gear! They could never find anything and the problem got worse over time. The warranty is good for 60,000 miles so I brought the car to dealer again with 59,000 miles on it and they said oh yeah there is a problem, but unfortunately it's not covered by the warranty because although the miles are within the limit, the time limit just passed by 2 months, so it will cost me $3,200 to fix the problem!!! This absolutely stinks of a sham that was perpetrated on me!! The old string em out of the warranty then wallop the begeezes out of em trick!!! Ford knew, and it's well documented, that Ford Explorers have faulty transmissions and now Ford will not stand behind their product!!! It would be impossible to remain a Ford customer on future car purchases when the brand trust is shattered!! If they won't honor their own warranty the good faith in Ford is unfortunately out the window! I called Ford Corporate and have spoken to several people and I'm waiting for a call back from someone in management. I won't hold my breath but I'm clinging to a hope that Ford will come through I won't have to jump from the Ford brand I was loyal to for so many years because they reneged on their warranty!

- , West Haven, CT, USA

Feb 062012

Explorer XLT 3.2L

Not only does my truck slip gears & make a horrible bang noise but it also makes that horrible bang noise in reverse. The reverse noise started first and I called the dealer when I first noticed it and was told that's what ford's do in reverse, it's the 4x4.Stupidly I believed it, now it's much worse, your foot is on the brake pedal pressing all the way to the floor and the truck jumps when you put it in reverse. The transmission light never came on and the transmission shop said he rebuilds a lot of the explorers, he wasn't surprised. Great! $2800 estimate on top of $20,000 purchase price with only 82K miles on the truck.

- , Greenville, RI, USA

Jan 302013

Explorer Limited V6

I owe a little over $18,000.00 on my truck and it has given me so many problems. But the transmission has taken the cake. It came out of no where. At this time it has been at a Ford dealership for 7 days. I am done with Ford... The body of the car is nice but the headache with under the hood is not worth it.

- , Columbus, Ohio, USA

Jan 162013

Explorer LX 3.2L V6

Transmission jerked and paused for quite a while. Car finally quite on me and had to replace PCM. not sure if transmission caused problem.

- , clarkston, Michigan, USA

Mar 012012

Explorer XLT 4.0L V6

Ive about had it with this issue. I cant fix it because it is not covered under warranty and I don't know about you but I don't exactly have $3500 sitting around in my pocket. The main issue I have with it is shifting from first to second or second to third. First to second is the most common, and GOD FORBID i want to put it in reverse... I move we raise hell and force Ford to issue a recall!!

- , Hamilton, Ohio, USA

Jan 062013

Explorer XLT V6 4.0L 4wd

5 payments into my certified used 2007 explorer it had been in 3 times for transmission leaks at dealer never mentioned shavings in tranny fluid which they refilled each time. 2 months later after warranty expired tranny blew with no notice. 2850.00 to rebuild and install never buy from lima auto mall or trust dealership to stand up to certified vehicles again.

- , Buckland, OH, USA

Nov 012012

Explorer V6

I took my vehicle in to ford service with an appt and almost a week later they still don't have a clue as to what's wrong and now they are telling me that they have to take the transmission apart to find out what's going on . I paid for an extended warranty and I have to wait for the car to be diagnosed before they will give me a loaner car and they are taking their sweet time. I'm paying for something that I ca not even use. Why is ford using these bad transmissions in these vehicles this is my second explorer and I'm having the same problem that I had with the first one why did I get another one stupid me. Ford needs to stop taking folks for their money a transmission should last longer!

- , Killeen, TX, USA

Nov 082012

Explorer Limited V6

Bought the car with a bumper to bumper warranty for life of the car and had all maintenance done through the dealer now they are saying it is not covered through the warranty!

- , Bel Air, MD, USA

Jun 252012

Explorer Eddie Bauer V6

Transmission problem at 68K and the Ford company will not replace it at their cost - never again will I buy a Ford car. This purchase has been one big mistake. My husband convinced me to purchase American made. I was raised driving imported cars such as Hondas and Toyotas all my life and never had any major problem with these cars. My Ford purchase has been one big mistake. In addition, little parts inside the car such as the knob that controls the vent to the back and the lighted visors have broken off about 3 years after buying the car. I am convinced that Ford uses poor quality parts to build their cars. What a shame...

- , Mission Viejo, CALIFORNIA, USA

Apr 062012

Explorer Limited 4.3L 3v V8

occasionally..after stopping and then continuing to drive..the engine revs hi and will not get into higher gear...

- , Saint Simons Island, GA, USA

Nov 152011

Explorer Limited V8

Took it to dealer. Said they could not find any problem

- , Dover, MA, USA

Sep 242010

Explorer

Since Sept 09 my Ford has been in the shop three times for same prob. Three times in same week just to figure it out then two ther sep times in 2011. The transmission jerks in drive and reverse. It hesitates when shifting gears. The last time I was in the shop the car drove away with a stearing problem. This car is a piece of crap.........

- , Brick, NJ, USA

Jun 012011

Explorer

transmission shuld be covered based on cost of car.

- , Patterson, New York, USA

Nov 012010

Explorer

had I researched this first we would never have bought the Ford. 2 weeks after having the transmission repaired, they had to tow it back to the dealership because it would not shift into reverse or drive. I will update this with their outcome, they better replace it.

- , Kernersville, NC, USA

Sep 012010

Explorer

Same situation as other Ford Explorer owners. Mechanic is repairing to the tune of $3k, said he sees this problem on a regular basis. PO'd, will not buy from Ford, they didn't need stimulus money, figured they could make enough off replacement parts. Kill me, kill me now.

- , Carrollton, TX, USA

Jul 012008

Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.6L V8

I have 2007 ford explorer eddie bauer edition with 4.6L V8 engine. I really like my car except that it jerks forward when I'm slowing down to stop. This occurs as my transmission down-shifts from either 3rd to 2nd gear or 2nd to 1st gear. It is a significant problem. It lunges my car forward when I'm braking to stop.

- , Long Island City, NY, USA

Jul 012010

Explorer V6

Have had the transmission finally replaced only thing is the car still runs like sh*t!!!!!! Even worse then before it sound loud as hell slips when trying to kick in gear and makes a loud screeching noise! The funny thing is the car place says there is nothing wrong with it! Went to Ford DEALER WAS TOLD IT WOULD BE $150.00 to once again see what is wrong with the car! That's crazy!

- , Whittier, CA, USA